Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front hood weather strip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased this item to help keep your air cabin cleaner? KUNIST for Tesla Model 3 Accessories Front Hood Weather Strip Rubber Seal Protector Guard Strip for Tesla Model 3 2017-2023 Font Hood Dust Proof Seal Strip https://a.co/d/feQL0WL

Does anyone think this would restrict the fresh air and flow? I like this item as I always get a lot of leaves and dirt in the filter in a short period of time.

I bought from the same exact listing on Amazon and the strip does NOTHING. The piece of rubber they provide is too thin to provide a seal between the hood and the front plastic panel. I thought it did, until I took the car through a car wash and there was water beyond the "seal" the product was supposed to provide. I returned the strip immediately and reinstalled my stock ones. (This was on a 2023 Model 3 RWD)

Reactions: Snowball316
I have that exact one and installed it since November. I have outdoor uncovered parking in California, so it's been exposed to the torrential rains and quite a few pressure washes. Works very well for me. Keeps most water and leaves out of the HVAC intake area. Also keeps Windshield wiper fluid from flowing into it as well, I used to smell it much more before I installed this upgrade.

Worth it IMO.

Reactions: Kimmi
OK, installed the Kunist.

1. Removed all fake 3M, applied true 3M automotive tape (Autozone/Amazon) cutouts, including to the two surfaces on the middle section
with missing tape. To avoid frustration, prying 3M red protective film with the back edge of a #15 scalpel really helps.
2. Alcohol wiped area after removing old splash guards.
3. Inserted the right and left tabs only by their lateral clips, ends hanging in the air.
4. Inserted middle piece into the other two hanging by the tabs.
5. Pushed right end piece middle tab in but not completely, did same on left side, then pushed them in completely once
center aligned.
6. Threaded the rubber edge pushing periodically in the right side to allow more to pull through, a 15-20 step process as
rubber sticks. Wearing rubber gloves helps a lot also.

Replaced the two stinky air filters with STP CAF15035M (one box contains two filters), using a sharp pick to pry the retaining
pins off the 4 tabs from bottom of glovebox before pulling them out, then prying right center tunnel liner starting in the corner
by the filter, tiny Torx key needed to open the screw. No more odor for a long time hopefully.

Just like in the video, this is the picture after the laser touch free car wash where I went into Service>Car Wash Mode for the first time
in two years since I got the car (dumb wetback) the two drops in the middle fell off the hood after I opened it, you can see the wet edge
where the rubber trim held the water:

20231118_092930.jpg

20231118_092936.jpg

Last edited:
Here is why you really need one, turns out evaporator has nothing to do with stench, soaking the air filters from the window pourover is the real culprit:
Water intake as described in the video a contributing factor for sure, but it is absolutely NOT the sole reason why the AC stinks. My car saw zero rain and I hand "wash" my car with a damp cloth in the last 4 months. The AC started stinking anyway.

Sucking in water while it rains or in car washes definitely contributes to moisture in the AC system. But the AC system itself generates a lot of water regardless (ever see water dripping out of the car in between the front wheels while the AC's on?). The foul smell is in the AC coil fins, the filters themselves, the recirculating flap and also the drain area just under the filters. Having seals to prevent water ingress will help, but I can guarantee that the smell will still come back. The cold AC coil will always condense a lot of water out of the air and the coils and drain area will always get wet, rain or no rain.

I think installing those seals to prevent water being sucked in is a GREAT idea. Another great idea that I'll try soon is this: Air intake filter surfaced A coarse mesh pre-filter.

m3-air-intake-jpg.516224

Every time I change out the air filters in the cabin, I always find little bits of plant debris in the drain area just under the filters. Even if it's not the majority of the smell, I'm sure it will help to prevent them from being sucked into that almost impossible to clean area in the first place.

Water intake as described in the video a contributing factor for sure, but it is absolutely NOT the sole reason why the AC stinks. My car saw zero rain and I hand "wash" my car with a damp cloth in the last 4 months. The AC started stinking anyway....
Interesting, because after I did above without any AC coil spray or wash the smell went away. We had a few rainy days here lately but stench went away right after I replaced the filters. I guess time will tell, I post back if the stench returns.

Interesting, because after I did above without any AC coil spray or wash the smell went away. We had a few rainy days here lately but stench went away right after I replaced the filters. I guess time will tell, I post back if the stench returns.
There was an updated 3D print that pops between the filter and the drain vent for the condenser that is supposed to keep water or humidity from building on the filter. Other people are using like flexseal on the bottle of the filter. I myself got a microban filter and going to drop that in after doing a condenser clean, installing the rubber strip on the hood, and installing the 3D printed part on the filter. I may or may not do more filter waterproofing on the bottom edge hahha.

There was an updated 3D print that pops between the filter and the drain vent for the condenser that is supposed to keep water or humidity from building on the filter. Other people are using like flexseal on the bottle of the filter. I myself got a microban filter and going to drop that in after doing a condenser clean, installing the rubber strip on the hood, and installing the 3D printed part on the filter. I may or may not do more filter waterproofing on the bottom edge hahha.
Not directed at you, but at the Youtuber who made the video.

It doesn't make any sense at all that he is suggesting people buy different filters or print out that spacer thing for the drain below the filters.

His OWN video showed zero water seepage from the drain below the filter under various circumstances. His own video showed that the filters were getting more moisture after the car sits around, either due to his assumption of sucking in outside air (doubtful that's an actual cause of the problem because so many people in dry desert weather still get the smell), or the filters being close to the below ambient temperature AC coils, causing condensation and higher humidity. BTW he never tested the moisture content of the filter materials, always focusing on the bottom of the filter for whatever reason.

So if he showed that water doesn't come back up through the drain, then why the heck would that 3d printed spacer do anything at all? I really doubt the products he's trying to get viewers to buy through his amazon affiliate links are helpful. His videos are informative, but the products and solutions are very questionable IMO.

Reactions: bluestreak55
Not directed at you, but at the Youtuber who made the video.

It doesn't make any sense at all that he is suggesting people buy different filters or print out that spacer thing for the drain below the filters.

His OWN video showed zero water seepage from the drain below the filter under various circumstances. His own video showed that the filters were getting more moisture after the car sits around, either due to his assumption of sucking in outside air (doubtful that's an actual cause of the problem because so many people in dry desert weather still get the smell), or the filters being close to the below ambient temperature AC coils, causing condensation and higher humidity. BTW he never tested the moisture content of the filter materials, always focusing on the bottom of the filter for whatever reason.

So if he showed that water doesn't come back up through the drain, then why the heck would that 3d printed spacer do anything at all? I really doubt the products he's trying to get viewers to buy through his amazon affiliate links are helpful. His videos are informative, but the products and solutions are very questionable IMO.
Yep absolutely 100% very valid points. The one that got me was the people in the desert getting the issue with basically 5 to 10% humidity. Some of the driest air on Earth lol

Reactions: XPsionic
Update, very rainy cold weather lately, AC having hard time moving air to defog window. I ripped out the rectangular AC inlet cover with the 3 retaining tabs, there is now a 2-3" gap between the funnel below and the large trim piece (housing the air slots and opening for windshield fluid reservoir cover) allowing air from under it to get in, no more fogging.

Last edited:
Update, very rainy cold weather lately, AC having hard time moving air to defog window. I ripped out the rectangular AC inlet cover with the 3 retaining tabs, there is now a 2-3" gap between the funnel below and the large trim piece (housing the air slots and opening for windshield fluid reservoir cover) allowing air from under it to get in, no more fogging.
I noticed mine was hard to defrost today too, even on low temperature. It wouldn't let me put it on high fan, it defaults to AUTO for defrost. This might be why (the inlet you removed). Did you have a photo of it before and after?

Reactions: Snowball316
I noticed mine was hard to defrost today too, even on low temperature. It wouldn't let me put it on high fan, it defaults to AUTO for defrost. This might be why (the inlet you removed). Did you have a photo of it before and after?
Too little airflow sucking in from corners only. Just an update, I cut out a metal mesh cover with rubber edge guard over the hole left after the inlet removal to prevent mice from moving in with the dreaded mouse nest stinky air filter shreds blowing into cab scenario, secured it with some wood screws holding on to the edges, easy job using metal shears and a piercing tool, plastic is soft.

Last edited: