Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 For A Teenager

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I do realize it’s an expensive car to give a teen. When I was a kid in college, gas money was often tough to come by. As he’s off to college in a few months, he’ll have a good start and if he’s a resourceful college student, he can find the free charging on campus and perhaps be able to study a bit more instead of working more for gas money. Could be he still works the same amount and has that much extra to party.

It occurred to me this morning that I have several apps for the Tesla’s, so we can use Tesla’s for the 3 and a third party app for ours. Should be no need to sign in and out if we use Tesla’s app for the 3.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I do realize it’s an expensive car to give a teen. When I was a kid in college, gas money was often tough to come by. As he’s off to college in a few months, he’ll have a good start and if he’s a resourceful college student, he can find the free charging on campus and perhaps be able to study a bit more instead of working more for gas money. Could be he still works the same amount and has that much extra to party.

It occurred to me this morning that I have several apps for the Tesla’s, so we can use Tesla’s for the 3 and a third party app for ours. Should be no need to sign in and out if we use Tesla’s app for the 3.

i can obviously only speak for university in europe and not college in america but it is imho a mistake to take a brand new car to such establishments.

My first car(in 2002), was a manual 1991 Toyota Tercel. I had never driven stick before getting that car. To this day, my Model S is the only car I've had that I love more than that one.

For the question at hand: I'm somewhat curious why you wouldn't want him being able to see where you are.

Ahhh don't listen to these guys with all the "when I was his age I had it so tough I walked to school in the snow barefoot both ways uphill" nonsense. Of course we all had it tougher than our kids, and so did our parents and so on.

Ordered my 16 year old daughter a Model 3, should be here in a few months :). Safest car on the road.

Get him a shaggin wagon. I started there and moved to a diesel 1979 rabbit with 179000 miles on it.

Did you call your insurance company yet. Get ready to have your wallet exploited.

061214D6-CD07-4EDA-9B31-5714A15239D1.jpeg
75BEF54E-6B4C-4A9F-9E36-3C89D610D641.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday we picked up our Model 3, which is for our 17 year old son. My wife and I have an X and an S, so we don’t want him to be able to track us and/or have access to either of our cars but we want easy access to his car. I am guessing that this is not something that Tesla has given much, if any, thought to. Anyone have any ideas, other than creating a separate account for the M3?

On a side note, I’ve been waiting for an update to the S for nearly a year, as mine is a 2012 and I want a new one. I’ve even slightly thought about replacing my S with a new one in their current state. No chance I’ll be doing that now after driving the 3 yesterday. Even though I drive the wife’s May 2016 X once and a while, it only feels like a slightly updated version of my S. The 3 was significantly improved over both, especially the premium sound package. Not sure what I’m going to do now but I know I can’t buy a new S the way they are. I can’t unknow what I know now.

If I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about your 17 year old tracking your cars from his app. If you trust him, you shouldn't even have to question that - why would that matter anyway mom & dad? What are you doing? I would however, be more concerned about him wrapping himself around a lamp post with a car that he probably shouldn't be driving.

I think it's great you are getting one of the safest cars on the road for your teenage boy. Good investment. I would imagine most accidents happen at the extremes of driving age: teenager because of lack of experience combined with lack of caution (for some) and at the other end of spectrum when we get really old (FSD come to my rescue).

But the instant torque is a concern. My wife who is overly cautious accidentally took out a garage wall while trying to avoid the garage door coming down! Wish we could lock in chill mode for teenagers until they have enough experience. Even better would be the ability to slowly dial up the power as experience with instant torque increases.

I wrecked my parents car two weeks after I started driving. Hit a tree head on a dark country road in the rain. The engine ended up in the passenger compartment and I ended up crawling out where the windshield used to be. About 4 months later did it again when I fell asleep coming back from work late one night in the pickup truck, that time I ended up in the hospital with a concussion and broken clavicle.

The next year my brother was driving and did a jump in his Mustang and we did end overs twice. To this day I don’t know how we survived. All four of us had cuts and bruiser and glass in our hair and skin but we survived. The car looked like a ball of steel and somehow missed all the trees as we ended up hundreds of feet into the woods on a windy country road.

The 3 may be safe, but the liability is still there for you and whatever he hits. In my second accident I hit a parked truck so hard it threw it into two other cars. My parents end up paying out the Azz for that one and then the insurance company dropped me.

Lots of other events followed ( back then drinking and driving was the norm and seat belts were optional). I am amazed my friends and I made it through that reckless phase from 16-21

That should give the parents some pause for giving a 17 year old a car like that. My brother and his cousin were killed on a car accident on a windy country road in 1967. Same scenario where drinking and driving was the norm and seat belts were optional. Glad you are still around to talk about it!

Well, the barn door is already open on this one... Make sure that you have some Model 3 money saved up for mishaps. Don't count on inexpensive repairs and expect long wait times. Insurance companies are going to love you! It sounds like you have already figured out your only solution to your tracking problem.

If you have a responsible teenager then there’s no issue with giving them a Model 3. I agree that a vast majority of teenagers shouldn’t be allowed near the drivers seat of a Tesla, but there are a few teenagers who are responsible enough to pilot these machines.

Yesterday we picked up our Model 3, which is for our 17 year old son. My wife and I have an X and an S, so we don’t want him to be able to track us and/or have access to either of our cars but we want easy access to his car. I am guessing that this is not something that Tesla has given much, if any, thought to. Anyone have any ideas, other than creating a separate account for the M3?

On a side note, I’ve been waiting for an update to the S for nearly a year, as mine is a 2012 and I want a new one. I’ve even slightly thought about replacing my S with a new one in their current state. No chance I’ll be doing that now after driving the 3 yesterday. Even though I drive the wife’s May 2016 X once and a while, it only feels like a slightly updated version of my S. The 3 was significantly improved over both, especially the premium sound package. Not sure what I’m going to do now but I know I can’t buy a new S the way they are. I can’t unknow what I know now.

We have the same problem. S/X/3 on one account. 3 is used by an employee and soon my teenage kids. For now I’ve resorted to giving one of the key cards to the employee. I’m hoping Tesla gives us more flexibility via a software update.

Sell the S. Keep the 3 for yourself. With some...some of the proceeds from selling the S, go used car shopping with junior.
He's going to love that BMW.
Robin

that. Buy him a well preserved 316/318/320 E46. Good fuel economy and cheap to repair if he trashes something. Enough horsepower with the manual to not feel slow and not enough horsepower that he will do anything stupid. The 316 also gets 40mpg at highway speed.

Last edited: