Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Frunk Condensation/Moisture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something strange occurred yesterday. Arrived home, after visiting family, opened the “frunk” to retrieve my charging cable for my normal Sunday night “top off”. It and the storage bag was damp with moisture, with visible droplets.

Did a bit of checking, and found that the condensation was local to the passenger side rear frunk sidewall and on the underside of the frunk lid in the same area. The moisture was cool to the touch. There was no moisture in the bottom of the well, nor around the driver’s side of the compartment. All the visible condensation was all within the sealed part of the frunk.

I left the frunk open to air out, and the moisture was gone in less than an hour.

Any thoughts of what may have caused this?

Is there an area behind the glove box that is kept cool for electronics, that may have chilled this area of the frunk? Checking the frunk routinely for moisture and air it out, to minimize odors and mold, is not desirable.

Situation before this discovery. Drive home was about 40 minutes, outside temperature was between 75-80°, RH between 40-50%, clear skies all day (no rain). The A/C was on during the entire trip, with Estimating that it used about 400 Whr/mile during this trip, primarily do to over 2300’ elevation gain.

The photos below shows the general area of where I noticed the condensation, underside of frunk hood, and compartment.
Frunk Lid condensation.jpg
Frunk Lid condensation.jpg
Frunk Compartment condensation.jpg

Attachments

• Frunk Moisture.jpg
    Frunk Moisture.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I had this happen once after a trip. I decided to use the frunk to store a bunch of frozen food in a cooler. Went straight from the freezer to the car. Frunk was sealed the whole trip. I think the seal on the frunk is very tight, and so any moisture that gets in there stays in there. In our case as the water evaporated in the sun it ended up dripping from the top like rain. We didn’t have any weather or anything that would explain it otherwise.