Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Friendly Chase by Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the video quality is lousy (vertical, low-resolution, hand-held phone camera), you won't get the true experience, so let me set the stage and describe what you're going to see...

I'm taking a Sunday drive in my Roadster with a friend, heading to Alice's for lunch. Coming up Hwy 9 from Felton, we reach the stop sign at Skyline at the exact moment a white Model 3 comes up Hwy 9 from the valley on the other side. We each wave to each to go North first, and the Model 3 takes the bait.

So, we're behind a couple cars and a motorcycle. The Model 3 has MFG plates. The motorcycle pulls out and passes the cars. We go a ways like this, when both cars in front of the Model 3 turn left into an XMas tree farm.

The Model 3 takes off!

I follow, naturally, and at what I considered a safe, non-threatening distance. The Model 3 looks further away in the video than it was in real life, which I attribute to the very wide angle lens in the cell phone camera. And, you can't really tell how fast we're actually traveling, since both cars are electric drivetrain quiet.

I don't know what the Model 3 driver was thinking. It's not like he could outrun a Roadster, after all. ;^) He then makes a sudden right turn to go down Page Mill Rd., with tires screeching (so it wasn't an dual motor test mule), and for a split second I thought about following him, but I was hungry and I didn't want the chase to escalate into anything potentially dangerous. We had our fun.

Hope you enjoy it:

Not obvious from the video that there was any sort of race going on at all. Not apparent which car is faster.

Yeah, as I said, the video doesn't capture what the event was like live. The Model 3 driver was driving sportily - much faster than most other vehicles drive on this section of road, which portends well for Model 3's power and handling. As this was a public road with a vehicle whose driver I was not in communication with, I did not wish to engage in aggressive behavior or do anything that might lead to an unsafe situation.

Whether the Model 3 could have been pushed further safely, I don't know as I wasn't in that car. I can state that the distance between us was at all times completely under my control.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Yeah, as I said, the video doesn't capture what the event was like live. The Model 3 driver was driving sportily - much faster than most other vehicles drive on this section of road, which portends well for Model 3's power and handling. As this was a public road with a vehicle whose driver I was not in communication with, I did not wish to engage in aggressive behavior or do anything that might lead to an unsafe situation.

Whether the Model 3 could have been pushed further safely, I don't know as I wasn't in that car. I can state that the distance between us was at all times completely under my control.
I understand that you controlled the gap.... But, were you impressed by the M3's capabilities? Was it what you expected?

Beautiful!

Judging by the Roadster's telltale whine, you weren't going that fast, but quick enough to be having a little fun. It sounded like the M3 hit a bit of gravel in that right turn, which may have helped it break loose a bit.

Thanks for sharing the video.