TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 For Sale: Owned by deceased family member

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by bigsister, Aug 14, 2018.

1. bigsister

bigsister Member

vehicle in Bergen county. nj

2. Xenius

Xenius Member

Sorry for your loss. IANAL, but I'd work with your family attorney and Tesla to provide documentation and get the car transferred to their estate and then sold.

Good luck.

3. bigsister

bigsister Member

thanks but ownership/estate is not an issue. owner is survived by spouse and each bought a 3. I'm just hoping that someone waiting for a new 3 in time to take advantage of tax benefits will be interested in purchase.

4. compu85

compu85 Supporting Member

The tax credit doesn't apply to used cars, only new.

Some pictures / details of the car's config would help. As would an asking price...

• Like x 2
  5. bigsister

bigsister Member

we can sell either red or blue. I suppose I'll contact tesla dealer then. cars are new and certainly not a sale under duress. both loaded well, as loaded as Tesla make them.

6. Sentry

Sentry Member

Sorry for your loss. I would have totally bought this but losing out on the tax credit makes no sense unless you price it accordingly. I hope you find a buyer for it. Good Luck!

7. azred

azred Active Member

Sympathy might yield a small premium but the days of impatient buyers paying one seem to be over. Good luck on the sale but consulting Tesla seems like a puzzling choice. I got the impression you were hoping to get a sale above market, not below.

• Informative x 1
  8. ShadowRegent

ShadowRegent Member

The initial buyer would get the tax credit. Assuming the surviving spouse is filing jointly and has enough tax liability to claim the credit, there should be no credit lost there. Accordingly, you'll need to factor that credit into the selling price. I don't think Tesla is going to give you a good deal on it, but if you list it for sale here at a reasonable price, it will likely sell quickly and with little or no loss in value after factoring the tax credit.

9. bigsister

bigsister Member

you still do not pay sales tax in NJ. good luck getting your vehicle this year

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Mod note: title adjusted. Thread moved to For Sale.

11. Grisik

Grisik Member

What are the options and price of the car?

12. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Not to be jerk but deceased status wouldn't be relevant to the sale. If anything, it wold hurt the sale.

I am sorry a spouse lost his/her partner.

Hope the sale works out.

13. bigsister

bigsister Member

thanks very much.

14. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Welcome and I'm saddened to hear about your family member.

You will have a better chance of selling the car here if you post the details of the car (or a pic of the Monroney sticker if you aren't sure) along with a lot of pics of the car itself.

Also, the prevailing sentiment is that reducing the price by some or all of the federal tax credit amount is appropriate. This is because the credit is available only to the original buyer, and at this point, the wait time for a new RWD model 3 is so short the "have it now" premium is not worth much. Of course you never know if the right buyer will come along.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a forum for Tesla enthusiasts, so people here, on the whole, tend to be more informed, prepared, and patient than your average car buyer. However we're also a pretty nice group so if you need help, lots here are willing.

• Love x 3
  15. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I will be accused of beating a dead horse but I don't subscribe to that notion - your buyer pool might be reduced to those that would normally be able to take advantage of that deduction and the extra cash to afford new but it is far from a given.

Try givemethevin or vroom or shift to if you want the most frictionless way to sell; I did when upgrading a RWD to Performance and I thought I got a perfectly fair deal for a 6mos old car w/6500 miles on it - it was in perfect condition.

Sorry for your loss and good luck

• Informative x 1
  16. bigsister

bigsister Member

17. bigsister

bigsister Member

I'll do my best to post photos and mulroney statement here. 20180823_211730(1).jpg tesla 3 red photo 4.jpg 20180819_180925.jpg tesla red 3 photo 2.jpg 20180819_180950.jpg tesla3.jpg tesla3.jpg 20180823_211730(1).jpg tesla 3 red photo 4.jpg 20180819_180925.jpg tesla red 3 photo 2.jpg 20180819_180950.jpg tesla3.jpg tesla3.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Sentry

Sentry Member

And what’s your asking price?

19. bigsister

bigsister Member

originally $60,500. Asking $50,000.

20. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Carvana is another one. They were the highest of those mentioned when I was looking to sell my S.

• Like x 1