Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: First 100 Miles Impressions from a P85D Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to the Tesla FactoryTours next Friday. I have had my P85D for almost a year now.
What are your thoughts on the guy in Detroit who got a model 3 and just “ ripped it apart”. It was not constructive . Nothing nice to say..

Jaguar a quality auto maker? I owned a Jaguar once. Never again! Electrical, engine cooling, rattles, AC, cracking leather - never could fix them, dealer just threw up their hands. Jaguar is the poster picture for unfixable quality issues at an exorbitant price.
In Jaguar's defense, I don't think the i-Pace will have electric motors by Lucas. :)

In Jaguar's defense, I don't think the i-Pace will have electric motors by Lucas. :)
Who will make their motors then? Once a company has a reputation for bad quality, it is hard to shake that reputation. I blame Jaguar for not picking their suppliers more carefully, and then when the components go bad, they refuse to stand behind them and tell me to go to Lucas! :mad: Jaguars are crap!

Who will make their motors then? Once a company has a reputation for bad quality, it is hard to shake that reputation. I blame Jaguar for not picking their suppliers more carefully, and then when the components go bad, they refuse to stand behind them and tell me to go to Lucas! :mad: Jaguars are crap!
Really quite unfair. Your comments predate the new ownership, which has apparently been producing stellar cars. The Tata ownership (since 2008) is not comparable to the old Ford parentage and prior periods. Whole different deal and much better car builds.

Reactions: NerdUno
Really quite unfair. Your comments predate the new ownership, which has apparently been producing stellar cars. The Tata ownership (since 2008) is not comparable to the old Ford parentage and prior periods. Whole different deal and much better car builds.

The F-Pace is unreliable. CR rates it a 1 out of 5. JD Power rates it a 2 out of 5 on quality. Owners rate it highly. Probably embarrassed.

I have a reservation for a Model 3 and currently an S owner. Question: Are you using any transponders for toll roads or gated community? There are many threads discussing the placement of the transponders on the windshield or trunk rear deck on the S. I wonder what Model 3 owners are experiencing.
I was just at a Model 3 show at Evannex, Roger one of the owners has a Model 3, I noticed he had his SunPass suctioned to the glass roof

I To me, the 3 feels like theD latest technology and platform. Not just a smaller economy Tesla. I’d imagine dual motors and a performance version will be particularly exciting.

Does anyone have reasoned guesses as to how much more expensive a performance dual motor M3 might be priced?

My back of napkin guess is $70 - 75K based on following. LR M3 w PUP etc. runs around $55K. MS 100 with a few options 100K.
So the M3 is a little over 50% cost of MS 100. Price jump to get a P100D is $41K. If Tesla kept things proportional they could charge
20K more for a PM3, thus my guesstimate of 75.
A good argument can be made that they could sell the PM3 for $12 or $15K more over LR M3 dual motor if they wanted to.
A healthy portion of the $41K premium for P100D MS is bragging rights that you have the fastest mass production car in the world.
I would surmise that given the M3 handling is already superb and the car is much lighter than MS, the cost of any needed suspension upgrades ought be a good deal less than the cost for MS to handle all the extra torque. Likewise Tesla will keep the ultimate max performance with MS and MX. So a performance M3 would not be subjected to as much additional suspension stresses as the larger cars.

Just how much acceleration boost they will allow the Perf M3 to have over the non perf dual motor we'll have to wait and see.
I suspect the 75KWh battery could provide sufficient current for 3.3 sec (or less) 0 - 60. 3.3 would be a full second slower than the P100D, yet .4 sec quicker than the original Roadster Sport. That level of performance would I think decimate BMW 3 and 5 series sales.

On the negative side, some nitpicks:
Who decided to put such a lousy backup camera on this amazing vehicle? The one on the S is vastly superior.
Did you get this software update and how do you like it now:
OTA Update Improves Tesla Model 3 Flaw - Backup Camera Image Quality

Tesla-Model-3-backup-camera-before-update-2-750x563.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-backup-camera-after-update-2-750x563.jpg

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Part of it also I think is how tough it is to close. I just got a quick few minutes with and, even with prior knowledge of people saying you needed to be forceful to close it I didn't get it latched first try. I had assumed it was overblown description but it's not, doesn't latch easy. *shrug*

Talking to people with them, they say doors and trunk get easier to close as the seals break in a bit.

Ive read complaints of this back up camera and I think perspective is in order. Recently had to rent a car and just grabbed a Corolla. Holy-not-good back up camera compared to the the 25c Walmart toy car ride. So yeah, 3 camera not as good as S camera but also not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

Part of it also I think is how tough it is to close. I just got a quick few minutes with and, even with prior knowledge of people saying you needed to be forceful to close it I didn't get it latched first try. I had assumed it was overblown description but it's not, doesn't latch easy. *shrug*
I had a similar feeling when I got my S. It took more force to close doors than our Lexus or even my old Ford Econoline van. I think it has become easier to close over time; either that or I have become accustomed to it.

It varies with time of year and holiday schedules. Usually a few weeks. You may take up to three guests with you.
And @electroman, I took the factory tour in August. It is one hour and a ton of information to take in during that time. I would advise booking a second tour if at all possible, either right after your first or ideally the following day. You'll be less overwhelmed on the second rodeo and will internalize more of what you see...not to mention having better questions the second time.

I've driven both extensively, the 3 is well built, but is a little underpowered for me. I do occasionally, 1/8th and 1/4 my cars/ grudge race friends.

Going from 11 second 1/4 miles to 13's feels like an eternity. No way I'm going backwards in acceleration now, it's gonna be P100D+or Roadster for me.
Lastly, lifetime supercharging and AP1 still rule the roost.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I was just at a Model 3 show at Evannex, Roger one of the owners has a Model 3, I noticed he had his SunPass suctioned to the glass roof

Good to know this won't be an issue for Toll roads. Not sure how to manage the gated community I live in. I have my transponder in the front bubble of my S and it has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. I was hoping Telsa changed the windshield so it wouldn't block the signal.

Good to know this won't be an issue for Toll roads. Not sure how to manage the gated community I live in. I have my transponder in the front bubble of my S and it has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. I was hoping Telsa changed the windshield so it wouldn't block the signal.
I use our iPass tollway device just fine in our Model X. Must vary by state and device used.