TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 grabs my phone call when wife gets home

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dave92F1, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Dave92F1

Dave92F1 New Member

If I'm on the phone when my wife pulls into the garage in her Model 3, the car grabs the audio away from my phone (via Bluetooth).

Yes, I setup my phone to sync with the car when I'm driving it.

This is not good.

When she's driving, the car knows it's her and not me (the driver is set to her for the seat adjustments, etc.). So it should know better.

How do I stop the car from grabbing my phone calls?

(Might this have something to do with me using her username/password on the Tesla app? I haven't been able to get Tesla to let me use my own - the car is in her name.)

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Remove your phone from being paired with the entertainment system. This is NOT the same as being connected as a key.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Is your wife’s phone connected to Bluetooth at the same time when this happens? I would assume that the Model 3 would only allow one Bluetooth phone connection at a time for phone and media playback.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm a little confused why the driver profile isn't linked to a specific bluetooth phone.

It's entirely possible that the phone itself is going off the bluetooth receiver ID that might not be changeable on a per driver basis.

5. Dave92F1

Dave92F1 New Member

But I want the car to grab the audio when I'm driving it myself. (So phone calls will go thru the car.)

Won't un-pairing the phone break that?

6. Dave92F1

Dave92F1 New Member

I suspect she has no idea. I'll check her phone and make sure BT is turned on.

Still - this seems like an issue that should go on a bug list. Somewhere.

7. Need

Need Active Member

Even on my X, the bluetooth connection is not linked to driver profile on the keyfob. I think it is the closest bluetooth it came in contact with will be connected. But OP's wife was driving the car, her phone should have connected to the car already. It shouldn't have switched. Unless her phone was never setup to connect to the car or she turned off bluetooth on the phone.

• Informative x 1
  8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

wrap the garage in tinfoil. haha

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. RFernatt

RFernatt Sun powered!

Same thing happens with my Leaf, so it's not just a Tesla thing, although Tesla would have the best shot at designing around the problem.

10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Do you have driver profiles in the Leaf?

Without driver profiles there is no technical way of preventing it.

11. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

What's funny is I'll probably obsess about this problem. Your solution is the unelegant sledge hammer approach. The solutions of disabling it defeats the purpose.

The solution of making sure her phone is linked MIGHT solve it.

12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

If she accesses the car with her phone's Bluetooth.....then

A car can connect to 2 different devices at the same time.

My phone connects to any newly presented Bluetooth device that has been previously paired. Looks like Tesla's do the same thing.

13. rdlink

rdlink Member

I suspect that once her phone is connected to BT, and if she is driving the car then your phone will not connect when she comes home, because it will not disconnect her phone to connect yours.

For some reason that I can't figure out the car manufacturers don't tie which phone is chosen for BT to the driver profile. But whichever phone connects first will likely stay connected until you manually swap which phone is connected. My GF's and my cars, both BMW's (for now) have a similar situation. Whichever one of our phones is in either of our cars when it starts get connected, no matter whose fob is being used to start the car. If the other phone is also in the car when the car starts it will always connect the phone that was last connected.

But if your phone is the only one paired with BT right now it makes sense that the car will try to connect to it when they're in range of each other.

It would seem to me that the manufacturers could figure out how to prioritize a particular phone that is associated with a particular driver. Heck, on my BMWs even the radio buttons are programmed based on whose fob is used to unlock the car. Why wouldn't they be able to put the BT priority in the driver profiles, too?

14. Garlan Garner

If my wife's phone is paired (connected) with my car.....and then I turn my phone on......it will pair (connect) with both at the same time.

It works the same way in my wife's Kia Sorento.

15. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

Tell your girlfriend not to call close to the time your wife is due back.

• Funny x 6
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. Garlan Garner

What?

What is wrong with you?

17. oldpueblo

oldpueblo Member

Though her phone may be connected via BT, maybe the phone profile isn't active? In Android at least, you can connect via BT but only activate certain parts like phone calls, media, contacts, messaging, etc.

18. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

That is funny! This might be important to some people.....

19. rachelhikes

rachelhikes Member

You don’t specify your phone, but my iPhone lets me change the audio connection for an active phone call: if the car grabs it from the built-in speaker/microphone, I can manually override that on the phone and switch it right back.

As a more global solution, you can turn off bluetooth on the phone when it is a problem, and turn it back on when it isn’t.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Maybe dumb default behavior.
    For our Volt, my wife's phone is the usual default.
    If I get in alone it will pick up mine.
    But if we are both in and I turn the car on, it will grab my wife's phone.

But if the Tesla can connect to multiple devices or if your wife's phone isn't paired, perhaps the car comes home, sees your phone and connects because it's a default.