Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Frunk pops open on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the latest software update (2020.48.35.5) on my M3 LR, I've had the frunk pop open on it's own without any input from me three different times. Everytime it happened the car was in park, which is good since it wouldn't be nice to have it pop open when driving. The only weird thing that happened concurrently with it popping open was I also had a "Wiper fluid low" warning at the exact time that it popped...not sure if it was just coincidence. The first two times it happened was immediately after the last software update and the touchscreen was flashing on/off and was glitchy. I did a soft reset with the steering wheel buttons and that fixed the screen glitchiness and the frunk didn't pop again for about 2 months. Wondering if anyone has had this issue too?

After the latest software update (2020.48.35.5) on my M3 LR, I've had the frunk pop open on it's own without any input from me three different times. Everytime it happened the car was in park, which is good since it wouldn't be nice to have it pop open when driving. The only weird thing that happened concurrently with it popping open was I also had a "Wiper fluid low" warning at the exact time that it popped...not sure if it was just coincidence. The first two times it happened was immediately after the last software update and the touchscreen was flashing on/off and was glitchy. I did a soft reset with the steering wheel buttons and that fixed the screen glitchiness and the frunk didn't pop again for about 2 months. Wondering if anyone has had this issue too?

Same thing happened to me the first two days I had the car. I'm pretty sure it was me. Lol

You sure you didn't lock the wife in the frunk and she is trying to get out. :eek:
Seriously though, are you sure this is related to a software update? Sounds odd. Reboot that puppy and see what happens.
Screenshot 2019-10-04 13.30.02.jpg

Honestly, he volunteered to test the button!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I got this 2 days ago. I think it's me manipulating my cell phone. Sometimes i realize my phone has unlocked while I have it in my hands (roaming around in the house) and the Tesla app is open... I'm chalking it on unintended app manipulation for the moment

Same for me. I have my phone hooked between the screen and the wheel. And the unfortunate location of the trunk button in the new UI has resulted in me opening it many times without the intent.:(

I haven't had any issues with the frunk opening... BUT I'm very concerned it doesn't have the safety latch ALL other cars have, including Porsches (also with a frunk). If it was to open while driving, it'd be a disaster.
As someone else said, this is false. Having had a 911, I think you're confusing the manual release with a safety latch. The Tesla has a safety latch as is legally required but not a manual release latch.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'm not confusing anything, and I know the car supposedly has a 'safety latch', but I don't care if it was one or three... if when you pop open the damn thing, it fully opens, like it does. It shouldn't open fully, or it absolutely defeats the purpose of having a 'safety latch'. And yes, it should always be MANUAL, period. I also know the car shouldn't open the frunk while rolling, but if there was any malfunction and it happened, we'd have the frunk on the windshield, not only blocking it, but probably breaking it too.

it DOES have a secondary latch, as is law in some areas

I think you're confusing the manual release with a safety latch. The Tesla has a safety latch as is legally required but not a manual release latch.

I'm not confusing anything, and I know the car supposedly has a 'safety latch', but I don't care if it was one or three... if when you pop open the damn thing, it fully opens, like it does.

So, you're essentially saying that you admit it has a safety latch (after claiming that it didn't) but that you don't care that it has a safety latch because you demand that it has a manual release.

In your apparent infinite knowledge (and moving of goalposts) can you tell us all how you can pop open the front trunk while the car is in motion? Or explain how a safety latch, which is engineered to prevent the front trunk from opening when the vehicle is in motion, is not sufficient to fulfill the safety regulations which mandate a safety latch to prevent the front trunk from opening when the vehicle is in motion.

If you find my sentences dizzying, imagine how yours read.

So, you're essentially saying that you admit it has a safety latch (after claiming that it didn't) but that you don't care that it has a safety latch because you demand that it has a manual release.

In your apparent infinite knowledge (and moving of goalposts) can you tell us all how you can pop open the front trunk while the car is in motion? Or explain how a safety latch, which is engineered to prevent the front trunk from opening when the vehicle is in motion, is not sufficient to fulfill the safety regulations which mandate a safety latch to prevent the front trunk from opening when the vehicle is in motion.

If you find my sentences dizzying, imagine how yours read.
Yeah, there's a major difference between having an electronically actuated secondary latch vs having none at all.
You are being redirected...
If this was an issue (or was poorly designed), with 800k Model 3s on the road, I would imagine there would be lots of reports or video of the frunk flying open while the car was driving.

This in fact happened with the Corvette C8, which is made in much lower volume.
Chevy Corvette C8 Owners Are Reporting Front Trunk Lids Flying Open While Driving

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt

This happened on our X (20201.4.6) yesterday. Very odd situation. We have a Hansshow power frunk (which is not working at this time btw). There was construction about 100 ft away from the car, they were jackhammering the hell out of the sidewalk.

The ground was shaking and our car alarm went off. I ran out frantically trying to turn it off. I turn it off, and then come back inside. I notice the frunk was unlatched. I figured I did that with the key fob accidentally.

I closed it. Then the alarm went off again and the frunk was unlatched again?? I opened the frunk to make sure nothing was hitting the release button on the inside of the frunk, it was not.

While i was standing there the latched released 3 times in a row while the frunk was open. I saw it pull the cable. Very weird and creepy. I called Tesla SVC center and got main number.

I tried a reset but never tried a shutdown. She had me do a shutdown, reboot and also open frunk with phone app and quickly shut it with the other hand. problem solved. The shutdown actually i think is what fixed it.

Super weird, and she gets this call about every 2 months she said.