Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No progress here... I had it up on the ramps last weekend using those MOT shaker plates. No play could be seen or noise picked up, over the sound of the shaker anyways. However he did note that he could feel something in the passenger upper control arm that he wasn't expecting and it isn't present in the driver's side.

Not sure how to approach Tesla with this though. I imagine getting fobbed off if I just book a normal appointment. Might have to see if I can charm another conversation with the Master Tech.

Hi no headway with Tesla. They will not budge now saying its a characteristic of the car. Which is odd considering how much money they must have wasted changing all the suspension components up to now. I'm stuck with it with no sign of a fix.

I've got a similar rattle/clunk coming from my front left, here's a video where you can really here it when driving over some cobblestones (beginning and end of video):
Since i have quite a few aftermarket components, Tesla is pretty much useless for troubleshooting or repairing and this is definitely getting annoying. What's interested is that this got MUCH worse after a recent alignment. Also noticing others comment that this gets better/worse after the car sits idle for some period. My guess is that its either worn ball joints or the bushings like @superflyrolla mentioned.

Anyone else experience this and find a fix?

Could be, we had a few people on and off here go down the endless rabbit hole of Tesla suspension creeks clunks squeaks and end up nowhere after replacing almost everything or everything imaginable with MPP, UP or OE parts.

I still cant get over why these cars are so prone to suspension and steering subsystem wear, and nvh. Its a mystery.

2021 P3 (28k miles) with the driver's side upper control arm sounding like an old bed. Although the noise has gone away, I now have clunking from the same side. Service appointment is on wednesday.

My M3 LR 2021 is also making clunking sound when going over a speedpump or turning to steep incline like shopping center parking areas usually have.

After some investigation noted that both (left and rigjt) CV shaft inner joints are comming out of the front drive unit and when suspension is moving (espesially rebounding, because of suspension geometry) inner joint hits to drive unit and emmits loud clunk. Especially left side.
Normally CV inner joints are not moving from drive unit (or ICE gearbox) and needed length difference of CV shaft is coming from inner joint itself as it is designed like that.
But for a some reason sometimes at my car this movement is between drive unit and joint.
Really odd...
After driving inner joints are several millimeters out of the drive unit and not staying in completely. Like CV shafts are too short etc. Rubber booths need to be expanded when pressing joint completely in to the drive unit and it is pulling it out when rotating, driving.

Reactions: DFW_MVP and Markpn
So, I've been unsuccessful. Service center in FLL had a tech ride along with me, who acknowledged the issue, but got the good ole "could not duplicate" when the other tech looked at it. I pull out of the lot, clunk.

This is after they damaged my wheel during a tire repair two weeks ago, they tried to make it seem like it was my fault to avoid sending my wheel out, and now after the most recent visit with a trim issue, they over shrunk the new piece, it doesn't sit in the corner of the door, they didn't seal it (I could literally put my finger inside the trim and through into the car) the door glass now sticks out excessively, and the service center doesn't answer the phone.

Tesla service is a complete joke, and it makes me want to get rid of the vehicle as much as I love it.

Reactions: DFW_MVP
I'm also having a single very loud clunk or pop in the front end when starting out straight in forward or reverse or turning, or when going over a road undulation at slow speed. It almost seems like something broke off or came loose everytime it happens. Someone said there's a recall for this in the states? Is that correct? Late 2020 Model 3, 31K miles, stock car, 18" tires.

Hello,
I currently have what I assume is a similar issue on my 2020 M3 LR.
It is a rubbery clunk, sounds almost top of the suspension, and is more profound when the suspension decompresses - when you come off speed bumps for example. Noise is only on the o/s which is the right (drivers) side in the UK.
I've had it into Tesla and they couldnt hear anything, but its driving me mad. They replaced a lower lateral link which I thought cured it as the car felt much better when I picked it up, but a day later it returned. This is similar to previous posts which say it goes away when the car is sat.
I asked them to replace the shock absorber/full strut but they said they won't unless proven to be warranty failure, as I'm not willing to pay for this.
Has anyone else got any thoughts?

My clunk must be a ball joint (front, each side) even though they 'seem' fine.
Had the service center take a look, technician drove it (with me) - couldn't duplicate the sounds at the time (it's now more prevalent after adding a few thousand more miles).
Added MPP Comfort coilovers - noise persists, and is not the dampers or anything related; checked the frontend torque as per the service manual.
The time it took to go to the service center is about 1/2 what it took to install the coilovers.
Current solution is to turn up the music.

I'm also having a single very loud clunk or pop in the front end when starting out straight in forward or reverse or turning, or when going over a road undulation at slow speed. It almost seems like something broke off or came loose everytime it happens. Someone said there's a recall for this in the states? Is that correct? Late 2020 Model 3, 31K miles, stock car, 18" tires.
That sounds like the rear axle clicking as the axles move in and out of the drive unit....

This was fixed on mine by removing axles from the drive unit and greasing where the axle splines go into the drive unit.