Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 got sideswiped, third party repair experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After almost exactly one year of driving my 3, it finally hit me. Well another car did. The other driver changed lanes without indicating and caused quite some damage, including shearing off the left front tire valve. front and back left doors badly damaged, driver door would not fully open anymore.

GkNqktP.jpg

DLdrMNP.jpg

The Tesla service center was quite a ways away so inspection was done at a nearby (non-brand-specific) mechanic. I'm glad it's an insurance matter, it's not cheap. But then again, neither was the repair of my Zoe back in the day. So considering the current situation (which was not that severe back then, but currently is) we left the car at the mechanic instead of going through Tesla. Parts were also not ordered from Tesla. Parts availability was good, it took a bit over 6 days (the official bodyshop quoted me something like 2 days for body parts, which would've been even faster but then I would not have been able to fetch the car after it was fixed...)

So on to the repairs...

5rKhUz0.jpg

0EiTBQU.jpg

5VcG5SR.jpg

After 2 weeks, the car is now back to this:

JHU7mjv.jpg

0CiYLhL.jpg

So yeah this went basically exactly like with any other car. If anything it was quicker than Renault since the Zoe repairs took 3 weeks (then again, different damage, but most of the time was spent waiting for parts).

This is not to say that some of the horror stories aren't true. My experiences were very normal, despite the current crisis.

Wow. That looks great. How do you feel about the job/fit/finish post repair?

They still need to do a bit of polishing of the clear coat, they just want to wait a few days for that. I'd say the Tesla-approved body shop in Vienna is a lot more professional and knows EVs. This guy, not so much. I had to call him to plug in the car since it went down to 9% battery.

But I can't complain about the result, it looks good. He did a good job with the alignments too.

And now he wants a Model 3 himself too ;)

Reactions: WilliamG and JøhP