Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
13E419FC-D7AA-4CA3-B61E-D7E93B6A37EF.jpeg
Just to add another perspective... first I tinted the glass roof. The top of my head still got hot. Then Tesla started offering their sun screens, so I bought both. The top of my head was still too hot. So I went a little crazy and vinyl wrapped the roof. Subjectively, this actually made a huge difference. (Especially when I wanted to take a nap in the back.) Since my next car will probably also unfortunately have a glass roof (Model Y or VW ID Buzz), I plan to skip the tint and the screens and go straight for the wrap.

Has anyone used the Glass Roof Sunshade from Tesla for the front? I find on sunny days here in SoCal that the heat load in the car is high even with full ceramic tint on my entire car.
Yes. I’m in SoFla and it makes a difference. Only use it May thru October, then go bare in the winter. Better than tinting the roof permanently darker.

• Helpful
Reactions: Reborn and jpfive
Are there any that are not mesh? I don't want any sun still coming into the cabin.

Maybe a wrap like @EVNation is the way to go.
If you don’t want to commit to a wrap, I also considered putting some kind of either reflective or insulating material in the gap between the mesh screens and the glass roof. The screens fit snugly enough that they would probably support fabric or foam.

• Informative
Reactions: Misterbee
I put a layer of black felt in between the Tesla screen and the glass. It not only blocks all the light but it also improves the low-end response of the sound system a bit. It takes out a little bit of the resonance that the reflective roof causes. I really don't miss the view up above very much. I bought the felt at Joannes for about $3 and cut it to fit with scissors.

I put a layer of black felt in between the Tesla screen and the glass. It not only blocks all the light but it also improves the low-end response of the sound system a bit. It takes out a little bit of the resonance that the reflective roof causes. I really don't miss the view up above very much. I bought the felt at Joannes for about $3 and cut it to fit with scissors.
That’s a great idea. I may try that just to see if I like the effect on the sound system. A few months ago, I bought some felt with adhesive backing to use on a spot in my dash that rattled.

The one that I have has a silver reflective fabric that you can sandwich between the mesh and the glass. I put the mesh on for spring and fall and the silver for summer, actually putting the mesh on today after this crazy week of heat.

Looks like Amazon no longer carries the Mixsuper Newly Update Model 3 Sun Shades,Car Sunroof UV Rays Protection Window Shade for Tesla Model 3,Half Covered Rear Sunshade Type with Free UV and Heat Insulation Film. It still links to a product, but not one for the Model 3. Glad I jumped when I did.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Glass Roof Sunshade from Tesla for the front? I find on sunny days here in SoCal that the heat load in the car is high even with full ceramic tint on my entire car.

I use front and rear. I think they work well in Florida. If the full force of our summer sun becomes too much I will probably add material or felt between the screen and the glass. The rear unit does not impede rear visibility, even at night. They can be easily removed if you want to experience the sky view on one of those rare days, but they do not store well in the car. I ordered mine before I had the car. After experiencing the panoramic view for a few days, in went the screens, and there they have stayed.

I use front and rear. I think they work well in Florida. If the full force of our summer sun becomes too much I will probably add material or felt between the screen and the glass. The rear unit does not impede rear visibility, even at night. They can be easily removed if you want to experience the sky view on one of those rare days, but they do not store well in the car. I ordered mine before I had the car. After experiencing the panoramic view for a few days, in went the screens, and there they have stayed.

Same. I have both front and back sunshades from Tesla. After first installing them, I decided to just leave them in. Visibility out back, even at night, still works for me.

...I will add I chose not to tint sun roof and rear window (only sides). These shades allow the option for additional sun and heat protection, if need be. Honestly, about the only time I might take them out is in the Winter, or possibly when I have a rather tall passenger in back (rear shade protrudes from window a couple inches).

Overall, I feel they were worth the investment.

Reactions: jpfive
In the summer my car has a fan that runs all day trying to keep the car cool. When I got the mesh product it made the difference between the fan running or not. I have started using the new Vent feature, but that wasn't around when I got the sunshade and it's not automatic, closing when it gets cold or windy or rainy.

Also, I am bald and find that if I drive in the car for a LONG time in the summer my head starts to get pretty crispy. Mostly I just like coming back to the car at the mall and not having to sit in a burning hot car, the sunshade makes a BIG difference.

Reactions: EVNation
If you don’t want to commit to a wrap, I also considered putting some kind of either reflective or insulating material in the gap between the mesh screens and the glass roof. The screens fit snugly enough that they would probably support fabric or foam.

I did that on a road trip last summer. Got some Reflectix thermal insulated foil from Lowe's, cut it to fit, and used the mesh sun shield to hold it in place. Worked great in the desert.

• Love
Reactions: EVNation