Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Feature Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My feature request is have limited features (well at first at least). Bring them in later model years. All these extra features add huge R&D costs, push out the development time-frame, and become a warranty nightmare if and when they fail. Back to basics IMO is the only way the model 3 can become successful, reliable, and profitable. Once the production numbers become appealing bring in the cool features. They should concentrate purely on safety, styling, practicality, performance (range) and achieving the nominated price point.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I really hope the Model 3 is NOT is a traditional sedan with all metal door into its trunk. I much prefer the hatchback style back door with a window in the Model S. If the Model 3 was a traditional sedan, I would have to go with a bolt or wait for the Model Y.

To be honest I think the traditional sedan like you describe will die off slowly at some stage in the future so not to worry. The hatchback styling is already becoming much more popular these days due the aerodynamics and practicality improvements. Yeah - a hatchback that looks like a sedan is my preferred choice too.

My feature request is have limited features (well at first at least). Bring them in later model years. All these extra features add huge R&D costs, push out the development time-frame, and become a warranty nightmare if and when they fail. Back to basics IMO is the only way the model 3 can become successful, reliable, and profitable.

But the R&D has already been completed on most of the features already. (i.e. don't expect to get anything that isn't already in production on the Model S or Model X.)

Here is my guess as to what we are looking at, with everything having already been tested on the S/X, other than maybe smaller motors and a new battery design:
Option Model 3
Base$35,000.00
Paint$1,000.00
Larger battery$7,500.00
AWD$5,000.00
Wheels$2,500.00
Auto-Pilot$2,500.00
Leather Seats$2,000.00
Premium Interior$3,000.00
Panoramic Roof$1,500.00
Fancy interior trim$750.00
HiFi upgrade$2,000.00
Sub-Zero$1,000.00
Peformance$10,000.00
Ludicrous$5,000.00
Smart Air Suspension$2,500.00
Carbon Fiber Spoiler$1,000.00
$82,250.00

But the R&D has already been completed on most of the features already. (i.e. don't expect to get anything that isn't already in production on the Model S or Model X.)

Here is my guess as to what we are looking at, with everything having already been tested on the S/X, other than maybe smaller motors and a new battery design:
Option Model 3
Base$35,000.00
Paint$1,000.00
Larger battery$7,500.00
AWD$5,000.00
Wheels$2,500.00
Auto-Pilot$2,500.00
Leather Seats$2,000.00
Panoramic Roof$1,500.00
HiFi upgrade$2,000.00
Sub-Zero$1,000.00
Peformance$10,000.00
Ludicrous$5,000.00

$82,250.00

Seems pretty reasonable...and if it's close to this, I'd actually leave a lot of boxes unchecked and top out at $55K. We just have to wait to find out little crumbs of facts here and there over the next year and a half....

I don't see them doing the smart air, but the list is otherwise reasonable. They'd probably combine some (e.g., leather seating+premium interior together). Model S base to fully loaded price difference is more than 60k, so I can see the min to max on Model 3 approaching that.

I don't see them doing the smart air, but the list is otherwise reasonable. They'd probably combine some (e.g., leather seating+premium interior together). Model S base to fully loaded price difference is more than 60k, so I can see the min to max on Model 3 approaching that.

While I could see that makes sense, combing those two would make it a ~$5,000 option pack which is on the expensive side. (I actually assume that they won't do that, because like with the wheels the seats can just be thrown in at the end and don't really impact the production line.)

The BMW 3 series has an option for fancy suspension, so I could see that Tesla would do that too, but maybe less expensive than the Smart Air version. (And it makes sense since they like to keep the clearance low for better mileage but some people need more clearance to get in to their driveway, etc.)

The real question is will the base model include Supercharging or will that add $2,000? (I didn't include it in my list because I assume it would be included when going to the larger battery like it was on the Model S.)

Last edited:
I really don't think we will see a 2 wheel drive option, and I doubt the model X will end up with it. They have proven the dual motor is a more efficient option and the range on the model 3 is a key design feature.

Also simplistic only means less adventurous, any feature the other teslas have are fair game, your going to see non traditional door handles if it has any at all.

Option Model 3
Base$35,000.00
Paint$1,000.00
Larger battery$7,500.00
AWD$5,000.00
Wheels$2,500.00
Auto-Pilot$2,500.00
Leather Seats$2,000.00
Panoramic Roof$1,500.00
HiFi upgrade$2,000.00
Sub-Zero$1,000.00
Peformance$10,000.00
Ludicrous$5,000.00

$82,250.00

Yikes. Just seeing $80K+ anywhere near Model 3 is disastrous imho, from a psychological/PR perspective.

I look at it this way: Elon repeatedly talks about Model 3 being roughly 20% smaller than the S. Okay, well, I would carry that reduction into the options pricing as well...

I would expect premium paint to be 20% less, for sure. I'd expect interior trim, pano roof, all those things to be 20% less than S. Why? Smaller car, smaller everything, economies of scale, etc.

Performance at $10K? Yikes. I'd bet it's more like $6-7.5K.

Basically, I would expect Tesla to aim for the absolute all-out fully-loaded options version of the car to be just under the bare-bones model of the S, so, right around $69K. That way, you don't see headlines blaring, "Model 3 More Expensive Than Model S! Elon Lied!" etc etc because that is all anyone would remember.

First, I highly doubt they will release pricing at this level of detail. Pricing will be vague, especially options right up to deliveries. Of course this lack of information will drive forum reader a little crazy but that is ok. Other observations:
-Ludicrous will be a future feature probably after initial deliveries
-Smart Air suspension may not be offered initially. One way to keep costs down is to simplify the new skateboard platform. I don't believe the BMW 3 series offers smart air suspension.
-Fancy interior trim is not needed if you have premium interior.
-HiFi upgrade, one way to differentiate the Model 3 from the Model s is a HIFi upgrade but perhaps not at the same level as the Model S which would lower the cost

With a new platform and all new technology I think it a few options won't be available for several months after deliveries start. No different than the S or X.

All I can say is colors!!! I know the mass market will want it's white/grey/black and dark reds/greens/blues variations... but a charge for some brighter (but not gaudy) colors would be awesome!!!

Viper blue, that gm burnt orange, a nice yellow, a funky green, etc. etc. Bring some life into this thing!!!

• Love
Reactions: Mark C
-Fancy interior trim is not needed if you have premium interior.

I was basing it on how they did the Model S. The premium interior package doesn't include the fancy trim.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes. Just seeing $80K+ anywhere near Model 3 is disastrous imho, from a psychological/PR perspective.

I look at it this way: Elon repeatedly talks about Model 3 being roughly 20% smaller than the S. Okay, well, I would carry that reduction into the options pricing as well...

I would expect premium paint to be 20% less, for sure. I'd expect interior trim, pano roof, all those things to be 20% less than S. Why? Smaller car, smaller everything, economies of scale, etc.

Performance at $10K? Yikes. I'd bet it's more like $6-7.5K.

Basically, I would expect Tesla to aim for the absolute all-out fully-loaded options version of the car to be just under the bare-bones model of the S, so, right around $69K. That way, you don't see headlines blaring, "Model 3 More Expensive Than Model S! Elon Lied!" etc etc because that is all anyone would remember.

I don't think you have looked at the prices of the Model S options, as have I already adjusted most of the prices significantly from the Model S. Here are some examples:
* Premium paint is $1,500, I cut it by 33%
* Leather seats are $2,500, I cut it by 20%
* Carbon fiber trim is $1,000, I cut it by 25%
* Performance is $20k for the Model S, I cut it by 50%.

Look at it this way, a Model S starts at $70k and goes up to $140k. So a fully loaded Model 3 how I showed it is about 41% cheaper than a fully loaded Model S.

I think they could keep a fully loaded Model 3 below $70k, but to do that they might not offer some of the options like a Performance version and/or Ludicrous. I would rather they offer the options and let the top end price go up.

And presently you can only get a model s 70 with rear wheel drive. I feel that will be short lived. Either they kill it when the model 3 arrives. Or kill it before so that all products have AWD. I really think it's a most have mindset for the consumer, at some point the low quantity of RWD model will cost more to produce and already is less efficient.

I don't know. An extra drive train costs a few thousand in hardware / R&D costs, plus I'm sure some folks actually like the extra frunk space. I think RWD will stick around for those in dry/warm climates and/or those on a budget. A Model S 70 (non D) and a Model 3 60/whatever (non D) will still have lots of customers.

I fully agree with colours.
I think it should have a feature like the Kia soul eV, letting people see how much charge you have (3 bars) from the outside...so if someone sees you are fully charged...and needs to plug in, they can unplug you (i am not sure if the model s has this). I especially think this will be important as superchargers and chargers in general become more saturated.

1117.png

* Performance is $20k for the Model S, I cut it by 50%.

Look at it this way, a Model S starts at $70k and goes up to $140k. So a fully loaded Model 3 how I showed it is about 41% cheaper than a fully loaded Model S.

I think they could keep a fully loaded Model 3 below $70k, but to do that they might not offer some of the options like a Performance version and/or Ludicrous. I would rather they offer the options and let the top end price go up.

The only thing that worries me about the pricing of a performance model is if I compare it to BMWs price jump to get into their "performance" 3-series (the M3). That starts over $30k off the top of the base 3-series, so if a "P" Model 3 is meant to compete with an M3 that could be a significant jump. So 20k on top of the base model to go P isn't too unreasonable. (And means I wouldn't be going with a P)

Audi has a smaller price differential ($11k) to go to their "performance" model (A4 to S4), so maybe Tesla will emulate them instead.