Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I've had my new Model 3 for a day and a half now, and I wanted to share some first impressions.

I've had a 2014 Tesla Model S P85 for several years now, ordered CPO in 2016 I think it was. We initially ordered a Model 3 to replace our Ford Escape, and we ordered a LR AWD model but switched it to a Performance "sleeper" that our local center had delivered to inventory. I find myself comparing it to the S a lot, so I'll share some comparison on that as well.

On the 3, first off, it looks great. Tesla did a great job on the style, but of course, we knew that before buying. Now that I've driven it a bunch in the last day, I can say that it feels very tight and connected. It is comfortable. Despite being an initial skeptic on the single hovering ipad dash design, I've grown accustomed to it very quickly and now I like it, though I still have concerns about durability of the floating screen and I still think it looks a tad awkward when looking at it from the outside. I do share the view that it would have been nice for wipers to be controlled on a stalk, but I think it's fine having everything else in the center screen. The view out the front of the car is great. The AWD feels very planted, keeping amazing grip even under maximum acceleration. The audio system sound is great. I'm loving autopilot; I had no idea how quickly I would fall in love with the adaptive cruise control (my S is pre-autopilot with only basic cruise control). Rear view camera view is excellent. This car is fantastic; Tesla really nailed it.

Now comparing to the S. The S has the 3 beat on interior storage space and UI size. The 3 screen is sufficient, but when you are used to an S, the navigation in particular feels a little confined on the 3 screen. The S also has some neat features the 3 does not (albeit options, but options we have on our S), including the rear facing child seats and pano roof. I will give a head nod to the rear wheel drive of the P85 for providing a classic brute thrill with tires that can break free and behavior like an angry tiger; that can provide a unique appeal to some, even if the acceleration times are slower. However, in all other aspects, I think the 3 is the better car when compared against an early 2014 Model S. It has longer range, potential for faster charging, better efficiency, higher performance, better visibility, better technology, AWD traction, a tighter feel to it, and all for less money new that the S was used. I think it provides a feel for Tesla's evolution of improvement.

Just a really great car. Well done, Tesla. I hope to see more great cars and further advancements in the future.