Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 firmware size + Awesome mobile (ranger) service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Today, I had an appointment for Mobile Service (ranger) on the Model S. I asked the tech if he had the ability to push a firmware update on my Model 3, since it's been stuck at 18.14 for a while now. He said yes as long as a work order was created first. He called it in and got the approval and kicked the process off.

Then he showed me on his screen the download progress. The latest firmware, 2018.26.3, was 812MB. The cool part was that the Model 3 was being driven at the time by my wife, so it was downloading over LTE. By the time she got home, she got the notification that a firmware update was ready for install.

The tech also showed me the firmware history on the car. Since 18.14, there has been no attempts by Tesla to send me an update. The last update (18.14) was done at the service center. Before that, I could see a couple of failed attempts, which usually means poor reception. Indeed the reception at my house is poor.

However, now that I'm on 26.3, I'm assuming I can connect to my house wifi, so hopefully from now on, firmware downloads will be uninterrupted.

Overall, Tesla Mobile Service was awesome. The guy fixed a bunch of extra niggles that weren't on the original work order (he added them after he finished).

812 MB suggests that they are pushing the entire image, not firmware patch files like on the Model S.

They could potentially do both. Perhaps it's the full software when you're jumping a whole version number like 2018.24.x to 2018.26.x and just a patch update when you go from 2018.26.1 to 2018.26.3.