Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Front row fast charging hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same.
I've looked around, but I can only seem to find ones that have an internal Li ion battery. Being that I live in Texas
EDIT - I'd like to not leave any Li ion batteries that aren't properly thermally managed. And while I'm sure most consumer gear will not have problems, I'd rather not risk it.

I'm using this: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Dashbo...rd_wg=QNz5d&psc=1&refRID=7H5FQ2VM34W0DG4P8E9X according to description, it's using capacitor:

Powered by your standard car 12/24V socket via the included dual-port USB car charger (with spare port to charge your phone) and internal supercapacitor. Automatically powers on and starts recording when you start your car and stops when you switch off the engine. The supercapacitor withstands extreme heat & cold better than standard battery technology and has a far longer operational lifetime

So I just want update my new findings about USB charging.
Got a tip from another thread about v9 increased the front row USB output.
I did a test with 40% iPhone XS and 7.5w Fast Charge Qi wireless pad.

Test 1: Model 3 Front USB Lightning cable
5.02v, 1.45a, total 7.27w.
10795104752_IMG_0675.jpg

Test 2: Model 3 Front USB Qi Wireless
5.02v, 1.45a, total 7.26w.
10795340768_IMG_0679.jpg

Test 3: Anker charger Lightning cable
5.15v, 2.35a, total 12.1w.
10795367856_IMG_0676.jpg

Conclusion: After v9 update, it boost the amperage to a max 1.45a, compare to pre-v9 1.28a, it's a modest update, around 15% more power. with this added power, it could fully support 7.5w Qi Fast Charge for iPhones.
But, to maximize the proficiency, 12v lighter charger is still the best solution for fastest wire charge.

Thank you for the awesome write up! I did my install today, but tweaked it a bit, routing the cable all the way to the top and around the top left corner and back down. This preventing having to drill a bit since the silver trim isn’t pressing on the cord, and kept the red cord out of sight due to the angle. I may still put some black tape on the exposed section.

06C4D7D0-7BB1-4063-A4D7-CF08E23FAF51.jpeg
D13B80FA-34DD-4FE1-862E-DE74BAAB9022.jpeg

Anyone ever install a 12v socket on the rear side of the front cubby? You know like right under the light? I haven't taken mine apart yet so I'm wondering if there's something behind where the 12v socket would go to prevent it from being there?