TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Hack: View the rear view camera while driving (and still keep the navigation in view)

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by djgeorgevas, Nov 21, 2019.

1. djgeorgevas

djgeorgevas Member

Here's a hack I came up with to be able to view the rear view camera while still keeping the nav screen in view on the Model 3. You can make a better version yourself very easily with stuff lying around the house

• Love x 5
    • Like x 2
  2. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

I love the idea, but wish Tesla would just let us lower the camera like they do with the music app.

• Like x 3
  3. 640k

640k Member

how much does this mess with your ability to actually use any of the other functions on the touchscreen? is this really so important that you guys can't drive with just your mirrors?

• Like x 1
  4. eli_

eli_ Member

The right fix is to make 3D visualization rock solid and also let you keep the 3D view aimed to the rear.

• Love x 1
  5. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I just stumbled on this “hack”. I was kinda excited about it at first, but it looks like it’s no longer very useful for the rear camera since now the background on the rear camera screen is dramatically dimmed, so much so that it’s nearly unreadable.

I wonder if Tesla changed this as part of the recent software update that added the option of showing the side cameras on the screen along with the rear camera.(?)

It still works with the energy screen, charging screen, and settings menu, but those aren’t really useful to have up on just part of the screen. And it does NOT appear to work with the browser, which can’t be dragged down.

(Model 3; 2020.28.6)

6. Gasaraki

Gasaraki Member

Yes this was changed in a recent update, the one where they but the two side cameras up when you do the rear camera. I just wish the rear camera view while driving doesn't take up the whole screen. The whole bottom half is useless anyway since it's so close to the car.

• Informative x 1