Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Gripes 2 Months later

alseTrick

May 17, 2016
Florida, USA
Most of these are more issues with your car and not necessarily with all models 3s, right? The phone not unlocking would drive me crazy though, enough that I'd probably try and buy a new phone if it worked better.

No.

I've read multiple people mention these things as being issues:

*keyless entry
*charge port release
*phone charger docking
*touch screen pixelation
*floor mat quality
*full self driving timeline uncertainty
*interior material quality (mainly about the removal of the alcantara headliner though)

And i haven't heard anyone else mention issues with the "dashboard" warning lights but it sounds like it would affect the functionality on ALL model 3's as well.

Customer service could become an issue as hundreds of thousands of 3's enter the road, but the op's specific issue is a one-off type deal.

Hmm, apparently the air bag issue and the auto park are not isolated events either...

dhrivnak

Jan 8, 2011
NE Tennessee
Well I am only a month in and my list is MUCH shorter. The iPhone is a minor annoyance now as if my phone is in my hand I rotate my hips so my body is not between the car and phone it always works.

I can dock my phone with the case.

Since I plan to drive if I unplug unlocking the door First is fine.

My only real gripe is the reliance on 4G for maps as I frequent areas with no cell connection let alone 4G.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Well I am only a month in and my list is MUCH shorter. The iPhone is a minor annoyance now as if my phone is in my hand I rotate my hips so my body is not between the car and phone it always works.

I can dock my phone with the case.

Since I plan to drive if I unplug unlocking the door First is fine.

My only real gripe is the reliance on 4G for maps as I frequent areas with no cell connection let alone 4G.

I’m pretty sure it’s LTE not 4G. Unless you are annoyed that it supports LTE/4G and not 3G.

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
Since I plan to drive if I unplug, unlocking the door first is fine.

This depends on the layout of your garage.

If you approach your plugged-in Model 3 from the rear (as I would with a detached garage and pulling my car in head-first), then the charging cable will block your way to the B pillar. And since you'll have to tap a card on the driver's-side B pillar before removing the charging cable from the charge port, you'll have to step over the cable, which is a tripping hazard.

(The alternative would be to walk all the way around the passenger side of the car to get to the driver's-side B pillar, but: (A)who's gonna want to do that every day, especially when they might be in a hurry? And (B) that's assuming that there's enough space in front of the car to walk around, which many people won't have in small or cluttered garages.

Another alternative would be just to leave the car unlocked, but that won't work for everyone.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak

run-the-joules

Turgid Member
Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
This depends on the layout of your garage.

If you approach your plugged-in Model 3 from the rear (as I would with a detached garage and pulling my car in head-first), then the charging cable will block your way to the B pillar. And since you'll have to tap a card on the driver's-side B pillar before removing the charging cable from the charge port, you'll have to step over the cable, which is a tripping hazard.

(The alternative would be to walk all the way around the passenger side of the car to get to the driver's-side B pillar, but: (A)who's gonna want to do that every day, especially when they might be in a hurry? And (B) that's assuming that there's enough space in front of the car to walk around, which many people won't have in small or cluttered garages.

Another alternative would be just to leave the car unlocked, but that won't work for everyone.)

Pro tip: Just do a single quick press on a the trunk button and the car will wake up and unlock but not open the trunk.

Ben W

P85 #61, Roadster #108
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
I’ve now owned my model 3 for over 2 months and while I overall am happy with the car I wanted to summarize issues/problems I’ve experienced that may go under the radar in most reviews I've seen. Some of them are small gripes so I tried to put them in order of importance to me...

1. I have an iPhone X and have never had a problem connecting to the car. Just one data point of course; it's on Tesla to make sure it's reliable for all customers, not just a few.

2. I've had great customer service, though the SC's tend to be chronically overcrowded and backlogged, at least in LA where I live.

3, 5, 6. No problems with the upholstery, airbags or floor mats yet. But I've only had the car two months, in mostly good weather.

4. I'd cut Tesla some slack on EAP for another few months at least. I'm happy they're taking the time to ensure the additional EAP features work 100% correctly. Think about it this way: you can either have a car that continues to improve over time, or a car that comes pre-loaded on day one with every feature it will ever have, but by definition you can't have both.

7. Agreed the charging setup is a design fail. I wish they had offered us a choice of cables at delivery, or while configuring. (As an iPhone owner, the Android charger is useless to me.) And I've already experienced the obligatory hour of panic thinking I had lost my phone, only to later discover it had fallen through the crack into the space below.

8. I'll cut Tesla some slack for another few months on the minor software glitches. I've experienced very crackly audio from time to time as well, and had to do a number of console reboots, but that's par for the course (and is improving).

9. Agreed. Tesla desperately needs to produce an hour-long instructional video on Autopilot, covering both the intended functionality and the known limitations/weaknesses. It shouldn't be up to every driver to independently discover at their peril that AP can't handle freeway interchanges, or is bad with ambiguous lane markings, among many other shortcomings.

10. Agreed, Auto-Park in its current implementation is awful. I'll give them a year to sort it out.

11. For leaseholders, I agree that Tesla offering the $3k FSD is unethical, since the chance of it being meaningfully implemented in the lease timeframe is close to zero. For outright purchasers who plan to own their car for 8-10 years, it's still a risky bet. I did buy the $3k FSD with my Model 3 for three reasons: 1: I support the mission; 2: I want to keep Tesla's feet to the fire to actually develop and release FSD; and 3: I expect that FSD will eventually require significant hardware upgrades to AP2, and that the upgrades will be free to pre-buyers but not to after-the-fact buyers; in other words, I expect the $4k post-purchase price to go up significantly.

Last edited:

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
Pro tip: Just do a single quick press on a the trunk button and the car will wake up and unlock but not open the trunk.

Not if you're using the card key to unlock, which appears to be the only reliable option for most people.

And if you're using the phone key (assuming it's working properly), can't you just press the button on the charge connector to release it?

cellogig

Model X..Model 3
Feb 14, 2018
Near the BP oil spill
In response to tikiniki list, 1. Concerning bluetooth unlocking car with phone as a key.

I Just met another model 3 owner today at a Tesla sponsored symposium.

She has never logged into any online forums. She had a list of questions. One was...wait for it...

Why does my car not unlock when using my phone. Does not always work when I try to get in. I witness it also when we checked her car out. She had phone in hand. Car did respond when we approached. She tried the drivers door handle. Nothing happen.

She had to open her app and hit unlock.

She has an iPhone 7

run-the-joules

Turgid Member
Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
Not if you're using the card key to unlock, which appears to be the only reliable option for most people.

And if you're using the phone key (assuming it's working properly), can't you just press the button on the charge connector to release it?

Yeah for the card folks obviously no help. Charger button doesn’t unlock even with phone in range though.

• Informative
Reactions: Randy Spencer
Every issue mentioned by the OP is right on and personally seen by me.

The owners have their hopes on Warranty now, and for that, Tesla's report card: An "F" from the Better Business Bureau.

Nevertheless, the M3 I own - and all Teslas in general - are fun to drive. I think Tesla needs to get the following low hanging fruits first to fix their post-purchase image:

1. Build Quality or "Quality": Take your time do it right. Fix the minor nicks.

2. Transparency: Be upfront and brutally honest. Your buyers are well-to-do and not some average Joe who you can bullshit. So, when I ask "are the door gaps on B pillar within spec?" it is just a courtesy rhetoric question. Just say "No sir, but here's what we can do about it ...", rather than moaning forever. Quit refusing to fix!

2. Workaround imperfect technical decisions quickly:
(1) Break Tight marriage with Bluetooth: BLE is flaky. BLE is flaky. Again instead of dropping the ball and saying "Sir it doesn't work with iPhone" or something, just get the higher ups working on a key-fox (optional at least). Who ever complained about keyfobs? For card-key to work you have to kiss it to the precise place on body. RF works flawlessly for decades.
(2) Fix Body misalignments on various parts of body - glassroof misaligned, doors misaligned, charge port misaligned - just sit down and fix it.
(3) Fix tight marriage with touchscreen: Yep it IS futuristic. Fine, all controls are via touchscreen. But too many people have complained screen going blank or worse things starting on own due to phantom touches. WT ...
(4) Far fetched: Touchscreen should have tactical feedback. You are proactively asking driver to look away from where he is going. You are the safest car maker and how come you forgot tactical feedback on your only interface that's all accurate-touch-dependent? :(

Nevertheless, great looking, powerful and "green" cars...

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
9. Agreed. Tesla desperately needs to produce an hour-long instructional video on Autopilot, covering both the intended functionality and the known limitations/weaknesses. It shouldn't be up to every driver to independently discover at their peril that AP can't handle freeway interchanges, or is bad with ambiguous lane markings, among many other shortcomings.
Although helpful, I suspect a lot of people won't watch it just like a lot of people unfortunately don't read manuals.

IMHO, they should produce it but ALSO should include an audio recording (hopefully with sections or "chapters") that basically goes over the same info so that the driver can listen to it while driving. And, perhaps it should be mandatory listening at above a certain volume level before AP is even enabled for the driver. After all, there's a calibration phase anyway.

I'd hope it'd be shorter than an hour though... like 15 to 40 minutes.

Reactions: Ben W and T34ME

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
How in the f'ing world are the all-weather mats still not available in the Tesla Shop??? We're 9 months into production now. And it's not like Tesla would have to dedicate engineering resources to this. You get a supplier to do it. Totally baffling.
Do you want Tesla to concentrate on increasing the production ramp or developing all weather floor mats for you? Really, I am interested in your answer. Elon has said it is all hands on deck to increase production, improve quality, and refine the U.I. system. There are at least three independent suppliers of all weather mats for the model 3 that I know of. You have plenty of choices.

Bet TSLA

Dec 8, 2014
Cupertino, CA

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Anybody who takes hit pieces like this seriously is an idiot. All you have to know is that Tesla's owner satisfaction is off the charts high. From your complaints it sounds like a Tesla is the wrong car for you -- perhaps you would be happier in a BMW?
Forget what you consider a "hit piece". BBB Business Profile | Tesla Motors currently shows a grade of F.

(And yes, I know owner satisfaction ratings on Consumer Reports for the Model S and X are very high (10 Most Satisfying Cars), besides Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction.).

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
Do you want Tesla to concentrate on increasing the production ramp or developing all weather floor mats for you? Really, I am interested in your answer. Elon has said it is all hands on deck to increase production, improve quality, and refine the U.I. system. There are at least three independent suppliers of all weather mats for the model 3 that I know of. You have plenty of choices.

As I already stated in the post you quoted, Tesla wouldn't have to divert any of their core engineering reduces to design/manufacture floor mats. They'd outsource it to a supplier. (You can't possibly honestly think they'd be pulling UI software engineers or manufacturing engineers off their projects to work on floor mats -- unless you're just purposely trolling.)

But that's not even the real point. The point is this stuff should've been done 9 months ago. Just like the UI, except WAY easier. Just like every other competent car company in existence would've done. It's not a big deal in and of itself, but I do see it as just one more example in a very long list of examples of Tesla's general dysfunction in accomplishing even basic, routine tasks.

And as for the 3rd party offerings, I also addressed that in my earlier post. All the options I've seen are just cheap hexagon-patterned rubber sheets cut to shape. The Turo rental I drove had those, and I wouldn't want something so cheap and flimsy.

If you're intent on deflecting any criticism of Tesla at any cost, that's certainly your prerogative, but at least read a post before responding to it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC