Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front Registration plate UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't figure out how to stick a rigid plastic plate on the front.
Its just too curvy vertically for any of the sticky pads I have, The plate touches along the top and bottom edges only. Particularly if I don't place it any higher than the original bracket (to avoid blocking the radar).
So I tried sticking it to the original plastic plinth (without the surround part) but the plastic is textured and the 3M stickies don't stick very well. I wouldn't trust it.
I can't figure out how anyone else has done it. Is there a source of really thick stickies somewhere? or should I be looking around for a slimmer version of the plastic plinth with a good surface to stick to?
Mine is stuck to the original mount (front and rear) without the terrible surround using Gorilla tape. As long as you wipe the plastics over with IPA or Acetone first then it sticks no problem.

I initially used the heavy duty Velcro (hd it on the model 3 for 3 years), stuck the plate directly to the plastic base plinth on the front and the plate fell off a few days later, Velcro backing came away on the plinth. I’ve got screws here to fit it but don’t want to screw it to be honest. What 3M tape hve people used? I was going to just use gorilla glue and stick the Velcro to the plinth that way, surely that’ll hold?

I was going to just use gorilla glue and stick the Velcro to the plinth that way, surely that’ll hold?
Gorilla glue is not recommended for polyethylene or polypropylene plastics which iirc is the same type of exclusion that the Velcro strips have and which did not stick. Failed experience with Velcro but no experience with gorilla glue in this application - used it in other applications with mixed results though.

I think polyethylene is the waxy type plastic that the plinth is made from.

I’m going to use the hybrid glue and screw method recommended above.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I used to have mine stuck with 3M tape to the backplate, but the edges kept coming unstuck due to the curve. Ended up screwing the ends of the plate onto the existing holes in the backplate.
How did ya do this? Are you talking about the two farthest holes on the base? There’s nothing behind those holes for the screw to go into, just a void. Maybe I’m being thick and missing something.

How did ya do this? Are you talking about the two farthest holes on the base? There’s nothing behind those holes for the screw to go into, just a void. Maybe I’m being thick and missing something.
I’ve replied on the other thread, but in my case the plate carrier was screwed into the outer two holes on the bracket. I used the same screws the carrier had been fastened with, so essentially just replaced the plate carrier with the plate itself.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl