Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Features FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the tradition of the great Model X thread, I'd like to start a FAQ thread for the Model 3. Tesla specs are sometimes ambiguous or just plain lacking, so this is a place to get more definitive answers. If the moderators want to sticky it and make it a wiki so everyone can contribute, that'd be great. Questions are in no particular order. Assuming it gets made into a sticky, please follow these rules:
  • When answering a question, if possible link to a source (documentation on Tesla's website best, actual pictures or videos from test drives/reviews/owners second, second-hand information from any of the above last).
  • If you do not know the answer for an absolute fact, please prefix it with Supposition, and provide reasoning.
So, here we go:
  • If I don't get Enhanced AutoPilot, what kind of Cruise Control do I get (TACC? Nothing)?
Supposition: For AP1 Model S and Model X, without AP, you just got dumb cruise, not even TACC. I see no reason for Model 3 to be different.
  • HomeLink?
Answer needed. Tesla specs are silent on the matter.
  • I want leather seats. Possibly ultra-white. Are these included in either the long range or the premium package?
Press Kit | Tesla, Model 3 Reservations FAQ
Supposition: The press kit says "Premium heated seating" is included in the premium package, and "textile seating" in the standard equipment. To me this says the leather upgrade is included in the premium package. In Tesla's reservation FAQ is says white interior will be available Fall 2017, but again is silent on if this is an additional for-pay option.
  • 15 cu. ft. of cargo space. Does that include the frunk?
Yes, that is combined frunk and trunk space. See S/3 comparison at Model 3 | Tesla.
  • Are the standard aero wheels a cover over a different style?
Unknown. PLEASE NO SUPPOSITION HERE. Until we see a video of someone putting them on/taking them off, we don't know for sure.
  • Do the mirrors auto-fold when you walk away from the car?
Press Kit | Tesla
Unknown. The press kit says "Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors" is included with the premium package. One can suppose that it would be silly of Tesla to have a power folding mirror, and not have them automatically fold, since the latter would be a software feature that's easily implemented.
  • Does the charge port door auto-close?
Unknown. We now it opens at a button press, but that doesn't necessarily mean it closes.
  • Phone as a key! Do I have to unlock my phone to unlock the car?!
Unknown. The presskit just says "Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app". Tesla Model 3 first drive experience: a smaller Model S with a minimalist look clarifies that it is Bluetooth (presumably BLE, so a relatively recent smartphone will be required), but no details of it in use. A video of someone unlocking the car with this would be great!
  • The specs on Electrek say 7 cameras. What??
Press Kit | Tesla clarifies it as 8. @FredLambert must have had a typo (either of his own doing, or from pre-release presskit that he received).
  • What are the interior dimensions of back row (handle-to-handle), trunk, frunk, and trunk openings?
Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend says the frunk is explicitly sized to fit a carry-on luggage. Beyond that, we need someone to get out a tape measure!
  • How fast can I charge/how big of charging circuit should I put in?
Press Kit | Tesla
Standard battery includes a 32A charger, which is 30 miles of range per hour of charging. Long range includes a 40A charger for 47 miles of range per hour of charging. In practice, this means a 14-50 outlet is sufficient/required for both to achieve fastest charging. On the standard battery you could even get away with a 40A breaker and wiring, which is allowed by NEC, but should be a rare installation. Note that in Canada, the mobile connector's 14-50 adapter is limited to 32A; if you want fastest charging of a long range Model 3 in Canada, you'll either have to acquire a US version of the adapter, or install a Wall Connector. Either way, ensure you have an actual 50A circuit including breaker and wiring.
  • Do I get safety features without EAP?
Yes. Press Kit | Tesla: "Eight cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors enabling active safety technologies including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking" under safety under standard features.
  • Is the steering wheel heated?
Unknown. Specs are silent.
  • Is the driver seat power adjustable without the premium package?
Unknown. The press kit describes a 12-way power adjustable seat with the premium package, but leaves room that standard option could be a simpler, but still power adjustable, front seat.

• Do the mirrors auto-fold when you walk away from the car?
Yes, I see this option to enable/disable in this screenshot:
mirror auto fold.jpg