Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding another data point here. I have MPP Sport coilovers and have been experiencing the same 'knocking' sound for months. Seems to happen on rebound, not compression and at lower speeds on smaller bumps.

Took it into an independent shop today to make sure everything was torqued correctly. The shop told me it's likely coming from the upper control arm bushing. I made an appointment to with Tesla have them take a look. Will update if anything good comes out of it.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Quick update: Tesla service replied with an estimate to replace the front upper control arms. *not under warranty* as they consider this NVH, but will adjust if they find its due to manufacturer defect/workmanship.

For those of you who had suspension parts replaced, did Tesla charge you for that? Or is it under warranty? I'm hesitant to approve the estimate as I'm paranoid they're going to blame my coilovers and not cover whatever the issue is. (I've had bad experiences with bay area SCs deflecting when I first got the car.)

Reactions: DickiJ
Anyone else find if their car is parked up for a couple of days in a row the clunking almost goes away? There's a few roads right outside my home that if the car has been stationary for a couple of days it glides over them. If I circle back and take the same road 20 minutes later I get a clunk over them... Almost as if something settles when parked up and slowly works loose again and clunks away!

I was able to eliminate my clunk last night by replacing the lower compression arm ball joint, the rear one attached to the bottom of the knuckle. IDK if this is everyone's issue, but worth a shot. My compression arm bushing at the rear tore a few months ago, so I replaced it with the MPP bushing. I think it makes sense that the torn bushing also caused premature wear of the front ball joint. When I removed the compression arm, the ball joint didn't clunk like I see in some YouTube videos but it did swivel around really easy by hand compared to the new part. Hope that helps someone or at least gives you one more thing to check.

I was able to eliminate my clunk last night by replacing the lower compression arm ball joint, the rear one attached to the bottom of the knuckle. IDK if this is everyone's issue, but worth a shot. My compression arm bushing at the rear tore a few months ago, so I replaced it with the MPP bushing. I think it makes sense that the torn bushing also caused premature wear of the front ball joint. When I removed the compression arm, the ball joint didn't clunk like I see in some YouTube videos but it did swivel around really easy by hand compared to the new part. Hope that helps someone or at least gives you one more thing to check.
My clunk started right after installing MPP comfort adjustable coilovers and the solid front lower control arm bearings. Maybe I should give the compression rod bushing a try too. Which one did you use? I see MPP sells a compression rod insert too. I may start there....

CBA943E9-E9D1-47D4-B02F-F6F71DA04B6E.jpeg

It was that guy. There’s 4 part numbers in the parts catalog. Left, right, and “0.975 kN/mm” which makes me think they had a revision at some point?

Hi All,

Update on my car, (and just to confirm its a standard car, no uprated parts and the clunk has been with me from new.)
Please see Tesla's response below.

• The noise (customer name) is experiencing is not a loud noise and is only present on very uneven roads
  • the noise is a characteristic of the M3 and there is no ‘fix’
  • This is absolutely not a safety issue
  • All noises are much louder/clearer in EV’s due to lack of engine noise
  • Key components were also removed and tested and they found no fault
  • Tesla don’t feel there is anything else they can do for this car

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Hi All,

Update on my car, (and just to confirm its a standard car, no uprated parts and the clunk has been with me from new.)

• The noise (customer name) is experiencing is not a loud noise and is only present on very uneven roads
We are all getting the same answer. Something is clearly defective, but instead of replacing parts to isolate the issue they just torque bolts and visually check. I ordered FUCAs from MPP so I’m going to start replacing parts top down until I find the culprit.

Hi All,

The whole EVs being quieter meaning suspension is more easilly heard is a moot point. My wife's PHEV Countryman is silent over rough roads in electric only. It's only an issue if your suspension is making excessive noise - which it shouldnt.

I also think the "only present on very uneven roads" is disingenious. Haven now driven up and down Wales multiple times it's not just on uneven roads. Sometimes just a little lump in the road is enough to trigger a 'knock'.

Funny enough my car was parked up for 8 days whilst I went on holiday. When I came back the car's susspension was silent for a good 15 minutes. No knocking at all... Then out of no where, it came back.

We are all getting the same answer. Something is clearly defective, but instead of replacing parts to isolate the issue they just torque bolts and visually check. I ordered FUCAs from MPP so I’m going to start replacing parts top down until I find the culprit.

Please keep us informed. I've been thinking about changing the suspension set-up because it's that annoying but can't realistically justify it seeing as it's a lease, along with insurance price increases etc...

Reactions: Ucsbshawn
I retorqued everything to spec at ride height and checked the lower control arm ball joints. It did not help. Increasing the rebound (MPP comfort adjustable) helped somewhat although not eliminating the clunking noise. In any case I like the new settings much better (firm and smooth), which also makes the residual noise much more tolerable in my mind :).