Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ground Clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New to the forum. I test drove a Model 3 LR yesterday and loved it so much that I'm desperate to get one.

But the issue is that we live at the end of quite an inclined and bumpy bridal path and I'm concerned that I'll end up scrapping the bottom of the car each time I go up or down it.

I get the impression from on-line that Model 3 has quite a low ground clearance and looking at pictures the mud flaps do seem to be very close to the ground.

I'm just looking/hoping for some advice or reassurance from owners that this may not be an issue?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Paul

Junction Road_s.jpg
Like pj_blood I live on an unadopted lane, the Tesla M3 isn't a problem, but the Morgan, with 80mm ground clearance can be. Take it slow and avoid the potholes where possible...

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0
Approach and departure angles aren't too bad on M3, due to the short front and rear overhangs. I did have some problems in a car park with high speed ramps - i found that my mudguards would scrape if i went over them perpendicular to the speed hump. You can improve the break angle by crossing those sorts of obstacles at an angle. Pot holes arent a problem unless you try to take them at speed, IMO.

From your photos, the problem may be where the main road falls off to the path/track - if the transition is too abrupt, you may run risk of beaching. Can you take a picture of the transition?

Upvote 0
This is the pothole that tends to cause the most issues (it right were the drive slope increases slightly)

View attachment 665916

If I repair this and drive slowly, I might be ok?

Thanks for all the feedback - its really appreciated

Paul
That looks like the central London roads I cycle on! I can understand your caution but I’d be disappointed if the M3 couldn’t cope with driving over that slowly. As others have said, the camber is difficult to judge though.

I’d be tempted to buy some hardcore to pack into the hole. Would probably need redoing every so often but still...

Upvote 0
The mudflaps are the worst part I continually ground mine coming in and out of the drive unless I get the angle right. Going straight in or out is a guaranteed grounding but 15-20 degree approach angel and then straightening up before hitting the wall at the side seems to avoid rubbing them. So although you probably won't ground the car you may find the mudflaps a pain. Never had a problem on my previous car and that was only a 111mm clearance compared to the M3's 140mm.

Upvote 0