Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glove box dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am still on the waiting list for my model 3....but would like to do some planning.

I have watched a bunch of the videos & searched on here, but have not been able to find an answer to these questions:

1) What are the internal dimensions of the Model 3 glove box? width x depth x height

2) Is the "floor" of the glove box flat so all of the width/depth can be used? (or angled so if something rigid is put inside then it will be at an angle)

3) Is the globe box door opening wider or more narrow than the height inside the glove box?

4) Do you think there is a way to route a cable from the glove box to the usb ports below the phone charger location?

5) What material is the floor of the glove box made of?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know anyone with a Model 3 near me, and I can't find this info online.

Thanks in advance for your time & knowledge.

I carry small valuable items from clients locations. Rather than keep them on me at all times I would feel more comfortable if they were "secure" in my work car. I disqualified the Model S as my next work car due to the glove box dimensions. Hoping I can mount a tiny/small safe horizontally in the glove box of the model 3. All of my questions relate to that goal.

Re: FAQ thread.
My plan is to get my questions answered then consolidate them into a FAQ that the owner of the FAQ can cut-n-paste into the "master" Model 3 thread.

Thanks for your help.

I carry small valuable items from clients locations. Rather than keep them on me at all times I would feel more comfortable if they were "secure" in my work car. I disqualified the Model S as my next work car due to the glove box dimensions. Hoping I can mount a tiny/small safe horizontally in the glove box of the model 3. All of my questions relate to that goal.

Re: FAQ thread.
My plan is to get my questions answered then consolidate them into a FAQ that the owner of the FAQ can cut-n-paste into the "master" Model 3 thread.

Thanks for your help.

Rad idea.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Especially in a car that, for the few years at least, will draw a lot of attention from both fans and car thieves (Tesla = rich guy's car; let's see what expensive stuff he has squirreled away inside).
The good news is that they'll never figure out how to open the glovebox. I can just see them going crazy thinking "There must be a button here somewhere".

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and Runt8
The glove box safe is just meant to stop/slow the smash-grab-run thief. Other measures are taken to deter a more sophisticated/determined thief.

Re: truck or frunk
Would highly prefer the safe to be within reach of the driver/passenger. The windows will be dark tinted to keep prying eyes from seeing activities in the car. (Putting stuff in and out of the safe)

Re: no button for the glove box
Agree that this is helpful. However I do not think it will withstand a long screwdriver applied with force/leverage if the thief knows where the glove box is. But is another small deterrent.

The glove box safe is just meant to stop/slow the smash-grab-run thief. Other measures are taken to deter a more sophisticated/determined thief.

Re: truck or frunk
Would highly prefer the safe to be within reach of the driver/passenger. The windows will be dark tinted to keep prying eyes from seeing activities in the car. (Putting stuff in and out of the safe)

Re: no button for the glove box
Agree that this is helpful. However I do not think it will withstand a long screwdriver applied with force/leverage if the thief knows where the glove box is. But is another small deterrent.
How does the safe secure to the glovebox? Seems like if it's small enough to fit, it's small enough to be removed and opened later.

How does the safe secure to the glovebox? Seems like if it's small enough to fit, it's small enough to be removed and opened later.

Once I know the dimensions & if the glove box is flat internally...then I plan to evaluate the options to secure the safe in the glove box. Hopefully there is a way to access the area above the passenger’s feet to then put a few long bolts through the safe and screw the nuts on tightly.

If that will not work then maybe loop a strong cable (like what a Kensington cable does for laptops) around the areas around the glove box. Some small safes have a way to hold that type of cable.

Many unknowns to this project

Hmmm. I switched to crack for volumetric efficiency.

I am no drugs transport expert, but pretty sure hiding them (vs preventing theft) is the reason folks (at least in the movies) hide their drugs in hidden car compartments. If that was my goal I am sure a few hollow cells in the battery below the front seats would do wonders (sans the heat output of the sealed batteries)

Might want to grab one of these while you're at it.

IMG_2152.GIF