Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Frunk Daily Users: Dent Issue?

For those that use Model 3 Frunk on nearly daily basis, do you have a dent/crease?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 95.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They warned me right up front about how to gingerly two-handed close the frunk so I've always done that, but have to keep a cleaning cloth handy since it definitely leaves prints constantly...
Yes, I originally thought for the Model 3 I could do a one-handed close by pressing the Tesla logo, but the manual recommends using two hands next to the Tesla logo, NOT on the logo. It can be a bit of a pain if you only have one hand available to close the frunk.

I tried to order via his link but they are out of stock. I’m headed to my local HD. I think they have one. I’ll let everyone know if it works.
Hey v8. At HD, how do you know which spring to get? Did you take out the stock spring, get one the same length but lower tension? This sounds like a great way to easily close the frunk.

I took the spring out, clamped the hook on one end in a vice and heated the spring with a propane torch (just enough that water would sizzle, but hot enough that it would burn you instantly if you touched it), and then quenched it with a wet towel. Effectively "Drawing a temper" on the metal, softening it slightly so the spring stretches a little easier.

"Tempering" is when after hardening the carbon steel it is reheated to draw off a degree of the hardening. Now the spring is the original dimension but slightly softer. I reinstalled it with my fingers, where it took pliers to get it off. I can now push the hood latched a noticeably easier, and with one hand - not getting close to bending the sheet aluminum. ;)

I feel better having a stronger spring than the lighter gauge one he replaced the original with.

It's a screen door replacement spring. You can pick up a replacement at HD, or other DIY center. Like hcd, I've ordered one at my local HD, for pickup after mom's brunch tomorrow.

Perfect timing, as I just put PPF on my hood, so I'll be using my frunk a lot more now. The smelly lacrosse equipment is going to go in there, gloves, cleats, socks...

Reactions: hcdavis3