Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 glass roof failing - do others have this issue ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3, in the 3000 VIN range, which I purchased in January. Apart from a brake light moisture issue which was fixed in 3 days, until one week ago I was quite happy with the car. That was when I noticed that a foot wide and foot high series of cracks in a shape vaguely like that of the Tesla logo had appeared in the front and center of the glass roof. The car is kept in a garage at home and at work and there have been no impacts on the roof. I contacted the local Tesla service center and was told they needed to order the replacement part and would let me know when it came in. After a week, I contacted them again to ask how long it would be to fix it. I was then told that I would need to wait an additional 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile over the week the cracks have spread by another 8 inches on both sides and are much deeper. Soon the entire front third of the glass roof looks like it is going to crack. I then offered to bring the car in for inspection so they can see how big the issue is (photographs do not show the problem very well). I also think they should investigate it in case this is a manufacturing issue that only shows up after 4 months, when the car has been exposed to heat and cold (the car is not in California). They agreed to look at it and I brought the car in today to my local Tesla Service Center.

Today, a Tesla service center person looked at the cracking and agreed that it was stress cracking and not due to an impact. The front two inches of the glass roof overlap with metal and he noticed that there was a very deep crack in that area which I had previously not noticed as it is not visible from inside the car. He told me not to worry --- that the roof was laminated glass and the roof would not break and was still waterproof. That said, he then decided to tape the deep crack with cellophane tape "to keep the air out". And when I again asked about how soon they would replace the roof, he told me that I will still going to have to wait a month or two because he can't get the part soon. I am one day of ground shipping away from California and surely there is a warehouse of glass roofs in Fremont, waiting to be used for new Model 3's.

If the roof cracks continue to extend, in a week or so, I am not sure the car will still be driveable since I am not willing to risk driving a car in the rain with 1/3 of the glass roof badly cracked and there already is what looks like could be an actual hole above the front metal part of the roof. Plus if the Tesla Service person is taping a part of the glass roof, I take that as a bad sign.

I do not think this failure of the glass roof in a new car (from stress cracking, ie a manufacturing or parts problem) is being addressed in a professional manner because the issue deserves immediate repair not what could be a 2 month delay. There are very few Model 3's that are 4 months old so there can't be many service issues yet so it is hard to understand why I am being put off by the Tesla Service Center. It was my idea to drive to the Service Center --- it has been hard to get their attention on this issue.

I would like suggestions on what to do and whether any other Model 3 owner has seen this problem yet.

I have a Model 3, in the 3000 VIN range, which I purchased in January. Apart from a brake light moisture issue which was fixed in 3 days, until one week ago I was quite happy with the car. That was when I noticed that a foot wide and foot high series of cracks in a shape vaguely like that of the Tesla logo had appeared in the front and center of the glass roof. The car is kept in a garage at home and at work and there have been no impacts on the roof. I contacted the local Tesla service center and was told they needed to order the replacement part and would let me know when it came in. After a week, I contacted them again to ask how long it would be to fix it. I was then told that I would need to wait an additional 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile over the week the cracks have spread by another 8 inches on both sides and are much deeper. Soon the entire front third of the glass roof looks like it is going to crack. I then offered to bring the car in for inspection so they can see how big the issue is (photographs do not show the problem very well). I also think they should investigate it in case this is a manufacturing issue that only shows up after 4 months, when the car has been exposed to heat and cold (the car is not in California). They agreed to look at it and I brought the car in today to my local Tesla Service Center.

Today, a Tesla service center person looked at the cracking and agreed that it was stress cracking and not due to an impact. The front two inches of the glass roof overlap with metal and he noticed that there was a very deep crack in that area which I had previously not noticed as it is not visible from inside the car. He told me not to worry --- that the roof was laminated glass and the roof would not break and was still waterproof. That said, he then decided to tape the deep crack with cellophane tape "to keep the air out". And when I again asked about how soon they would replace the roof, he told me that I will still going to have to wait a month or two because he can't get the part soon. I am one day of ground shipping away from California and surely there is a warehouse of glass roofs in Fremont, waiting to be used for new Model 3's.

If the roof cracks continue to extend, in a week or so, I am not sure the car will still be driveable since I am not willing to risk driving a car in the rain with 1/3 of the glass roof badly cracked and there already is what looks like could be an actual hole above the front metal part of the roof. Plus if the Tesla Service person is taping a part of the glass roof, I take that as a bad sign.

I do not think this failure of the glass roof in a new car (from stress cracking, ie a manufacturing or parts problem) is being addressed in a professional manner because the issue deserves immediate repair not what could be a 2 month delay. There are very few Model 3's that are 4 months old so there can't be many service issues yet so it is hard to understand why I am being put off by the Tesla Service Center. It was my idea to drive to the Service Center --- it has been hard to get their attention on this issue.

I would like suggestions on what to do and whether any other Model 3 owner has seen this problem yet.
Yes, mine with a VIN of 33xx also had the issue. Luckily my SC was able to locate a new glass piece and replace it quickly. This should be a known issue to Tesla. They should have easily diagnose and been able to order you new part. Now as to logistics of getting a new part, I am sure they are doing what they can. I had to replace my entire rear bumper and deck lid and that took about 5-6 weeks to get those parts.

My car (a model S) was in an accident mid-March and parts are still missing, delivery dates are missed, and new etas come and go each week. These part delays are what are going to really hurt the brand's reputation. I hope Tesla can get a hold of this issue.

I agree, you'd think with the Model 3 it would be better -- but apparently not.

Yes, mine with a VIN of 33xx also had the issue. Luckily my SC was able to locate a new glass piece and replace it quickly. This should be a known issue to Tesla. They should have easily diagnose and been able to order you new part. Now as to logistics of getting a new part, I am sure they are doing what they can. I had to replace my entire rear bumper and deck lid and that took about 5-6 weeks to get those parts.
Thank you for the note and letting me know you had the same issue. Glad to hear that your SC resolved it quickly. I wish my SC took the same approach. My SC says they have "never" seen the issue --- and do not appear very motivated to fix it either. As for the logistics of parts, if they have a known serious issue, they should make the parts quickly available to fix it, and it is pretty clear that they have a warehouse full of the glass roofs in California.

Thank you for the note and letting me know you had the same issue. Glad to hear that your SC resolved it quickly. I wish my SC took the same approach. My SC says they have "never" seen the issue --- and do not appear very motivated to fix it either. As for the logistics of parts, if they have a known serious issue, they should make the parts quickly available to fix it, and it is pretty clear that they have a warehouse full of the glass roofs in California.
See thread

Large crack in pano roof

Can you please post a couple of pictures.

Reactions: jsrawa

Bummer.

UPDATE: based on a suggestion from this forum, rather than trying to escalate via the Service Center, I instead went to the Tesla website, filed the issue and checked the "management" checkbox. I got an email the following day (Sunday), and 3 days later a replacement glass roof arrived at my Service Center. So in the end the issue was satisfactorily taken care of.

UPDATE: based on a suggestion from this forum, rather than trying to escalate via the Service Center, I instead went to the Tesla website, filed the issue and checked the "management" checkbox. I got an email the following day (Sunday), and 3 days later a replacement glass roof arrived at my Service Center. So in the end the issue was satisfactorily taken care of.
Wow that's a speedy turn around time once you escalated. Excellent.

Reactions: Jaywlker

It’s disheartening you had to escalate to get it resolved. Glad things worked out tho!

The roof should never have cracked. Bad assembly work in Fremont.

But compare this to most cars: there are widespread reports of glass roofs blowing out completely because the automakers are using tempered instead of laminated glass. Then the whole roof goes, showering the occupants with glass cube fragments.

Reactions: C141medic and MVuu