Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof with roof rack ***Crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a Tesla model 3 roof rack and noticed a crack in the glass roof!!!!!!! OMG
This is a $1200 replacement - what do I do???

20230120_082026 (1).jpg

Sorry to hear that!

I've installed ours twice. I think the issue isn't overtightening as much as having the metal piece properly in the receiving bracket. There's a picture of that bracket with the glass removed. That will help.

If it makes you feel better, even if it seemed that the crack was a manufacturing defect, Tesla wouldn't pay for it.

Check your insurance. Ours paid all but $100 for a crack unrelated to the roof rack.

If it cracked immediately after install of the rack, either you installed it improperly or the glass was uneven (if one side or both raises above the roof rails, such that it would be impossible to install without rack putting pressure on glass). The former Tesla obviously doesn't cover, the latter they might.

Unfortunately the margin of error is very low. A common mistake is not lining up the bracket correctly. Another one is overtorquing.

I would guess you didnt get the hooks under the mounting points located on the glass. You can feel when they are in position, if not you just tightened the brackets onto the glass and broke it.

Save up for a new roof i guess.

I just installed a Tesla model 3 roof rack and noticed a crack in the glass roof!!!!!!! OMG
This is a $1200 replacement - what do I do???

View attachment 903553

The answer to the thread question is "pay to replace it". These questions normally come as "shouldnt tesla cover this under warranty ???111?!!?!?!?!?" and in this case, at least to even my untrained eye, it looks like the cracks run straight to underneath the roof rack bar (presumably to a mounting spot there).

So, you pay to replace it, and if you want a tesla roof rack, at the time of replacement, you pay additional for them to install it for you.

Reactions: MrFusion4
First question is….was the rack installed correct? By correct I mean the J bracket is without a doubt in the correct position…slotted into the metal brackets under the glass. And absolutely certain the mounting bolt was NOT over torqued? As mentioned they don’t need to be tightened down that much at all. 2.5-3.5nm is very low. Depending on how strong your fingers are…
can be finger tight or just past finger tight. If you’re certain it was installed correct, take it to Tesla and have them inspect everything….specifically the mounting bracket.

Majority of the reports here of broken glass are due to improper install…at least one by a Tesla tech even :oops:. There were one or two that claimed to be installed correct, were due to faulty brackets, Tesla replaced the glass and installed the rack. But when asked how they fixed the bracket…. never responded. If you look at the pics I’ve posted a long time ago. The brackets are welded to the roof structure. My skepticism is do the service centers even have the capability to reweld the brackets? In any event here’s the link to my post with the pics of the bracket.

Last edited:
Reactions: PianoAl and GtiMart
Those images should be included with the installation instructions. It didn't feel as clearcut when I did my installs, but looking at them, I'm not sure how you could have the J piece in the wrong place.

It would be helpful to have pics, so people don’t think they’re just clamping onto the glass itself. With the lines and arrows, I don’t know how one could install them in the wrong place either….But yet there are posts of people not installing them in correct position lol. Like the original poster of that thread. You can clearly see he didn’t align the sticker correctly.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Kind of a quesy design . I am having them install mine on my new Y.
I looked for the arrows and could only find one of the lines on sunny
day. I think they may have increased the amount of tint on the roof
cause I checked them on other cars before.
The original S's had roof rack ports.

I installed one on my 3 a few weeks ago. Took my time, followed the instructions, and even bought me a 1-6 NM torque wrench for the job. Figured a $30 tool would be good insurance my $450 roof rack didn’t damage my $45,000 car. Easy installation, no cracks. Can’t see how a crack would develop either. As others have said, the load from the rack is directed to the frame of the car, not the glass. And the clamps don’t actually clamp the mount to the glass at all.

I installed one on my 3 a few weeks ago. Took my time, followed the instructions, and even bought me a 1-6 NM torque wrench for the job. Figured a $30 tool would be good insurance my $450 roof rack didn’t damage my $45,000 car. Easy installation, no cracks. Can’t see how a crack would develop either. As others have said, the load from the rack is directed to the frame of the car, not the glass. And the clamps don’t actually clamp the mount to the glass at all.
Its usually user error in not installing it correctly.

I am scared enough to have them come by and do it and I am not convinced
that even they can do it right. Just saw a post tonight that there has to be
certain space between the loop that the J hook goes in and the side of the car.
I can barely see the lines and arrows in my car they must have increased the
amount tint in the glass because I could see it on other cars. Also the check
was that you had the J hook engaged is you are able to slide it a little to the
each side to make sure the J hook is engaged and also the J hooks should also stick out and equal distance in all positions . This is check they are not hooked
under the glass. I am wondering if the Tech will bring any kind of Torque wrench
I guessing no.