TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 features?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by UnbeknownstToAll, Jun 7, 2016.

1. UnbeknownstToAll

UnbeknownstToAll Owner of 3 Model S (Matchbox) cars

Any thoughts on if the Model 3 will offer a package that includes the automatically closing door handles? I noticed that one of the prototypes at the unveiling had them. This is a "Tesla" only feature that should be offered on all their cars (due to cost as a package on the 3). Also, call me crazy but I love the little Tesla key fob for the S, wonder if they'll have it for the 3?

2. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

None. The model S is the only Tesla with those handles. Model X do not present.

• Informative x 1
  3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I think the proximity key fob in the shape of the car will be in the production Model ≡.

• Like x 1
  4. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

Is this thread about "features"? Or is the OP's only interest the door handles?

• Like x 1
  5. UnbeknownstToAll

UnbeknownstToAll Owner of 3 Model S (Matchbox) cars

It was an invitation to start a discussion with the lead off of interest in the door handles and the fob. My hope was that others would share any of their thoughts and interests in features. If you have some - please share.

• Like x 1
  6. brawner

brawner New Member

One feature I would be excited about is pockets in the doors (at least fronts), with enough space for an ice scraper and bottle. Umbrella space is an aspiration. :) Another is hanger hooks (preferably on all four doors, but at least in the back seats). Backseat pockets is definitely a bonus as well. Backseat cup-holders and 12v/USB(s) would rock as well. Sometimes it is the simple things.

One of the bigger items would be roof rack compatibility regardless of roof type choice, though I'd spring for towing with a bike rack most likely due to aero reduction from a roof rack. Also, I'd love it if the base wheels were 17 inches. More range and tire lifespan are far more important to me than the supposed handling benefits/looks on a base model. Furthermore, compatibility for smaller wheels means better snow handling in the winter.

Chevy's rear-view mirror/camera thing in the Bolt is actually pretty cool, but who knows maybe it is patented. Love the idea of unobstructed and wider viewing angle. They might as well demolish Chevy completely and take away their only good advantage. As far as I see if Model 3 gets towing capabilities, the Bolt's supposed benefit of additional cargo capacity/hatchback style would be reduced to almost nothing.

• Like x 3
  7. sunrocket

sunrocket Member

Oh yea! Umbrella space would be inspired. hanger hooks upscale. backseat cupholders good option for my crew. would it be ignorant if I asked "can I have an optional portable wireless charger "to hook up to the master "superchargers nationwide??" , since I don't want to pay for lifetime access. guessing this would mean upgrading the superchargers..dumb idea sorry

• Like x 2
  8. Woosie

Woosie Member

Having sat and moved around the Bolt during Customer Surveys, I can tell you it's a very nice car, and my friend loves his s Volt. But the Model 3 is better, hopefully much better. I came from a Leaf that I loved but had to turn in from a three year lease.

I think OTA software updates are genius as long as the basic processor and memory remains usable for years.

• Like x 2
  9. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

#9 Lunarx, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    I hope they add blended brakes (ducking & hiding).
    Regen on throttle can remain as is though (not complaining about that, because they have a light mode).

10. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

Brawner/all,

Do you think 17" wheels are significantly better on range than 18"?
    Assuming tire & wheel weights are within 1-2lb of each other.
    If so, by about how much?
    Been debating wheel choices for my current EV.

• Like x 1
  11. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

I'd want
    more more color choices
    curb weight < 3600lbs w/ base battery
    "ludicrous" < 3s 0-60, < 12s 1/4mi
    better battery thermal mgmt tech so that power could be provided longer than a few minutes
    top-down cameras
    HUD
    pay per use SC access
    autonomous SAE level 4 capability
    sports suspension
    fully adjustable sport seats
    decent stereo system w/ 10-12" subs
    replacement of kludgy center display
    Android Auto integration

• Like x 1
  12. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

i hope Tesla implements electrochromic roofs for those who choose all-glass roof, otherwise known as smart glass. But honestly, i doubt they will (if at all). Most probably not on the first version of Model 3 at least (since Elon stated they had learned their lesson and will keep things simple for Model 3's first version. And add more cowbells on future versions).

• Like x 1
  13. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

Pockets for an ice scraper? Do you not use the remote climate app to defrost the car and make it all toasty before venturing outside in winter. It has been a while now (since I bought the Leaf) since I last scraped ice.

14. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

There's not enough mindless rambling in this section as it is?

[​IMG]

15. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

The only thing I've ever seen pockets used for is trash... receipts, straw wrappers, gum wrappers, used tissues, etc.

• Like x 2
  16. grashelm

grashelm Member

Wow, really? Is that in your own car or people you know? So either you, the people you know or both are nasty!

• Like x 1
  17. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

This would be the vast majority of normal people... There's an entire thread on it in the Tesla forums Where do you put garbage while driving???? | Tesla Motors

18. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Thanks for this valuable addition. If only the rest of us could strive to be so informative.

(You can always unsubscribe, @Tiberius.)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1