Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 for college kid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently reserved the Tesla Model 3. My question here is, would it be reasonable to gift this car to my son as his first car? He has saved up 15k so far and his mother and I have agreed to pay for the rest.
He's obviously very excited about the car seeing all the hype it's caused. I'm just wondering how convenient would it be to own this car in college? He plans on going to University of Pennsylvania, if accepted. If not, he will probably settle for our state university. The long trips back and forth with the constant wait for supercharging when gas can be filled up within a matter of minutes really tempts me not to buy it for him. I'm also wondering how convenient would it be to charge it IN college? He's not going to have a place where he can plug in his charger directly into the wall since it requires it to be set up (correct me if I'm wrong, not very familiar with Tesla), so he's forced to rely on the super chargers located near him.
What would you guys recommend?
No. You don't him him thinking about where he is going to get his next charge, how much time he has until he has to move his car, etc. Freshman should have no car or a beater that can sit in a lot for 2 months at a time and still make a beer (oops - food) run when needed.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
Since Dad and Son have already talked and agreed the M3 doesn't make sense now for college use, I think either continuing to put away extra money would be a good thing or if he's going to be home for the summers or during breaks and needing a car then, if the family can use and store an extra car it might be reasonable to buy it with the federal tax rebate and any state and utility incentives and keep it at home as long as someone there will be able to use and charge it.

The incentives if available would be great. Do read up on all the qualifying steps you'd need to take and how you'd have to take titling. Some states like Calif have a 30-month ownership or the incentive can be pro-rated retroactively. There is the issue of insurance, license plate fees etc and storage and charging at home to figure out. Maybe for the money Dad is investing in it you drive it for the time he's away at college and then give him full title after that.

We have heat out here not cold/snow/ice but on really hot days with cabin overheat protection on we lose about 10-12 miles those days, much less otherwise. Not sure what long winter temps would do there but unless you can charge at home frequently enough I'd actually see if you or your son can't add some extra funds to buy the LR model--first production or down the road maybe without all the PUP features. We have the MS 75D and battery is the only thing my husband says he would change on our car if he were buying for the first time. The M3 LR would get him thru life easier. He could take a job out of the area and be driving more once he graduates. Never know what will be and don't want to have any regrets on something that's still pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Don't.

Charging may be a hassle. The university may have charging stations, but are they near classrooms or his specific living area? No, then its going to be a pain. He's not gonna be happy long term if he has to go off campus for a couple hours to recharge on a regular basis. Universities are also discouraging students from having cars. Even more so for Freshmen. Paid $200 a quarter for a Freshmen specific parking pass back then.

He'll get lots of looks driving the newest and shiniest Tesla on campus. Plenty of curious looks, but lots of backhanded badmouthing about being a spoiled brat or rumors of family being engaged in less than honest moneymaking. That's how it was with the international students at my uni who drove fancy cars.

Him driving any new car is going to raise your insurance rates sky high. A luxury car like the Model 3? Take your rates and strap it to one of Musk's Falcon 9s.

You and/or your son may be excited about the Model 3, but is isn't the right car. He should try being on campus without a car. If it becomes too much of a hassle - get a used standard hybrid or PHEV with a reasonable amount of miles on it. While were at it, remind your son heavily to NEVER have his friends/classmates in the car with him; its only asking for trouble.

I realize this is an old(ish) threat, but a lot of people have viewed this so I thought I'd ask this here:
Yes, the decision still stands. I will not be sending my oldest child off to college with a Tesla mainly for convenience reasons. But that doesn't mean I'm going to cancel my order all together.
I have another son who is currently a sophomore in high school and will be receiving his permit in January. That leaves him 6 months before he'll be able to drive on his own. Considering that my first son got into a (minor) accident during his first few months driving alone, I've thought about getting my second son the safest car possible. I realize that Tesla's cars rank in the top 25 when it comes to safety standard and I expect the Model 3 to live up to the very same standards.
Would it be a wise decision to allow my son to drive this car for the 2 years he'll be staying with us before heading off to college? I have another son who will be only a year or two behind before he'll be able to drive on his own once my second son heads off, so it would be a pretty easy shift to gift the car to him.
I wouldn't be sending my 2nd son off to college with the Tesla; I would only be allowing him to use it for the time being that he lives with us at home. Afterwards, I'll probably send him off with my current Camry so it doesn't attract any attention and doesn't cause as much of a hassle when it comes to fueling.
Opinions? (I'm pretty much sure I'll do it because from a safety standpoint it seems right)

Reactions: IdaX and ModelX
I realize this is an old(ish) threat, but a lot of people have viewed this so I thought I'd ask this here:
Yes, the decision still stands. I will not be sending my oldest child off to college with a Tesla mainly for convenience reasons. But that doesn't mean I'm going to cancel my order all together.
I have another son who is currently a sophomore in high school and will be receiving his permit in January. That leaves him 6 months before he'll be able to drive on his own. Considering that my first son got into a (minor) accident during his first few months driving alone, I've thought about getting my second son the safest car possible. I realize that Tesla's cars rank in the top 25 when it comes to safety standard and I expect the Model 3 to live up to the very same standards.
Would it be a wise decision to allow my son to drive this car for the 2 years he'll be staying with us before heading off to college? I have another son who will be only a year or two behind before he'll be able to drive on his own once my second son heads off, so it would be a pretty easy shift to gift the car to him.
I wouldn't be sending my 2nd son off to college with the Tesla; I would only be allowing him to use it for the time being that he lives with us at home. Afterwards, I'll probably send him off with my current Camry so it doesn't attract any attention and doesn't cause as much of a hassle when it comes to fueling.
Opinions? (I'm pretty much sure I'll do it because from a safety standpoint it seems right)

I'll respond purely from a safety standpoint. Along the career path at another automaker, I spent time in the Vehicle Safety Office, and we used to get letters from parents asking a broader but similar question...what is the safest car for their new teenager driver? This concern was amplified by the data that 16/17 year old new drivers were significantly more likely to be in crashes, single vehicle, based on loss of control from inadequately developed skills. I also recommend something like Bob Bondurant Teenage Defensive Driving course, conducted near Phoenix...makes a great trip/vacation! Our answer to the parents was consistent over time. We advised to get:

Newest: Look for the latest safety technology, which now means the emergency braking function among other autonomous individual features. You're on track for that....

Tallest: A new driver has the highest liklihood of putting themselves in harms way. Look at every potential vehicle for your child based on where something like a F150 bumper/grille will strike the driver zone. The goal is to get the head higher up, if possible. Model 3 doesn't optimize this objective.

Heaviest: Mass wins, all other things being equal. Keep in mind, NCAP and such ratings assume the vehicle hits/is hit by something within 500lbs of itself. Model 3 is probably mid-pack for this attribute.

I'd add to that now, start with the IIHS.org list of Top Safety Picks. If you are committed to Tesla, I would absolutely choose Model X over Model 3 (if price is containable??) for a new driver based on the above. But, more realistically, I'd still choose a substantial more maintstreamTop Pick utility vehicle. The chances are it will find itself in a bodyshop at some point. Frontal lobes don't fully form connections until the mid to late 20s.

I'd still say no, from a pure cost to you. I don't know about your situation, but when I was a teen driver, my parents had to register me with the insurance company for every car that I would drive. Policy looked like this:

Absolutely sh***y Honda Civic with inoperative A/C and a strange smell that refuses to go away <--- Ace is driving this and is registered
Toyota Tacoma
Mercedes E-Class

I could only drive the Honda. Couldn't drive the Tacoma nor the E-Class by myself. If I wanted to, my parents would have had to add my name to each of the two other cars, at considerable expense (an additional $100 for the Mercedes monthly). No thanks.

If you're fine with and capable of paying the extra cost of insuring a new licensed teen driver on a new Model 3, then more power to you. Otherwise, just let your kids drive the Camry. Its a safe enough car, and probably a lot safer than the aforementioned Civic that got T-boned and left me with chronic back/neck pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can afford it easily might as well do it, you can't take the money with you. I am assuming that both parents have more than enough money for themselves in this scenario, since no one needs to have a Tesla. But it is your son....

I would only do it if there are EV charging stations on campus close to the dorm, otherwise the car will be more of a curse. Many universities will have this capability.

Oh yeah, I also can't confirm or deny that I am actually your son posting my assurances to you under a pseudonym. Thanks dad.

• Funny
Reactions: hussk
I have another son who is currently a sophomore in high school and will be receiving his permit in January. That leaves him 6 months before he'll be able to drive on his own. Considering that my first son got into a (minor) accident during his first few months driving alone, I've thought about getting my second son the safest car possible.

Yup. Despite the seeming prevalence around here of the attitude that a young person must drive a POS, I think that you're making your decision on the right basis. If you can afford it, buy your kids the safest car that fits their needs.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
I appreciate all the responses so far. They have been extremely helpful in contemplating whether or not I want to send him off to college with a Tesla. Note: I did mention that he is pitching in 15k of his own money, as well as the money he will be earning this year by working. If we are one of the people lucky enough to get the tax incentive, or even a partial tax incentive, that could cut the car cost for us down to $12,500 and have him, and tax breaks pay the rest.
My son has never been a fan of other hybrid cars such as the Prius, or fully electric vehicles like the BMW i3. Tesla really caught his eye this year with their innovations and sleek designs- which wasn't very common in electric vehicles until now.
College tuition shouldn't be a problem at the moment unless he chooses/gets accepted to UPenn. If not, he will surely be able to get a full ride (or close) to our state university. In that case he will only be about 2 hours away making the drive back home much easier on him when it comes to charging and convenience.
I guess the next step is to call or consult colleges on what EV charging capabilities they have on campus. He's going to be getting the standard model so the max mileage on it will be about 210 (right?), not 300.
He has worked diligently for the past 3 years, in and out of school, and I feel like gifting him this car (or paying partially for it) wouldn't cause any harm. He's not one of the kinds of people to get distracted by the type of car he has. He's using the Tesla purely for its electric point of view; Otherwise his original idea was to buy a reliable Toyota so that it would last him some time.
Still deciding so I'll see.

If he's determined to go electric, then buy him a used Volt and tell him to keep his hard earned money to pay for insurance/gas and maybe invest in a low fee Index Fund to help get him started financially for after he graduates and/or start preparing for retirement (seriously, it's never too early if you can afford it). He can drive electric when he has a chance to plug in, and rely on the gas engine when he can't. I loved driving my Leaf and now my Gen II Volt, but I can recommend anyone without predictable charging either at home or at work (or school, in your son's case) to go electric just yet. In four years, after he graduates, maybe revisit the Model 3 then when he'll (hopefully) have an idea of what he'll be doing then.

Or, if you're thinking tax credits, then buy the Model 3 for yourself, and give him one of your cars for when he's at college. He can drive the Model 3 when he's home visiting you (giving him incentive to actually come home and visit, you might want that if you're going to miss your rugrat), and after he's graduated you can give it to him officially (or trade it in for the newest model then).

Many uni's are facing parking space problems along with increasing complaints of drivers not paying attention, driving too fast, etc. Uni's often like to move somewhat in lockstep on policy changes (too avoid the sore thumb issue) and one that is coming is more strictly limiting student parking on campus and increasing bicycling and bikeshare. Those that are more integrated in cities are also talking to their city about similar policies, at least in the areas near campus.

It will become increasingly difficult for undergrads to have their own cars.

My concern is repairs. You're considering allowing two new drivers to drive this vehicle. If they get into a decently sized crash (which has a pretty decent chance for new drivers), it could be months or years before you get the car back due to the lack of parts, etc. S/X owners have run into that problem. It's pretty much a Tesla specific issue due to Tesla being so new and the production being so constrained.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
There are no gas stations on campus either. Tesla is supposed to be installing a supercharger in Philly this year. I don't see how sitting at a supercharger once a week for 30 or 40 minutes is a deal breaker vs. driving to a gas station somewhere to fill-up. He will have plenty of studying to do which he can to while supercharging. Also, I presume the Philly supercharger will be located where there are amenities close-by. I don't see how this is so much of a hassle. If he were commuting to work 50 miles a day without home charging, I could see it being a concern, but he will presumably not be driving that much.

Yup. Despite the seeming prevalence around here of the attitude that a young person must drive a POS, I think that you're making your decision on the right basis. If you can afford it, buy your kids the safest car that fits their needs.

The attitude that young people ought to drive POS and/or ancient cars stems from the reality that it costs and arm and a leg to insure a teen/young adult driver. Add the premium that driving a brand-new luxury vehicle from a company that doesn't have the best record w/ regard to economical and expedient repairs. Now you're talking about spending what I think is an unnecessary amount of money that could be better used towards something else - say putting the money that would have been spent on insurance into investments. Throw the money into a Tesla stock, or whatever. OP and their child will have a much better return.

More subjectively, there's always the prevailing stigma that college kid driving a nice car / owning luxuries = spoiled kid and/or parents that have more money than brain.

If someone can and is willing to insure a Model 3 for their teenage child, they can go right ahead. I'm not made of money, so I think its not a wise choice to spend on.

There are no gas stations on campus either. Tesla is supposed to be installing a supercharger in Philly this year. I don't see how sitting at a supercharger once a week for 30 or 40 minutes is a deal breaker vs. driving to a gas station somewhere to fill-up. He will have plenty of studying to do which he can to while supercharging. Also, I presume the Philly supercharger will be located where there are amenities close-by. I don't see how this is so much of a hassle. If he were commuting to work 50 miles a day without home charging, I could see it being a concern, but he will presumably not be driving that much.

There are no gas stations on campus, but there will probably be gas stations several blocks removed from campus. Not so with superchargers. And the reality that 30-40 minutes is many times longer than pumping gasoline and probably a significantly further drive from campus. IDK about Philly, but my 8 mile drive in LA should have around 30-45 minutes budgeted.

Along the career path at another automaker, I spent time in the Vehicle Safety Office, and we used to get letters from parents asking a broader but similar question...what is the safest car for their new teenager driver?

People write letters like this to auto companies? Doing that would never occur to me in a million years. Learn something every day.

Must create some ethical issues at some car companies... Would hate to be the guy who answered these letters at Yugo, for example.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I would never give the Model 3 to my son as his first car for one simple reason, the car has too good performance and too satisfying acceleration.

It takes years of experience to be able to safely operate and manage a car with so much power, and the temptation is far too much to trust a teen driver not to do something stupid. Its just not worth getting into an at fault crash or even getting speeding tickets at such a young age, at that point you can forget about your insurance rates.

Its not only about how safe the car is in a crash, you just are more likely to crash if you are tempted and given the ability to drive faster and more irresponsibly.

Have him focus on his studies, not his car. I'd go used, cheap, safe and reliable if he really needs to drive so you also teach him a lesson in economics at the same time. When he graduates, works, and earns enough to buy his own, he'll understand and respect your decision but expect push back now -- especially if you need break a feeling of entitlement -- that's all of part of being a parent. We're not their friends and we have to remember that if we want to raise them properly, at least in my view. We rob our kids of some of the most important and gratifying things in life simply because we can afford to.