Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Fined For Christmas Lights Decoration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meanwhile in Canada: Burnaby driver fined for duct-taping Christmas lights on Tesla - Burnaby Now

The lights were a traffic safety issue, police said

A Burnaby driver caught driving in Metrotown with Christmas lights duct-taped to his Telsa this week has been slapped with an $81 fine and given three days to get rid of the distracting decorations.

A Burnaby RCMP traffic officer was patrolling in Metrotown Tuesday night when she noticed a Tesla going by covered in lights that were changing colour, according to media spokesperson Cpl. Mike Kalanj.

The officer pulled the vehicle over, and the driver, a man in his 30s, was issued a ticket under section 4.02 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Act regulations – unauthorized lamp.

He was also given three days to remove the lights, Kalanj said.

A Burnaby RCMP Twitter post about the incident drew both praise and criticism online, with some saying the driver should have been let off with a warning and others calling the traffic officer a Grinch.

But Kalanj said the lights were a safety hazard that had to be dealt with.

“We've seen an increase in collisions lately,” he told the NOW. “The officer that wrote this ticket has attended and dealt with many accidents, large and small. I trust their judgment. As unpopular as it might be to some, this was about road safety.”

OMG I would never duct tape anything to my car! Have to agree the lights are a driving distraction for others. Probably same class violation as the undercar lights and lights on the wheels. I know certain high intensity headlights on cars were getting tickets when they were being installed.

BTW I also find semi's that have mirror finished back doors you can see yourself in to fall into the distraction category too. Especially when the angle of the sun hits it just right and nearly blinds you.

Best to just enjoy the Santa/Reindeer and Firelog easter eggs inside and listen to holiday music to get yourself in the holiday mood. Who knows what Santa Elon has in store for this year's release.

Last edited:
this is relevant to what, now?

It's a Christmas Story, of sorts.

Most states have motor vehicle regulations for what color lights you can run, generally only white and amber on the front, or red or amber to the rear. I thought this might be a story about how FSD was fooled into thinking Christmas lights were traffic lights. Imagine that! Car in front of you has a green Christmas light and FSD (Beta) thinks, "I'm good to go!"

I guess someone has not had his eggnog yet.
Not every post has a point, I know having done many myself.
In todays lockdown mode we all have a little joy when we see
an Xmas light post. Most of us are just waiting for spring so we can go
back to our bars where drinks cost 10x what we mix at home. Maybe a chance
to bring a raindeer home. Small talk to strangers that think we are truly crazy
and the most important is the food that we did not cook. Have a merry Xmas all.
Sorry its happy hour, must go.

If it is not suitable here, I am sorry. I figured that
* It's a Model 3 in this story
* It's Christmas season
* This is no less revelent than the thread about posting your picture of Model 3

I wasnt speaking as a mod asking that question, just as myself. If I thought it wasnt relevant as a mod I would have moved it. I separate mod stuff from my own personal feelings. I personally feel that, if this was a toyota in the story, it would be just as relevant as it is being a model 3 in the story.

Someone bought a model 3 and put a bunch of lights on their car, and got a ticket. /shrug. The fact that its a model 3 makes it newsworthy?

Those are all my personal feelings.

Speaking as a mod, there isnt anything wrong with your post, and no official reason why it shouldnt have been posted, and the car in question is a model 3 so this section is just as appropriate as any so, it stays here unless you want it moved somewhere else.

Not sure if that makes sense, but the TL ; DR is I actively separate my own feelings from those of moderating as much as possible, and most times I post will be as "myself" unless I specifically call it out.

OK a little off topic, does anyone know how to get a raindeer into a model 3?
May need it later.

first, you’re gonna need some whisky, moss, lingerie, and a set of antlers. For that last, apparently pieces of coral painted brown and attached to the head with wood screws are surprisingly effective, according to one anecdote.

This is from the same guy who started an entire thread to complain about people using 'M3' abbreviation :rolleyes:

Maybe this is being nit picky, and maybe there are many here who will disagree with me, but the "Tesla Model 3" is NOT an "M3". The "M3" is the name of a specific BMW model car, that is one of their "halo" cars. I believe BMW started using the "M3" Model designation in 1986, so it is not a "new" designation....

This is from the same guy who started an entire thread to complain about people using 'M3' abbreviation :rolleyes:

Thats a lot more relevant than this, in my opinion, but again thats just my opinion (and the opinion of just about anyone else that actually is into cars).

Its not like I am the only person that had that opinion, or posted that thread that you dug up:

M3 is a BMW, people
M3 is a BMW.
It’s not an M3 people...
"Model 3", notz' M3"..... (mine)

Also, one more note. You dug that post up from shortly after I joined this site (I joined in november of 2018, and that was in december of 2018). I still dont think a model 3 is a "M3" (and you will not see me post it that way), but I long since figured out that for some reason, tesla people seem to be determined to take the name of someone elses halo car, so that ship has long since sailed here.

It is what it is, as it were. Nice job digging that post from 2018 up to make a point, though.

Last edited:
Thats a lot more relevant than this, in my opinion, but again thats just my opinion (and the opinion of just about anyone else that actually is into cars).

Its not like I am the only person that had that opinion, or posted that thread that you dug up:

M3 is a BMW, people
M3 is a BMW.
It’s not an M3 people...
"Model 3", notz' M3"..... (mine)

Also, one more note. You dug that post up from shortly after I joined this site (I joined in november of 2018, and that was in december of 2018). I still dont think a model 3 is a "M3" (and you will not see me post it that way), but I long since figured out that for some reason, tesla people seem to be determined to take the name of someone elses halo car, so that ship has long since sailed here.

It is what it is, as it were. Nice job digging that post from 2018 up to make a point, though.

i got to say, when I first joined the forum and read some post I thought to myself m3... bmw m3?
then a couple seconds later it dawned on me oh model 3
Overtime after reading several posts whenever I’d read m3 I’d immediately think bmw m3 but got used to it soon after
I also think because I owned some bmws in the past I was used to the terminology m3 for bmw
not model 3

32138108-38EB-4D7D-A429-F79794DDDEA8.jpeg

Way to kill the Christmas spirit po-po. Those lights aren't as distracting as police lights flashing

And shouldn't have been given a ticket for something as silly as that. Just tell him to take if off and be on your way. Or, just don't have it on while driving. Looks perfectly legal to have on while parked and not in motion.

Reminds of when this cop wrote me a ticket for having green film over my DRL's on my old Volt. Told him I can literally take them off right there and he chose to write me up. $5 mod turned into a $190 ticket rofl. Such a dick. One of those arrogant superiority complex cops, the absolute worst.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and holmgang