Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 hand control for disability driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My partner has a disability and would like to drive my model 3. However, in order to perform the modifications for hand driving, the installation place requires the car electric plans. These plans are apparently not available by Tesla. Has anyone had modified a model 3 for hand driving and how has it been done or where?

Thanks

Here's a thread from S forum where someone converted their car to hand driving. Maybe start there and send a direct message to the member who did the hand drive conversion.

Keep in mind that hand driving conversions on a lot of vehicles make them difficult and uncomfortable to operate for people who don't need to operate with hand controls.... you would basically be doing a conversion to make the car driveable by the other person and much MUCH less driveable for you due to how much space the hand controls take up, them obstructing view of the center screen, etc.

Tesla is very secretive about the schematics of their cars and probably doesn't release them to any vendors unless they are required to by law.

My new baby!

Matharri,
I am trying to do exactly the same as you right now! Our plan is to have mechanical hand controls installed. With this, I think the only electronics they need to worry about is disabling the driver's side knee air bag.
What did you find out? Was the work able to be completed?
Any info. you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

My partner has a disability and would like to drive my model 3. However, in order to perform the modifications for hand driving, the installation place requires the car electric plans. These plans are apparently not available by Tesla. Has anyone had modified a model 3 for hand driving and how has it been done or where?

Thanks
Hello,
Were you able to install hand controls? What were any problems you encountered?
Thank you.

Hi all;

I just got Menox hand controls installed in my Tesla Model 3 (last adjustments done last week). No need to disconnect air bags, no need for wiring diagram etc. It was an expensive proposition because the Menox come from Sweden where the Tesla Model 3 is not yet sold, so no adapting kit was available and they had to make up the brackets to transfer the hand controls from my BMW to the Tesla. But now works like a dream!

Hi all;

I just got Menox hand controls installed in my Tesla Model 3 (last adjustments done last week). No need to disconnect air bags, no need for wiring diagram etc. It was an expensive proposition because the Menox come from Sweden where the Tesla Model 3 is not yet sold, so no adapting kit was available and they had to make up the brackets to transfer the hand controls from my BMW to the Tesla. But now works like a dream!

Hi Vancan. My son is a paraplegic who has driven a vehicle (Audi A5) with Menox hand controls for many years. He prefers the Menox on the floor design over the column mounted controls. I understand you transferred your controls from your BMW to your Model 3. We are contemplating purchasing a Model Y and would like to put Menox controls in it which should be virtually identical to mounting them in the Model 3. Do you have any photos of your Menox mounted controls in your Model 3 or have any tips regarding installation. We are now living in Southern California and the main US distributor for the Menox, Driving Systems Inc. (DSI), is located in Van Nuys, CA. Thanks

I’m a paraplegic and have used Monarch hand controls for 30 years. Monarch has installation brackets for the Model 3 and I had them installed on my Model 3 in September of last year.

The installation was no different than on any other car with the exception of the installer not wanting to disconnect power to the adjustable steering column motor. He was afraid that it might cause errors and problems in the electrical/software systems of the Tesla.

I have always had that motor disconnected on previous cars to prevent someone from adjusting the steering wheel and messing up the hand control installation.

Here’s a photo of the controls installed.

E8934A11-1F91-46F7-A577-C98A649129EB.jpeg