Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 grabs my phone call when wife gets home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm on the phone when my wife pulls into the garage in her Model 3, the car grabs the audio away from my phone (via Bluetooth).

Yes, I setup my phone to sync with the car when I'm driving it.

This is not good.

When she's driving, the car knows it's her and not me (the driver is set to her for the seat adjustments, etc.). So it should know better.

How do I stop the car from grabbing my phone calls?

(Might this have something to do with me using her username/password on the Tesla app? I haven't been able to get Tesla to let me use my own - the car is in her name.)

Is your wife’s phone connected to Bluetooth at the same time when this happens? I would assume that the Model 3 would only allow one Bluetooth phone connection at a time for phone and media playback.

Is your wife’s phone connected to Bluetooth at the same time when this happens? I would assume that the Model 3 would only allow one Bluetooth phone connection at a time for phone and media playback.

I suspect she has no idea. I'll check her phone and make sure BT is turned on.

Still - this seems like an issue that should go on a bug list. Somewhere.

Even on my X, the bluetooth connection is not linked to driver profile on the keyfob. I think it is the closest bluetooth it came in contact with will be connected. But OP's wife was driving the car, her phone should have connected to the car already. It shouldn't have switched. Unless her phone was never setup to connect to the car or she turned off bluetooth on the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
If I'm on the phone when my wife pulls into the garage in her Model 3, the car grabs the audio away from my phone (via Bluetooth).

Yes, I setup my phone to sync with the car when I'm driving it.

This is not good.

When she's driving, the car knows it's her and not me (the driver is set to her for the seat adjustments, etc.). So it should know better.

How do I stop the car from grabbing my phone calls?

(Might this have something to do with me using her username/password on the Tesla app? I haven't been able to get Tesla to let me use my own - the car is in her name.)

wrap the garage in tinfoil. haha

If she accesses the car with her phone's Bluetooth.....then

A car can connect to 2 different devices at the same time.

My phone connects to any newly presented Bluetooth device that has been previously paired. Looks like Tesla's do the same thing.

I suspect that once her phone is connected to BT, and if she is driving the car then your phone will not connect when she comes home, because it will not disconnect her phone to connect yours.

For some reason that I can't figure out the car manufacturers don't tie which phone is chosen for BT to the driver profile. But whichever phone connects first will likely stay connected until you manually swap which phone is connected. My GF's and my cars, both BMW's (for now) have a similar situation. Whichever one of our phones is in either of our cars when it starts get connected, no matter whose fob is being used to start the car. If the other phone is also in the car when the car starts it will always connect the phone that was last connected.

But if your phone is the only one paired with BT right now it makes sense that the car will try to connect to it when they're in range of each other.

It would seem to me that the manufacturers could figure out how to prioritize a particular phone that is associated with a particular driver. Heck, on my BMWs even the radio buttons are programmed based on whose fob is used to unlock the car. Why wouldn't they be able to put the BT priority in the driver profiles, too?

I suspect that once her phone is connected to BT, and if she is driving the car then your phone will not connect when she comes home, because it will not disconnect her phone to connect yours.

For some reason that I can't figure out the car manufacturers don't tie which phone is chosen for BT to the driver profile. But whichever phone connects first will likely stay connected until you manually swap which phone is connected. My GF's and my cars, both BMW's (for now) have a similar situation. Whichever one of our phones is in either of our cars when it starts get connected, no matter whose fob is being used to start the car. If the other phone is also in the car when the car starts it will always connect the phone that was last connected.

But if your phone is the only one paired with BT right now it makes sense that the car will try to connect to it when they're in range of each other.

It would seem to me that the manufacturers could figure out how to prioritize a particular phone that is associated with a particular driver. Heck, on my BMWs even the radio buttons are programmed based on whose fob is used to unlock the car. Why wouldn't they be able to put the BT priority in the driver profiles, too?
If my wife's phone is paired (connected) with my car.....and then I turn my phone on......it will pair (connect) with both at the same time.

It works the same way in my wife's Kia Sorento.

You don’t specify your phone, but my iPhone lets me change the audio connection for an active phone call: if the car grabs it from the built-in speaker/microphone, I can manually override that on the phone and switch it right back.

As a more global solution, you can turn off bluetooth on the phone when it is a problem, and turn it back on when it isn’t.

Maybe dumb default behavior.
For our Volt, my wife's phone is the usual default.
If I get in alone it will pick up mine.
But if we are both in and I turn the car on, it will grab my wife's phone.

But if the Tesla can connect to multiple devices or if your wife's phone isn't paired, perhaps the car comes home, sees your phone and connects because it's a default.