Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 fire in Raleigh NC (10/14/2019) — Or maybe it was not the car...

PearlyP3D

Aug 5, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
There was a Model 3 fire here in Raleigh NC early this morning around 3AM. Of course the news had already reported it along the lines of “Tesla catches fire on Western Blvd causing hours-long traffic back-up”.

from the limited video of the incident the car itself didn’t look to be all that damaged visibly. The fire department called in a wrecker to lift the M3 off the ground and were seen spraying the underside with water. No word yet on the cause. It will be interesting to see if this makes national news like any Tesla issues typically do.

here’s a link to the story:
Tesla catches fire on Western Boulevard :: WRAL.com

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Looks to me like debris is hanging down behind the front wheel. Suggests that there was probably some sort of road obstacle that was hit that resulted in battery damage.

The cabin appears to be filled with smoke/steam. Hard to tell.

It's a Performance+.

They do also appear to be inspecting further forward in front of the wheels/motor, later in the video. But the majority of the spraying is being done to the battery area.

At that hour I would guess someone hit an obstacle in the road or high centered on a divider or something (something that did not do serious damage to the wheels).

Reactions: Phlier and jroydog

PearlyP3D

Aug 5, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
So I went by and that car isn’t there. There was a white performance that I thought could’ve been it, but I got out and crawled under to see if it had any damage and it didn’t. So I don’t know where it was taken.

PearlyP3D

Aug 5, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Looks to me like debris is hanging down behind the front wheel. Suggests that there was probably some sort of road obstacle that was hit that resulted in battery damage.

The cabin appears to be filled with smoke/steam. Hard to tell.

It's a Performance+.

They do also appear to be inspecting further forward in front of the wheels/motor, later in the video. But the majority of the spraying is being done to the battery area.

At that hour I would guess someone hit an obstacle in the road or high centered on a divider or something (something that did not do serious damage to the wheels).
Yeah I saw that debris hanging down. Almost looked like a coolant hose on an ICE vehicle. Who knows what they hit. I drove down the road this happened and didn’t see any obvious scorched asphalt or tell-tale signs of a vehicle fire. Usually you’d at least see some melted plastic or something. The median on this road is a very low island style median. It’s not something I can see being tall enough to hit the battery pack and peel it open.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
So I went by and that car isn’t there. There was a white performance that I thought could’ve been it, but I got out and crawled under to see if it had any damage and it didn’t. So I don’t know where it was taken.

Odds are it is an insurance claim right now, so it is in some tow yard lot awaiting appraisal by the adjuster.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
And if the battery is damaged, we've seen that the thermal event doesn't always happen right away, like in the case of the car that was towed and dropped off at a tire place that then caught on fire there (Los Gatos, CA). Wonder if that one was caused by some road debris that also took out the tire and why the car was being towed, or by how the tow truck handled it.

Surprised this car doesn't show any scorching on the body paint.

Last edited:

dmurphy

Buster: 11/25/14 - 6/20/21. So sorely missed.
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
Wonder if there was actually a fire at all; maybe they ran something over, busted a hose, some smoke came out (i.e coolant hitting something warm, or maybe A/C refrigerant?) - and they called the fire department out of a (rightful) abundance of caution.

Doesn't look to me like any kind of fire; and even if there was, it wasn't the battery pack! That would be pretty obvious. And spectacular.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Doesn't look to me like any kind of fire; and even if there was, it wasn't the battery pack! That would be pretty obvious. And spectacular.

I agree that we aren't seeing much, if any, evidence of a fire. However, we, as far as I know, haven't seen a Model 3 battery fire yet. So we don't know if it would be "spectacular" like it is with the S&X. (That green "goo" in the Model 3 pack may do a very good job of containing/prevent fires in the battery.)

Reactions: dmurphy

RSL2020

Aug 29, 2018
East Coast
Yeah this is classic WRAL half-assed reporting. Throw out "Tesla Fire" and place it at the top of the news stories for clicks.

This occurred basically right in front of WRAL's headquarters, I bet they couldn't believe their good fortune, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: PearlyP3D

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
Folks, remember that the sooner we stop making news out of the problem, the sooner the news outlets will do the same.

For me, it's a ho-hum, yet another vehicle fire amongst the average of 30 car fires per hour.

Reactions: XLR82XS

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
Wonder if there was actually a fire at all; maybe they ran something over, busted a hose, some smoke came out (i.e coolant hitting something warm, or maybe A/C refrigerant?) - and they called the fire department out of a (rightful) abundance of caution.

You may be right. See Tesla Fire In Raleigh Raises Questions About Something Else | CleanTechnica

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike

5_+JqckQttqck

Apr 27, 2018
Toronto
Yeah... I don't think it was a battery fire. Probably something over heating and melting wires near the motor.

upload_2019-10-21_13-37-23.png

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC