Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 FSD Upgrade Price is $4,000CAD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must resist..........
Same here....I'm wondering if its 4k for folks who have old EAP which includes NoA and summon. New FSD option is needed to get those features, and maybe since we already have them the incremental price to get FSD for us is less? But yeah, now that the 'sting' of purchasing the car is 6 months removed, its tough to not click order just to be future proofed.

If there was any sort of confidence/timeline that FSD would come to Canada in the next 12 months I'd be all over this.

Reactions: GlenM
Seems to be the case that this CDN$4K upgrade price is for existing EAP owners which currently includes NoA and summon. Even without paying anymore, it also seems clear that this group of owners should get NoA without confirmation and the enhanced summons.
What Canada / Ontario allows, thst is the great unknown.

Same here....I'm wondering if its 4k for folks who have old EAP which includes NoA and summon. New FSD option is needed to get those features, and maybe since we already have them the incremental price to get FSD for us is less? But yeah, now that the 'sting' of purchasing the car is 6 months removed, its tough to not click order just to be future proofed.

If there was any sort of confidence/timeline that FSD would come to Canada in the next 12 months I'd be all over this.

Yeah I don't have EAP and it's $5300 to get new AP. And another $9200 to get new FSD.

I'm actually more likely to get the new AP, than the old EAP upgrade though. I missed getting EAP during the trial, and even during the trial it was more expensive that it is now. And it doesn't sound like Navigate on autopilot is all that great. I never even tried autopark and summon wasn't too useful to me.

But yeah it's going to be super painful once they start rolling out real FSD features and I have to consider paying an extra $9200 to upgrade...

I'm actually more likely to get the new AP, than the old EAP upgrade though. I missed getting EAP during the trial, and even during the trial it was more expensive that it is now. And it doesn't sound like Navigate on autopilot is all that great. I never even tried autopark and summon wasn't too useful to me.

But yeah it's going to be super painful once they start rolling out real FSD features and I have to consider paying an extra $9200 to upgrade...
NoA isn't really worth it in its current incarnation. Especially for me since it thinks the HOV lanes are the 'passing lane' and it constantly is asking me to move out of them. Sometimes even slowing down to prompt me to do so. I click it on when I am exiting the highway for fun, but it's not really adding anything more for my commute than EAP has.

Summon however is quite useful for me. I use it daily to back out of the garage and so I can get in and out the kid/car seat in the car.

I believe those with old EAP will get smart summon. That will totally make it worthwhile.

NoA isn't all that great IMO. I find it really slow to do what it's supposed to do best and I always end up taking over or resuming normal AP.

I have a daily use for summon right now while I'm holding my kid. I back the car out of the garage So I can get him into the car seat.

Damn Tesla dangling low hanging fruit in front of us, that are all flowers but no fruit yet -- only the promise of fruit with no crop season even in sight! Still, they've got me tempted to pay $4k for something that looks like "pie in the sky" and Tesla has shown us FSD videos years ago that are suspect, at least to me. I don't think it was only $4k for us when we ordered, was it? I passed but checked EAP, but now I see:

Autopilot Upgrades

1551394580109.png

Full Self Driving Capability
Adding this option today means you will be one of the first to experience full self-driving when it becomes available in the future.

Note: Enhanced Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability.

Buy for $4,000

The current features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

And that's $4k Canadian! $3,008.32US at today's exchange rate. If people paid more, when it was available to order, do they get a refund? I think I will buy it. My wife doesn't even use EAP, and I prefer to drive the Classic over the 3, but still, one Classic and one fully EAP and FSD -- I don't think I can hold out at that price. I plan to keep our 3 for years so might as well get in now, then join the class action later if it all fizzles out. ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: McFlurri
So now I'm really considering it, especially if it means we will get new hardware if and when required. Then I think, "what! am I nuts, and back drinking the Tesla kool-aid again?". I see nothing about new hardware anywhere being promised when I go to purchase, and we all know no one will get it, the service centers are overwhelmed as is, so is my June 2018 3 even capable of FSD? When did they upgrade FSD to the latest hardware? Good thing my rock solid classic S doesn't put me through this! Thanks for any info and critics on both sides please bark at me before I buy this snake oil, or god send after a night out of drinking, and riding home in the back seat... ;)

Like all of life, it's probably somewhere in between -- then again can you be in-between with FSD? Isn't that like saying "She's just a little pregnant." It either "Fully Self Drives" or it does not. Apparently, though, it looks like we're going to start out with being a little bit pregnant and she (our beloved 3) may never give birth. So is it worth $4k for in-between? Or invest it here instead?:

The Best Canadian Marijuana Stocks or Pot Stocks to Invest In

Last edited:
I bought it. Now I'm just going to put these here so I can look back in a few years and see how my 3 drives itself, compared to the current value of these stocks I didn't buy instead today ($2k of each):

Cronos Group Inc. (CRON:CA)
$ 28.950.44 | 1.54%

Canopy Growth Corp
TSE: WEED
62.53 CAD +0.15 (0.24%)

Plus, it's evidence of my other intention for the money, that Tesla enticed me away from, when it comes to damages if my car won't come pick me up in a few years! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: pcons and Tony_YYZ
For those interested, here's what it says when you buy:
Thank you
1551394580291.jpg

Your Model 3 will automatically update within 3 days. Please note that your car will not update while offline, charging or being driven.

To verify Autopilot is active, go to Controls > Settings > Drivers Assistance. Note: You will need to manually turn on Autosteer before use.

For more information on how to operate Autopilot, including warnings and limitations, reference your Owner’s Manual or watch our Autopilot support videos here.

What do I get with the update? I'll be checking the notes.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ and bijan
For those of you in Ontario, I thought they had approved autonomous driving / vehicles? I'm in BC so I have no faith our government will approve anytime soon, we still don't have Uber!

That's because of the clout of the taxi union here who have strong ties with both the Liberals and now NDP. Too many bought MLAs. Change will come but too many pockets are being lined by the old system, so it will take longer to come. I will be happy to see the taxi industry fall in BC. Ever try getting a cab ride to south Surrey from downtown Vancouver after the bars close? Good luck.

Plus, I think self-driving cars are regulated federally in Canada -- under the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act -- so it should all come at the same time.

Motor Vehicle Safety Act (1993, c. 16) - Transport Canada

https://mcmillan.ca/flexible-regulation-of-self-driving-cars-in-Canada

I guess they can "provide a more flexible framework" and hand it off to the Provinces but don't we do things motor vehicle related federally, like daytime running lights? That does not vary by Province, nor does it vary when we import vehicles to Canada. I guess time will tell.

By the way, for me: FSD was $5830 at purchase time (5300 plus 15% tax since PST goes from 7 to 10 ("luxury vehicle tax") plus GST of 5%. Buying today was $4,480 (12% pst/gst) so a savings of $1,350. Let the snake oil begin!

Damn... plus tax too......

Death and taxes -- unavoidable.

Also seeing it available for $4k. Not pulling the trigger until the features actually exist and are working well.

That was my view until the Devil beat the Angel off my shoulder. I guess I can be bought for a $1.35k discount. That was one weak Angel.

Same here. Unless I hear that the $4k upgrade is a limited time offer

With Tesla, everything is a limited time offer -- and things move fast. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate but on this one I can see myself dreaming (nightmare) tonight that it was pulled fast and I missed it. I love gadgets like this even though we're still well within the "gimmicky" stage. We have to start somewhere. I just hope we start soon.

Just tempting the Devil on your shoulder! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
So the new price is/will be $2,000USD for EAP to FSD upgrade which should equate to $2,600 to $2,700CAD. If you purchased the FSD upgrade yesterday or today for $4,000CAD, you will be receiving a refund as per Elon on twitter.
Just tweeted Elon asking him if Canadians will get it for $2700.

At $2700, I see the value considering he confirmed it WILL include HW3.