Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ground Clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New to the forum. I test drove a Model 3 LR yesterday and loved it so much that I'm desperate to get one.

But the issue is that we live at the end of quite an inclined and bumpy bridal path and I'm concerned that I'll end up scrapping the bottom of the car each time I go up or down it.

I get the impression from on-line that Model 3 has quite a low ground clearance and looking at pictures the mud flaps do seem to be very close to the ground.

I'm just looking/hoping for some advice or reassurance from owners that this may not be an issue?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Paul

Be VERY Careful!!!! I have a Model 3 Performance and I made the mistake of driving over a sheet of Bubble Wrap......totally scratched up the underside of my car :confused:

Only Joking ;) - but if you add the Tesla Mud Flaps then these are very low and will scrape. I had them fitted and my drive way which is not bumpy and speed bumps on the road are scraped by the Mud Flaps.

Upvote 0
Be VERY Careful!!!! I have a Model 3 Performance and I made the mistake of driving over a sheet of Bubble Wrap......totally scratched up the underside of my car :confused:

Only Joking ;) - but if you add the Tesla Mud Flaps then these are very low and will scrape. I had them fitted and my drive way which is not bumpy and speed bumps on the road are scraped by the Mud Flaps.
I got coloured mud flaps from Torque Alliance. No issue as they don’t have the extra bit

Upvote 0

I take it the Mud Flaps come as standard when you buy the car? (you get very little options specifying a Tesla)

Upvote 0
I take it the Mud Flaps come as standard when you buy the car? (you get very little options specifying a Tesla)
When I got mine (March 2020) they were not standard but then I got sent them for free as part of the Tesla Winter pack thing...so then when I went to get my Alloy Wheel refurbed at the SC they installed them too.

Sorry on another note - I was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost to fix my curbed 20inch Grey Performance Alloy Wheel - £85.80 (thats a good price right?)

Reactions: Jez_GB and M3noob
Upvote 0

The supplied mud flaps come in 2 parts and are only for the front. The main part doesn't add much but there is a flat extension section that you can trim to a shorter length or not use at all. Those of us with with 2019 and early 2020 cars didn't have mudflaps at all though Tesla subsequently offered them for self fitting.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• PXL_20201030_135833994.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201030_135833994.MP.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
This is the pothole that tends to cause the most issues (it right were the drive slope increases slightly)

View attachment 665916

If I repair this and drive slowly, I might be ok?

Thanks for all the feedback - its really appreciated

Paul
I don’t think this path will be a problem. Just drive slowly. I have to reverse into my driveway which is quite steep to the road but no problems if go slowly. The ground clearance is no different to most saloons.

Upvote 0