Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 gets cement dumped on it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Watching Channel 2 Fox news at 10pm and they were reporting about an accident of an overturned cement truck on an overpass in San Francisco. Cars below got showered with the mix. One was a black Model 3 with aeros and the owner was trying to clean it up (short video interview with him) and from the overhead photos of the scene looks like maybe a white Tesla might have also been involved. Yikes! Feel for those car owners affected. If you look through the photos on the news site one car looks like it's back window got blown out and cement probably went throughout the interior. Lots of people having a bad day.

Cement truck overturns on Central Freeway connector in San Francisco, debris below

Watching Channel 2 Fox news at 10pm and they were reporting about an accident of an overturned cement truck on an overpass in San Francisco. Cars below got showered with the mix. One was a black Model 3 with aeros and the owner was trying to clean it up (short video interview with him) and from the overhead photos of the scene looks like maybe a white Tesla might have also been involved. Yikes! Feel for those car owners affected. If you look through the photos on the news site one car looks like it's back window got blown out and cement probably went throughout the interior. Lots of people having a bad day.

Cement truck overturns on Central Freeway connector in San Francisco, debris below

The title of the thread is an exaggeration.

You don't just get a general purpose home water hose and hose off a car that had "Cement dumped on it".

Looks like dust to me.

The title of the thread is an exaggeration.

You don't just get a general purpose home water hose and hose off a car that had "Cement dumped on it".

Looks like dust to me.

Yeah I was a bit confused by it as well. It does look like cement mix and not concrete though on his car. Strange truck to be carrying it -- open bed and huge bed area. One news station said it was a landscaping contractor's vehicle. We had some hardscape work done where footings, columns and sidewalks were pumped and poured and so I was expecting one of those rotating cement mixer trucks like we had show up. Still a stange mix of cement powder and clumps of what? gravel? on that one car. And the one that had it's window blown out must have gotten the worst of it.

An air compressor for removal sounds much more reasonable than hosing it down. All the same sure glad it wasn't my car involved in that.

So Bauman had this overhead photo of their concrete mixing truck on their website and this showing their truck directly pumping concrete from it. Different from what I'm familiar with but looks like maybe it combines both cement mix (in one half of the bed) with gravel (on the other half) and add water (assume that's a water tank near the chute) and send out ready concrete through the chute. Interesting truck design. From the KPIX site footage it look like there was some liquid flowing on the overpass. I'm thinking some cars got luckier than others.

bauman concrete truck - 1.jpg

bauman concrete truck - 1 (1).jpg

All I could think about was the TV commercials for Farmers Insurance Company that gets claims for all kinds of strange things. "Ah, I'm calling to report my car covered in concrete mix, what do I do?" Actually they already did a commercial for it!

Last edited:
Insert jokes referencing heavy CO2 use, Tesla Semis and being 'stuck' in traffic.

eg.

I heard that cement uses a ton of CO2 in production?
Yeah - but if you drop it on a Tesla it cancels out the carbon.

If that'd've been a Tesla Semi it wouldn't have turned over.
Depends if that counts as an onramp.

I heard something about a cement truck overturning on a Tesla?
Yup: the owner is now stuck in traffic.