Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Feature Requests for Refreshed model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the words "NO NEW NEWS on the M3 Update" in the title, because I'm tired of viewing videos and news reports about "M3 Highland secrets revealed," based on vapor. Lets be real. Nobody really knows much of anything on the internet based on reality. All these YouTube Tesla "experts" show the same black "secret" new M3 spy pictures with different headlights, and the rest of the vehicle is covered with a car tarp. All these pundit wannabe's imply that they are breaking a hot news story about the updated M3, when they really don't know diddly, and are trying to justify their existence.

I own a 2023 M3, and quite frankly, it is relatively perfect except for a few glaring deficits.

(1) Simply put, a car of this caliber should have a set of basic gauges in front of the driver. I assume that Tesla was trying to same money, by not having an instrument panel in front of the driver, like every other vehicle (land, sea, air, and outer space) in existence. I notice that the more expensive Tesla vehicles have gauges, and I doubt if deleting them saves that much money. You can added various aftermarket instrument gauge packages for between $200 to $600, which means it really costs $50-$100 in parts. The other reason not to include dash-mounted gauges, as I recall, was that Tesla engineers thought no one would be driving their own cars anymore due to the perfection of Full-Self-Driving software. How's that working out? I pay for the FSD software, but it is far from perfected. To me it doesn't make driving simpler; I find that it requires more attention, because the FSD software keeps making stupid mistakes at non-standard intersections. In my own M3LR I have installed the Hansshow 10.25" Instrument Display with front camera and the Sixth Element Knight Rider Dry Carbon Steering Wheel with the open upper aspect of the wheel, and the view is spectacular.

(2) There should have been a front camera originally installed in all the vehicles, because people like to know when they are running into those parking lot concrete curbs, staked into the asphalt with exposed rusty rebar rods. Not all of us drive monster trucks with 2 feet of clearance (or 0.61 meters for metric countries). I have added front and rear cameras to older cars, so I am familiar with the prices of the necessary parts, and I know it is not expensive. As I recall, there was a US motor vehicle regulation passed a while back that mandated OEM back-up cameras in all vehicles starting in 2014, to prevent blindly backing up and injurying little children. All the car manufacturers cried that they couldn't include back-up cameras, because no one would be able to afford to purchase new cars anymore. Let's face it, they just didn't feel like doing anything tp prevent injuries until they were forced.

(3) You really need a 360 degree camera set-up, whether you called it a surround camera or bird's eye view. Parking spaces are tighter and tighter every year. If you want the try to decrease the number of door dents from other cars, you need to park in the center of the parking space, even if the other person is not as considerate as yourself. And speaking of cameras, the Tesla vehicles have an almost great rear view camera except that it gives profound fish-eye distortion. Some aftermarket cameras electronically straighten the image so the distortion is minimized in wide-angle cameras. Pioneer has marketed such a camera for many years (approx. $200). I hope I haven't offended any fish reading this comment. I believe that Mercedes has a motorized rear camera which rotates to lessen the distortion, but I would imagine that it's a rather expensive option.

(4) Tesla should have just left the perimeter (U/S and Radar) sensors in the cars. Tesla states that their data shows most people didn't use them, so they were removed. REALLY????? What date backs this up? After six months they finally modified the software somewhat to partially duplicate the sensors functions, but it is really not the same. Everyone knows it, But Tesla refuses to admit it. I'm not sure it was a great place to save money.

So, I realize I carry no weight in the automotive industry, but common sense is common sense. My suggestions for an updated M3 would be as follows:

(1) Put in a set of gauges in front of the driver (slam dunk)
(2) Put in a 360 surround camera system (slam dunk -- seems to be possibly planned)
(3) Put in a front camera, close to ground level (slam dunk -- seems to be planned)
(4) Fix the rear wide-angle camera distortion
(5) Stop wasting time on dancing lights with music as well as fart noises.
(6) Do you really need another version of red paint? This would be the fourth version throughout the years. I have an Acura RDX in Phantom Violet Pearl. It was a nightmare to fix a scratch.

There was an old descriptive abbreviation used at Hewlett Packard (Hp) referred to as "NIH." Some of you might think this refers to the National Institutes of Health, but at Hp it meant "NOT INVENTED HERE." So that if we didn't invent it here, it can't be of any good. Sometimes you just have to listen to other people (in addition to Sandy Munro).
screenshot-cdn.motor1.com-2023.05.30-13_03_27.png
screenshot-cdn.motor1.com-2023.05.30-13_03_27.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 1
"Spy photos" have been around for decades. When there were maybe three reputable car enthusiast publications, they were fun to see in all their grainy Sasquatch glory. I still enjoy seeing them... and then moving on. Unfortunately, the WWW is ripe for this silliness. (I really like the new front end)🙃

Production of Highland allegedly will begin in China as early as this week so we may finally know the details very soon via leak. What I do know as fact is there is no shortage of inventory in my city for M3's whereas 5-seat MY's are selling out as soon as they show up but 7 seaters are readily available. The current discounts aren't enough to entice me to buy an M3 now when I can wait for 4 months for Highland which likely will be the same price or less so my guess is Tesla will try to guard details about Highland as best possible as it will make their inventory issue worse.

I'm not holding my breath, but if Elon lowers the prices of the M3 significantly to purge inventory like a 5K discount all inventory would probably be sold within days especially on the M3 RWD. I'm holding out for HW4, but since I have no intention of buying or subscribing to FSD I'd be happy to pickup a 2023 at a good price.

Previous car had HUD - I miss it. Audi, Mercedes, BMW have augmented reality HUD that looks nice, but Tesla could do even better with all the information the car has.

Panasonic image from years ago. HUD can warn you about upcoming obstacles before typical car UI has a need to alert you. I think AR HUD is going to advance a lot in the coming years.

1685513051222.png

it doesn’t need anymore gauges than it already has.

A HUD would be cool but not necessary.

It could use cross traffic alerts on the back up sensors. It’s standard on far cheaper vehicles

this whole model S centre screen is completely unecessary. Model 3s screen is perfect - but it really oughta have a hud showing Speed and directions/nav points or ideally the map.

Previous car had HUD - I miss it. Audi, Mercedes, BMW have augmented reality HUD that looks nice, but Tesla could do even better with all the information the car has.

Panasonic image from years ago. HUD can warn you about upcoming obstacles before typical car UI has a need to alert you. I think AR HUD is going to advance a lot in the coming years.

View attachment 942649

id totally pay a decent chunk to get an upgrade and replacement windscreen to have this.

Reactions: pilotSteve
this whole model S centre screen is completely unecessary. Model 3s screen is perfect - but it really oughta have a hud showing Speed and directions/nav points or ideally the map.
I appreciate your comment, but perhaps you might explain why every other car on the planet including the Model S and X have a gauge package right in front of the driver? Could 7.89 billion people be wrong? Please compare the attached pictures with the average Model 3.

NIH
NIH
NIH

Maybe you would be able to explain why there is no 360 degree surround view camera system. There are a multitude of posted comments that want this feature, too. The parts are inexpensive, so cost can't be a factor. Also, virtually every new EV competitor has this option.

NIH
NIH
NIH (Not Inverted Here)

20230422_122911.jpg

20230423_184312.jpg

20230414_132416.jpg
20230422_112929.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
I appreciate your comment, but perhaps you might explain why every other car on the planet including the Model S and X have a gauge package right in front of the driver? Could 7.89 billion people be wrong? Please compare the attached pictures with the average Model 3.

NIH
NIH
NIH

Maybe you would be able to explain why there is no 360 degree surround view camera system. There are a multitude of posted comments that want this feature, too. The parts are inexpensive, so cost can't be a factor. Also, virtually every new EV competitor has this option.

NIH
NIH
NIH (Not Inverted Here)

View attachment 942695

View attachment 942696

View attachment 942697View attachment 942698
I totally agree I hate nt having a gauge cluster in my Y, but I also cant bring my self to add thoes aftermarket clusters. I want an OEM solution

I totally agree I hate nt having a gauge cluster in my Y, but I also cant bring my self to add thoes aftermarket clusters. I want an OEM solution
I agree with your reluctance to add stuff that should have been already there. I installed the Hansshow 9" display which was super easy (in retrospect), but I wanted the front camera display, so I bought the 10.25" display which was a pain to install, because you have to run a power line and video cable through the "Pseudo-Firewall." All the holes that people used previously to run wires from the fronk to the dashboard don't exist anymore. Going through the monster grommet on the passenger side is a rather "blind stick," because you can't see the passenger side of the grommet. And don't go along side the grommet as suggested in some of the videos. That's a bad idea. The grommet on the driver's side, at least for me, was preferable, because there were less other OEM wires running through the grommet. (It also gave me the excuse to buy this really cool Teslong TD500 articulating fiberoptic borescope.) Unfortunately, you have to separate the Hansshow video and power wires from the rest of the cable, because you still need to connect to the CANBUS connector on the passenger side but not the one on the driver's side. Additionally, I had to cut the video cable and reattach the mini-wires in the cable after running it through the grommet, because the connector is so big (not for the faint of heart -- unless you have magnifying loupes and are familiar with doubly shielded video cables). I also had to construct a different Camera mount to hide the camera within the grill, rather than sticking out with the included cable. Anyway, this stuff should have been there in the first place.

InkedInked20230225_151834.jpg

TD500 Borescope.JPG

I put the words "NO NEW NEWS on the M3 Update" in the title, because I'm tired of viewing videos and news reports about "M3 Highland secrets revealed," based on vapor. Lets be real. Nobody really knows much of anything on the internet based on reality. All these YouTube Tesla "experts" show the same black "secret" new M3 spy pictures with different headlights, and the rest of the vehicle is covered with a car tarp. All these pundit wannabe's imply that they are breaking a hot news story about the updated M3, when they really don't know diddly, and are trying to justify their existence.

I own a 2023 M3, and quite frankly, it is relatively perfect except for a few glaring deficits.

(1) Simply put, a car of this caliber should have a set of basic gauges in front of the driver. I assume that Tesla was trying to same money, by not having an instrument panel in front of the driver, like every other vehicle (land, sea, air, and outer space) in existence. I notice that the more expensive Tesla vehicles have gauges, and I doubt if deleting them saves that much money. You can added various aftermarket instrument gauge packages for between $200 to $600, which means it really costs $50-$100 in parts. The other reason not to include dash-mounted gauges, as I recall, was that Tesla engineers thought no one would be driving their own cars anymore due to the perfection of Full-Self-Driving software. How's that working out? I pay for the FSD software, but it is far from perfected. To me it doesn't make driving simpler; I find that it requires more attention, because the FSD software keeps making stupid mistakes at non-standard intersections. In my own M3LR I have installed the Hansshow 10.25" Instrument Display with front camera and the Sixth Element Knight Rider Dry Carbon Steering Wheel with the open upper aspect of the wheel, and the view is spectacular.

(2) There should have been a front camera originally installed in all the vehicles, because people like to know when they are running into those parking lot concrete curbs, staked into the asphalt with exposed rusty rebar rods. Not all of us drive monster trucks with 2 feet of clearance (or 0.61 meters for metric countries). I have added front and rear cameras to older cars, so I am familiar with the prices of the necessary parts, and I know it is not expensive. As I recall, there was a US motor vehicle regulation passed a while back that mandated OEM back-up cameras in all vehicles starting in 2014, to prevent blindly backing up and injurying little children. All the car manufacturers cried that they couldn't include back-up cameras, because no one would be able to afford to purchase new cars anymore. Let's face it, they just didn't feel like doing anything tp prevent injuries until they were forced.

(3) You really need a 360 degree camera set-up, whether you called it a surround camera or bird's eye view. Parking spaces are tighter and tighter every year. If you want the try to decrease the number of door dents from other cars, you need to park in the center of the parking space, even if the other person is not as considerate as yourself. And speaking of cameras, the Tesla vehicles have an almost great rear view camera except that it gives profound fish-eye distortion. Some aftermarket cameras electronically straighten the image so the distortion is minimized in wide-angle cameras. Pioneer has marketed such a camera for many years (approx. $200). I hope I haven't offended any fish reading this comment. I believe that Mercedes has a motorized rear camera which rotates to lessen the distortion, but I would imagine that it's a rather expensive option.

(4) Tesla should have just left the perimeter (U/S and Radar) sensors in the cars. Tesla states that their data shows most people didn't use them, so they were removed. REALLY????? What date backs this up? After six months they finally modified the software somewhat to partially duplicate the sensors functions, but it is really not the same. Everyone knows it, But Tesla refuses to admit it. I'm not sure it was a great place to save money.

So, I realize I carry no weight in the automotive industry, but common sense is common sense. My suggestions for an updated M3 would be as follows:

(2) Put in a 360 surround camera system (slam dunk -- seems to be possibly planned)
(3) Put in a front camera, close to ground level (slam dunk -- seems to be planned)
(6) Do you really need another version of red paint? This would be the fourth version throughout the years. I have an Acura RDX in Phantom Violet Pearl. It was a nightmare to fix a scratch.

There was an old descriptive abbreviation used at Hewlett Packard (Hp) referred to as "NIH." Some of you might think this refers to the National Institutes of Health, but at Hp it meant "NOT INVENTED HERE." So that if we didn't invent it here, it can't be of any good. Sometimes you just have to listen to other people (in addition to Sandy Munro).View attachment 942486
Just rumors and speculation till it shows up. It's the YouTubers dream - they all try to get views based on their notion of what they think could be the changes. The bait they spin a million different ways. Pure BS and nonsense till Elon announces the new/revised model is ready for delivery.

NIH
NIH
NIH

NIH
NIH
NIH (Not Inverted Here)

View attachment 942695

View attachment 942696

View attachment 942697View attachment 942698

not every car does this. centre gauges are seen on several other cars and theres nothing inheritantly wrong with it. The distance for the eyes is very similar. Car without a dash in front of the driver are known for exellent road visibility and percieved to be slightly safer due to that. That was also the reason they did the centre speedo for the BMW z8 - they wanted a proper highway cruiser with unobstructed views.

i have seen those aliexpress screens and been following them for a while (because it would be nice to get waze /highway radar on the screen). but the issue is that it copies information from the main screen and theres no way to shrink that (bit weird to have two speedos next to each other) and the gui looks horrible chinese and unit looks cheap. It doesnt fit into the car, doesnt fit into the small steering wheel and makes the car look horribly cheap. So definetly a no go.

Lack of 360 degree surround view is i think a mobieye patent issue which tesla does not want to pay for. Its not a camera issue like people mentioned. theres cars just with a rearview camera who get a decent surround view with image processing.

_DSC1512.jpg

Last edited:

There was an old descriptive abbreviation used at Hewlett Packard (Hp) referred to as "NIH." Some of you might think this refers to the National Institutes of Health, but at Hp it meant "NOT INVENTED HERE." So that if we didn't invent it here, it can't be of any good. Sometimes you just have to listen to other people (in addition to Sandy Munro).View attachment 942486
I think it' interesting that you call the M3 perfect with 6 glaring faults which should've been there from the beginning. So many other cars have these features

not every car does this. centre gauges are seen on several other cars and theres nothing inheritantly wrong with it. The distance for the eyes is very similar. Car without a dash in front of the driver are known for exellent road visibility and percieved to be slightly safer due to that. That was also the reason they did the centre speedo for the BMW z8 - they wanted a proper highway cruiser with unobstructed views.

i have seen those aliexpress screens and been following them for a while (because it would be nice to get waze /highway radar on the screen). but the issue is that it copies information from the main screen and theres no way to shrink that (bit weird to have two speedos next to each other) and the gui looks horrible chinese and unit looks cheap. It doesnt fit into the car, doesnt fit into the small steering wheel and makes the car look horribly cheap. So definetly a no go.

Lack of 360 degree surround view is i think a mobieye patent issue which tesla does not want to pay for. Its not a camera issue like people mentioned. theres cars just with a rearview camera who get a decent surround view with image processing.

View attachment 942969
Point #1: Very interesting. I guess there were other vehicles such as the BMW Z8 without a driver-centric instrument panel. Now let me see.....About how many Z8's were sold in the last 20 years. It appears to be very close to zero vehicles, since the last year of Z8 sales was 2003. Maybe not such a good example. Probably the infinitesimally small Z8 sales numbers were because nobody liked the dashboard or perhaps it was the exorbitant price. So, if you compare the sales of 2022 worldwide Tesla Vehicles (primarily Models 3 and Y, with central instrument display) against the sales of other cars with a driver-side instrument panel, the figures appears to be as follows:

2022 Tesla Vehicles with no driver-centric instruments: approx -- 1.235 million
2022 All other vehicles sold with driver-side instrument panels: approx -- 65.765 million

Therefore the ratio of vehicles sold with driver-side instruments compared to center-instrument-only vehicles indicates that the world population is 53.25 times more likely to purchase a vehicle with driver-side instruments. Elon Musk appears to be very interested in sales numbers, so it would seem to be obvious to produce a vehicle which would be 53 times more likely to be purchased.

Point #2: I don't quite agree with the patent expenses concept. Perhaps it is true that there could be a large cost of directly using the patented technology of the Mobile-Eye or the Birds-Eye View systems, but these are only if one wanted to utilize a software-only solution. The Models 3 and Y are being revised, including additional cameras. The 360 degree surround camera hardware systems have been around for years and require minimal if any CPU usage. Typically there are four cameras. One in front, one in the rear, and one on each side view mirror. This technology is so old that I doubt if there is any patent still to enforce. The stuff is inexpensive, especially if you buy in bulk.

May I repeat:

NIH
NIH
NIH (not invented here)

I would like to point out that I am not some sort of Tesla-basher. I doubt if I would ever buy another ICE car. There is always room for improvement.

Reactions: Brou