Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Ive had my model 3 SR+ for about two weeks now, as soon as i took delivery i noticed there was a clunking noise coning from the front right hand corner, it seems to be mainly on moderate bumps or speed bumps. I have taken the car back and the guy and the service centre claims its a "characteristic of the car".

Not happy with this answer i went off to the showroom and asked if i could borrow another model 3 for comparison and as expected, no noise from the demo car. Has anyone else encountered this issue with the front suspension knocking, it sounds very much like a faulty damper or ball joint worn.

Motorway driving is fine but side roads with bumps and pot holes a nightmare.

I tried to take a video but the phone mic wouldn't pick up the noise clearly enough sorry.

Not what you would expect from a brand new car. Anyone's experiences and hopefully resolutions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: Sparkypants
I have a similar problem, but only when it is cold outside or first thing in the morning over speed bumps. When its warm, or the car is warm after 20 minutes of driving it goes away. Hoping to find a solution here as I hate letting the service centers around here touch my cars.

Reactions: Maric
I have a similar problem, but only when it is cold outside or first thing in the morning over speed bumps. When its warm, or the car is warm after 20 minutes of driving it goes away. Hoping to find a solution here as I hate letting the service centers around here touch my cars.
That certainly sounds like a damper shaft seal/guide or possibly the anti roll bar bushings if you are aftermarket bars.

Thank you all for your comments. I will check the points above but as its a fleet car i cant get too deep into investigation works, this issue i have is that if Tesla claim there is nothing wrong then my fleet company just accept this.

I cant believe they would expect me to put up with this kind of noise on a brand new car. Has anyone had to escalate this above their local service centre in order to get a resolution ?

My car has also developed this issue over the last week. I supect it's the same control arms problem as per this link. Plenty of owners reporting similar issues online have had the arms replaced under warranty. I've booked a service appointment armed with this knowledge.

I'm following this with interest as my car has this issue.

Knocking from the drivers side that I can somewhat feel in the steering wheel and accelerator. Had it at the service centre who claimed its a characteristic of the car.

Its going back to get the brake pads greased as apparently they're knocking going from forwards to backwards.

I'll make sure they go over it again as it's not right. Going over rough roads the knock almost feels slightly delayed to what the car is doing, which is getting right on my nerves.

Same with me, the pads "click" when i brake for the first time having been in reverse, but that's a small issue compared to the knocking. I love the characteristic of the car line. That's what the service centre told me. Because its a fleet car i have to allow my fleet manger to escalate it so its in their hands. If i was a private buyer i would have refused to take the car away. There no way the front end should sound like it does on a new car.

My knock seems to be when the suspension drops out rather than under compression, like when yuo drop down over a speed bump. @DickiJ please let me know how you get on.

Same with me, the pads "click" when i brake for the first time having been in reverse, but that's a small issue compared to the knocking. I love the characteristic of the car line. That's what the service centre told me. Because its a fleet car i have to allow my fleet manger to escalate it so its in their hands. If i was a private buyer i would have refused to take the car away. There no way the front end should sound like it does on a new car.

My knock seems to be when the suspension drops out rather than under compression, like when yuo drop down over a speed bump. @DickiJ please let me know how you get on.
You've used the same words as I used when filling out the rattle form... That the noise is more apparent when the wheel drops rather than being impacted.

Unfortunantly the visit hasn't got rid of the noise... I found my own test route before I visited in a rough road residential street. First tech came out with me and clearly started to doubt himself about the noise so he sent his supervisor out with me instead. He also started to doubt himself so we went out in a demo. To my disgust the demo car also exibited the same noise. I still don't believe it's right - there's no way a car manufacturer would design a car that has this level of noise coming into the cabin from some rough roads and for two techs to doubt themselves I know it can't be normal.

Can I ask a favour? Do your headlights rattle if you give them a thumb? Not a hard hit just a decent one with the palm of your hand? Mine rattle like mad and I'm wondering if they're producing the noise. Half tempted to take the 20 minute trip back to Tesla today and start hitting their demo cars.

Popped down to Cardiff Tesla. The demo car I drove also has rattling headlights. The other demo next to it had one headlight that was rock solid, the other a little rattly. They technician said he'll do some investigation to see if there's any articles on the headlights and will give me a call later/tomorrow.

I'm only focusing on this as I saw a thread where someone in the States had knocking noises in the cabin and it turned out to be the headlight...