Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ground Clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New to the forum. I test drove a Model 3 LR yesterday and loved it so much that I'm desperate to get one.

But the issue is that we live at the end of quite an inclined and bumpy bridal path and I'm concerned that I'll end up scrapping the bottom of the car each time I go up or down it.

I get the impression from on-line that Model 3 has quite a low ground clearance and looking at pictures the mud flaps do seem to be very close to the ground.

I'm just looking/hoping for some advice or reassurance from owners that this may not be an issue?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Paul

Hello,

New to the forum. I test drove a Model 3 LR yesterday and loved it so much that I'm desperate to get one.

But the issue is that we live at the end of quite an inclined and bumpy bridal path and I'm concerned that I'll end up scrapping the bottom of the car each time I go up or down it.

I get the impression from on-line that Model 3 has quite a low ground clearance and looking at pictures the mud flaps do seem to be very close to the ground.

I'm just looking/hoping for some advice or reassurance from owners that this may not be an issue?

Paul
I’m not sure how we are going to help as we don’t know your bridal path! I drive up farm tracks from time to time… I take care and it’s ok except on really deep ruts.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Paul
It is a concern, I'm afraid. I have scraped the bottom of my Model 3 on a metal ramp protecting a cable crossing the road, and on a particularly deep sleeping policeman, so I am very careful now. I cannot park in my sister's drive, since it slopes severely down from the road, and the car's low clearance and long wheelbase won't get me over the ridge. I have decided not to take the car to a holiday cottage which warned of a 300 metre bumpy track to get to it. On the other hand, no visible damage has actually been done although I haven't actually been underneath. It does need some care about this aspect of this wonderful car.

Upvote 0
Some pictures of the path

Drive1.jpg

Drive2.jpg

Upvote 0
It’s very dependent on the nature of the path. Roughness isn’t a problem but deep ruts or swooping deep potholes or a sudden very steep incline might be. There are loads of model 3s around these days so why not ask if someone might take a look. Even photos are hard to gauge.

Upvote 0
Might be clutching at straws, but is there anyone in the Halifax UK area with a Model 3 LR brave enough to come and test my drive for me?

As much as I love the car, I don't want to spend £50k on a car that I scrape off the floor every time I leave the house.

Thanks

Paul

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k
Upvote 0
I think ground clearance is 5.5 inches - compare with your current car and that should give you a reference point.

You could also chose bigger wheels (can't remember if tyre profile change negates the increased wheel size).

Also I remember a thread on here where an owner had got his suspension raised to combat a similar issue he had with the driveway to his holiday home somewhere in Europe (some sort of dirt track if I remember correctly). HERE is an example

Last option is to do a bit of Gorilla pot hole repairing on the big pot holes (a thing apparently example)

Note I occasionally visit a friend who lives down a un-adopted, unpaved road that can resemble the Somme battlefield on a bad day. So far slow and careful has got me down it with no incident but as mentioned earlier by someone it's not your road.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might be clutching at straws, but is there anyone in the Halifax UK area with a Model 3 LR brave enough to come and test my drive for me?

As much as I love the car, I don't want to spend £50k on a car that I scrape off the floor every time I leave the house.

Thanks

Paul

I would definitely give it a go if I was in the area ... unless the photos are not doing it justice that track looks quite mild to me!

Upvote 0
Last option is to do a bit of Gorilla pot hole repairing on the big pot holes (a thing apparently example)

If it's like other parts of Yorkshire that I am familiar with it will not be a council maintained road ... as can be seen! Self patching is the only way it's going to change ... but here are the car dimensions and ground clearance from the manual:
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 10.05.02.png

Reactions: Llama.
Upvote 0
Hello,

Paul
I guess that I am the forum's M3 offroader. I got the MPP Lift Kit and their Smash Me skid plate. I have a mountain track in Catalunya that really should see my Forester but my solar field and free charging beckon. It costs me about 10pc range so a trip to Spain costs me £66 instead of £60. BFD ;-)

Reactions: Jez_GB
Upvote 0
I guess that I am the forum's M3 offroader. I got the MPP Lift Kit and their Smash Me skid plate. I have a mountain track in Catalunya that really should see my Forester but my solar field and free charging beckon. It costs me about 10pc range so a trip to Spain costs me £66 instead of £60. BFD ;-)
Slightly off topic question - Who did you get to install your MPP kit. Have been looking at some of MPP's other suspension kits to address the cars occasional skittishness. Looking for a decent installer (preferably southern UK)

Upvote 0
This is the pothole that tends to cause the most issues (it right were the drive slope increases slightly)

View attachment 665916

If I repair this and drive slowly, I might be ok?

Thanks for all the feedback - its really appreciated

Paul
I think from your photographs that your drive is no worse than some of the country roads that I happily (but carefully) drive on. If you get the deepest potholes that you can't avoid filled, I think that you will be OK. It's only my opinion, and it's obviously your own responsibility.

Upvote 0
Slightly off topic question - Who did you get to install your MPP kit. Have been looking at some of MPP's other suspension kits to address the cars occasional skittishness. Looking for a decent installer (preferably southern UK)
I used Classic Car Solution in Harpenden. They are REAL automotive engineers as opposed to jobsworth part replacers.

I'm considering the MPP Comfort Coilovers. I wouldn't dream of going elsewhere.

Upvote 0