TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 gets an "A" for headlights and "Superior" Front Crash avoidance from IIHS

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Az_Rael, May 15, 2018.

1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Some results trickling in. Will be interesting to see the rest when they finish the testing. So glad they fixed the headlights in the 3. Compared to our P85D, the 3's headlights are waaaay better.

2018 Tesla Model 3

• Informative x 6
  2. favo

favo P3D+ owner

#2 favo, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Note, A = Acceptable, which is one rank below the highest rating of G = Good. Model S headlights had lowest rating of P = Poor.

Here's hoping they were able to get G in all other categories, including Small Overlap Front, where Model S only got A.

ETA: Just for completeness G = Good, A = Acceptable, M = Marginal, P = Poor

• Informative x 4
  3. Az_Rael

Thanks, I missed that nuance about the rating.

4. favo

favo P3D+ owner

Worth mentioning that Tesla puts higher stock (and does better) in the NHTSA testing. Also, some manufacturers have been accused of building to the tests (e.g., small overlap), but skimping in other untested areas.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's why the IIHS started doing small overlap tests on the passenger side also. They found several cars that were improved on the drivers side only.

6. Az_Rael

Probably because the NHTSA star rating is the big test everyone knows about. Better marketing to nail 5 stars on that one as it is listed on the Monroney (Window) Sticker that every car shopper sees. IIHS ratings aren't on the window sticker, so it may be easier to go under the radar for not being a "top safety pick" or rating Poor in a category.

7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Plus, this years IIHS top pick is next years poor rating. IIHS tests demand continual improvement that most companies cannot achieve during a product cycle.

8. Fusion

Fusion Member

Surprised the headlights only got an "A" considering how bright and well it covers the area in front of you.

• Like x 1
  9. Az_Rael

They probably got docked for too much glare for other drivers.

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2018.50.6

2016 Model S has an M (Marginal) for the headlights for those built after August 2016 that include Autopilot and the Premium Package. It looks like the others built in 2016 did receive P.

11. favo

favo P3D+ owner

For some reason the 2017 Model S headlights got P again.

12. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

The pattern of the MS headlights are terrible. The brightness isn't too bad.

13. boiler81

boiler81 Member

My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300's has the LED headlights and like those I'm sure the M3's headlights provide a bright white light, which does a great job of illuminating a wide path, but like the Mercedes, fall short of providing adequate focused illumination down the road. I've yet to see a LED headlight without being "lensed" which provides adequate illumination down the road to not be "over driving" the headlights at highway speeds. I guess the auto high beams may help, but as can be seen from the rating, they fall short of optimum also.

14. TT97

TT97 Active Member

A lot of the issues have to do with U.S. regulations. The big 3 German brands all have some form of selective high beams - in essence, high beams are on all the time and they can block out portions where there is traffic yet the rest of the area is well illuminated. Unfortunately, that technology is verboten in the U.S.

15. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I had no issues with overdriving my Audi's LEDs.

16. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The laser headlights that BMW makes had to be certified by the FDA before they could be sold.

17. TT97

TT97 Active Member

It is only the i8 that has them and they are different in the U.S. vs Europe - about 50% weaker here and are just standard auto-high beams (no selective high beams)

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It was more implying the absurdity that the FDA is the department that is certifying headlights. The i8 also has that laser eye damage warning sticker on the inside of the housing.

19. TT97

TT97 Active Member

They just wanted to make sure it cooked properly - don't want an e.coli incident on the roads!