Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 gets an "A" for headlights and "Superior" Front Crash avoidance from IIHS

favo

P3D+ owner
Apr 5, 2012
Durham, NC
Note, A = Acceptable, which is one rank below the highest rating of G = Good. Model S headlights had lowest rating of P = Poor.

Here's hoping they were able to get G in all other categories, including Small Overlap Front, where Model S only got A.

ETA: Just for completeness G = Good, A = Acceptable, M = Marginal, P = Poor

Last edited:

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
Worth mentioning that Tesla puts higher stock (and does better) in the NHTSA testing. Also, some manufacturers have been accused of building to the tests (e.g., small overlap), but skimping in other untested areas.
That's why the IIHS started doing small overlap tests on the passenger side also. They found several cars that were improved on the drivers side only.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Worth mentioning that Tesla puts higher stock (and does better) in the NHTSA testing. Also, some manufacturers have been accused of building to the tests (e.g., small overlap), but skimping in other untested areas.

Probably because the NHTSA star rating is the big test everyone knows about. Better marketing to nail 5 stars on that one as it is listed on the Monroney (Window) Sticker that every car shopper sees. IIHS ratings aren't on the window sticker, so it may be easier to go under the radar for not being a "top safety pick" or rating Poor in a category.

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
Probably because the NHTSA star rating is the big test everyone knows about. Better marketing to nail 5 stars on that one as it is listed on the Monroney (Window) Sticker that every car shopper sees. IIHS ratings aren't on the window sticker, so it may be easier to go under the radar for not being a "top safety pick" or rating Poor in a category.
Plus, this years IIHS top pick is next years poor rating. IIHS tests demand continual improvement that most companies cannot achieve during a product cycle.

boiler81

Feb 22, 2016
Manson, WA
Surprised the headlights only got an "A" considering how bright and well it covers the area in front of you.

My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300's has the LED headlights and like those I'm sure the M3's headlights provide a bright white light, which does a great job of illuminating a wide path, but like the Mercedes, fall short of providing adequate focused illumination down the road. I've yet to see a LED headlight without being "lensed" which provides adequate illumination down the road to not be "over driving" the headlights at highway speeds. I guess the auto high beams may help, but as can be seen from the rating, they fall short of optimum also.

TT97

Aug 6, 2017
Los Angeles
My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300's has the LED headlights and like those I'm sure the M3's headlights provide a bright white light, which does a great job of illuminating a wide path, but like the Mercedes, fall short of providing adequate focused illumination down the road. I've yet to see a LED headlight without being "lensed" which provides adequate illumination down the road to not be "over driving" the headlights at highway speeds. I guess the auto high beams may help, but as can be seen from the rating, they fall short of optimum also.

A lot of the issues have to do with U.S. regulations. The big 3 German brands all have some form of selective high beams - in essence, high beams are on all the time and they can block out portions where there is traffic yet the rest of the area is well illuminated. Unfortunately, that technology is verboten in the U.S.

GatorGuy

Feb 25, 2018
Jacksonville
I had no issues with overdriving my Audi's LEDs.

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
A lot of the issues have to do with U.S. regulations. The big 3 German brands all have some form of selective high beams - in essence, high beams are on all the time and they can block out portions where there is traffic yet the rest of the area is well illuminated. Unfortunately, that technology is verboten in the U.S.

The laser headlights that BMW makes had to be certified by the FDA before they could be sold.

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
It is only the i8 that has them and they are different in the U.S. vs Europe - about 50% weaker here and are just standard auto-high beams (no selective high beams)
It was more implying the absurdity that the FDA is the department that is certifying headlights. The i8 also has that laser eye damage warning sticker on the inside of the housing.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC