Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front end repair botched [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so my wife wrecked my 2018 stealth P3 back in August. Honest mistake on her part as she was super stressed about my son who had just been diagnosed with covid (he's fine now), and her chevy volt was broke. So she took my car to go visit him in Longview when she was not in a good state. She rear ended another car (not using AP).

I finally got the car back last week from the Tesla certified shop (and a very highly regarded, and very expensive shop at that). However, the hood-to-facia misalignment is atrocious (see attached pics). I've sent the car back and basically said this is unacceptable, but I'm worried that the body shop will just hide behind Tesla's notorious poor panel alignment. The good news is that the the original facia-to-hood alignment on mine was pretty much perfect as delivered from the Fremont tent, and I have a great pic of it (attached), so at least I have that standard to go by.

When I dropped it off again, I told the shop manager I expect fitment like the original, especially since they are using Tesla parts. They either need to use their body shop skills of metal forming/working, shimming, etc, or ask Tesla to supply parts that fit better (which I think is the real problem). I may have to leverage my ins co to put more pressure on them.

Anyone been through this BS before?
Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_9919.JPG
    IMG_9919.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 198
I've had really poor quality work done at highly recommended and expensive body shops before. It's all whether or not they put their A or F team on it.

If they get someone from the A team, they should be able to easily get everything to line up. The owner should have definitely not let it leave the shop like that.

Sorry to see this fitment issue. This is very obvious the work is not done properly and you should insist the shop to take care of it but make sure you ask in a polite manner. I just got my model 3 back from the shop after a month long wait. Both fender and bumper (late discovery) had to be replaced and the fitment was perfect, if not better than Tesla factory delivery condition. I even checked the plastic cover under the fender and it aligned perfectly. So it is definitely the shop's skill.

I wonder if you raise the two rubber stops on the side of the hood, whether that will flex the hood so that the front center part that is currently raised up, will settle down level with the bumper.

My M3 is at an authorized repair shop right now. In fact it's been there since 11/1. Currently, they are still waiting for the delivery of two parts, the hood latch assembly and a .36mm plug. I have no idea what the plug is for. Anyway, I sure hope I have a better experience than the OP. So far I have no reason to expect other than perfect results but still.....

It's possible that they've slightly bent the aluminum hood during the job. If you can pop the hood open and put a straight edge under it and take a photo it should highlight if that's the issue. The hoods on this car are incredibly flimsy. I've had aluminum hoods and trunks on other cars and they've never been as flimsy as this. Since the sides line up fine that's most likely your issue but you are right to kick it right back at them, that's not acceptable work. You won't get any push-back.

I finally got the car back last week from the Tesla certified shop (and a very highly regarded, and very expensive shop at that). However, the hood-to-facia misalignment is atrocious (see attached pics). I've sent the car back and basically said this is unacceptable, but I'm worried that the body shop will just hide behind Tesla's notorious poor panel alignment. The good news is that the the original facia-to-hood alignment on mine was pretty much perfect [...] Anyone been through this BS before?
As others have stated - this was a half-assed repair job by the Tesla certified body shop.
You are right to demand that they take the car back and fix the hood alignment properly. By either reshaping the hood panel, or replacing it.
Either way, keep pressing them to make it perfect (not just the way it was before, but perfect), and don't accept ineptitude!

a

Status
Not open for further replies.