Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Frunk re-designed... Heat pump, new headlights and Power Trunk/Boot incoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just came across this article and it seems the new Model 3 deliveries have a re-designed (smaller) frunk:

Tesla updates Model 3 frunk, makes it a bit smaller — but why? - Electrek

This almost seems to confirm that the Model Y Heat Pump will be making its way into the M3 very soon.

Tesla-Model-3-new-frunk-2.jpg

Reading a bit further into the article, it also mentions rumours of new headlights and a power trunk (boot) coming to Model 3s, but other than a few vague rumours on Twitter, I couldn't really find any further evidence of this, other than the article below which shows a possible picture of the new headlights:

Pure speculation at the moment, but it would make sense to further unify the Y/3 manufacturing process by including a heat pump and power trunk on the 3, right?

It's possible, and logical, but I wouldn't read too much into Tesla streamlining their parts bin.

if it's easy to add the heat pump to the car, then no doubt they will do it. If not, I suspect it might not be. The trunk liner, however, is the same part between both cars so it makes sense to only have one version.

It has already been confirmed that Model 3s with the new trunk liner don't currently have the heat pump.

Pure speculation at the moment, but it would make sense to further unify the Y/3 manufacturing process by including a heat pump and power trunk on the 3, right?
The strut design for the rear trunk on the Y is very different from the 3. I don’t see how making the 3 a power trunk would help anything from a manufacturing process viewpoint.

According to Youtube, the Irish factory that makes the existing resistive heaters for Tesla is having to close because Tesla will not be ordering anymore from them after December, and Tesla was 80% of the business.
I don’t know how accurate this is.

I thought, in Tesla's plans, that the Model 3 was always considered as the 'cheap/affordable' version of the design series.
So the 'luxury' elements, like a powered tailgate, would never be included - however much we might want it to be.

True, but given enough passage of time, "luxury" items just become standard and expected. It's always blown my mind that an electric vehicle doesn't have have an electric tailgate! o_O

Perhaps it's something that will be introduced to the AWD and P models, to further differentiate them from the cheaper SR and SR+ models? Although that would only complicate manufacturing so probably not...

Perhaps it's something that will be introduced to the AWD and P models, to further differentiate them from the cheaper SR and SR+ models? Although that would only complicate manufacturing so probably not...

They could just disable them in software like some other features such as the rear seat heaters. Then sell the option as a software upgrade that enables the feature.

Reactions: Neilio
It's possible, and logical, but I wouldn't read too much into Tesla streamlining their parts bin.

if it's easy to add the heat pump to the car, then no doubt they will do it. If not, I suspect it might not be. The trunk liner, however, is the same part between both cars so it makes sense to only have one version.

It has already been confirmed that Model 3s with the new trunk liner don't currently have the heat pump.
It's not the same part. Broadly similar, but different parts, different bolt locations.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
What the point of ectric open/closure tailgate other then very tall cars and to maximise repair costs?
If you have kids, and are carrying shopping to put in your boot, you'll know.

It's one of two things I've had on my previous cars that I'd really miss with the Tesla. That and dot Matrix high quality, auto dimming LED headlights.

Thankfully, in a couple of months @Mr H and my just arrived hannshow kit are going to rectify that problem.

If you have kids, and are carrying shopping to put in your boot, you'll know.
I had this on my last car, have two kids and did shopping!

To be honest, I was always waving my foot around and it rarely worked reliably so I never really used it. Maybe it was my cars implementation, but a bit off a gimmick for me.

I could easily hold shopping bags and keys in my hand and press the boot release on my key fob as I approached the car..... much more simple, saved time faffing about and worked better as boot was open by the time I got there.

Reactions: ringi
I had this on my last car, have two kids and did shopping!

To be honest, I was always waving my foot around and it rarely worked reliably so I never really used it. Maybe it was my cars implementation, but a bit off a gimmick for me.

I could easily hold shopping bags and keys in my hand and press the boot release on my key fob as I approached the car..... much more simple, saved time faffing about and worked better as boot was open by the time I got there.
I agree, I've never had a foot sensor that was anywhere near accurate! Still I found it useful. TBH I actually tended to use the key fob/close button. Only a minor thing but if the car had grime and dirt on it, stopped you getting any of that on your hands. Also I find it quite handy to open and close the boot whilst sat in the car. I used this a few times, once in canary wharf when they were doing a bomb check. I enjoyed not having to get out in the rain, but the security guard looked at me as if I was an idiot!

They could just disable them in software like some other features such as the rear seat heaters. Then sell the option as a software upgrade that enables the feature.
I have a funny feeling Tesla would get a lot of stick if they did this. Despite it being common practice for many manufacturers to wire up the extras and just charge for activation. much cheaper to produce the cars then.

There was a fuss about an Aston Martin "option" once. I can't recall what it was but it cost thousands of pounds to get it as an option. Until someone worked out that, because Aston's used to use ford parts, you could buy a spare ford focus switch for about £70 that did the same job as whatever the option was was already hard wired in to the loom and just need a switch to operate it.

Last edited:
I haver a funny feeling Tesla would get a lot of stick if they did this.

Tesla already do it. Early front foglamps (including iirc various disguises later removed probably due to potential MOT issues) and rear seat heaters to name some. I think some of the internal ambient lighting also, although I think latterly the LED now not present. Rear seats heaters can be enabled in an in app purchase. In early UK days, the only thing that differentiated the SR, LR/AWD and Performance (without the PUP) was a missing amplifier, front motor, battery size and a rear motor that had passed a few more tests. Its still not that much different except the PUP is now a non optional option in UK.

Reactions: Neilio