Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions I have not seen answered, but maybe I just missed them:

1. How do you open the frunk? Do you have to open the car and get to the main screen? Or is there now an exterior frunk button that is also proximity unlocked?

2. Why does the base model charge at only 32A? Technical reason or to differentiate S and 3?

Two questions I have not seen answered, but maybe I just missed them:

1. How do you open the frunk? Do you have to open the car and get to the main screen? Or is there now an exterior frunk button that is also proximity unlocked?

2. Why does the base model charge at only 32A? Technical reason or to differentiate S and 3?

1) Probably only the phone app and the touchscreen for now. No reason that apple watch and other wearables can't include trunk functions.

2) 32A because that is good enough for 99% of buyers. You know superchargers don't use the internal charger, right?

Phone as key fob replacement would not be inconvenient if car functionality would show on the phone lock screen.

As long as the app doesn't have to connect to the car to open the frunk I don't mind no fob. It's not 100% as convenient as a fob, but close.

Charging over night at 32A is fine. But for destination charging, even though it may rarely matter, I'll take every amp I can get for the times it does. I just presumed the 3 would have the usual 48 that the S and X now have so that they only had to make/install one version of onboard charger.

Charging over night at 32A is fine. But for destination charging, even though it may rarely matter, I'll take every amp I can get for the times it does.

The app will need to connect to the car, but not the network. I think Tesla may be willing to make this functionality a bit inconvenient for now to position for changing technology. EV buyers are still early adopters.

Do destination chargers ever have more than 30A? If I'm setting one up and paying for the electricity I'm not giving out 50A for free.

I suspect Tesla has a contract minimum amperage for free destination chargers and that is where they are set by the facility owner.

I'm sure tesla has a path for future 64A in the M3.

haven't seen how windows and hazard lights and seat position are controlled. Have those also been moved to the touchscreen or have they kept physical buttons?

Hazard lights are required to be a physical button. I think the button is on the roof above the rear view mirror.

Seats I have no idea, windows at least in the back have buttons to move the up/down.

My WAG: battery-module-integrated charger.
More modules, higher charging rate.

I doubt it. Elon told at least one reported that there are only 3 modules in the long range version. So that would mean each module is handling 13.3 amps. Standard range version should only have 2 modules which would mean a charge rate of 26.6 amps.

But it is highly unlikely that they would duplicate the charger in each module as that would add weight, complexity, and cost. Three things they are trying to avoid with the Model 3.

I haven't seen how windows and hazard lights and seat position are controlled. Have those also been moved to the touchscreen or have they kept physical buttons?
Seats I have no idea, windows at least in the back have buttons to move the up/down.

Seats were controlled with buttons on the side of the seat, just like S/X. I know because Quasimodo rode in the car before I did and I had to adjust the heck out of it to be able to see out of the car...

Reactions: F_T_K and MP3Mike
I swear that one of the drivers said that there were wiper controls on the turn signal stalk.

I sure hope so, more than once I have been splashed by the car next to me and had to throw myself on the wiper stalk to see anything. It would suck to have to chase down a button behind a setting someplace in the situation.

However, when I played with the screen, it was a button that started the wiper... Not to contradict you, I hope you're right.

I sure hope so, more than once I have been splashed by the car next to me and had to throw myself on the wiper stalk to see anything. It would suck to have to chase down a button behind a setting someplace in the situation.

However, when I played with the screen, it was a button that started the wiper... Not to contradict you, I hope you're right.
I agree, having to chase down a menu option to turn them on or to switch speeds would be really inconvenient. Wipers are one of those things you should be able to do just by feel, without having to take your eyes off of the road.

I did notice that the Tesla site does say "Voice activated controls", if that extends to wipers and other things that would be much more convenient, assuming they work properly.

Automated vents are interesting. There is one definite upside for me personally that I could picture. My wife has a tendency to get in the car and direct every vent away from her and closed if possible. When I drive the car later, I wonder why I'm sweating and realize the vents aren't directed at me. So I have a tendency to direct them back at me.. and she has to deal with that when she gets in. If they could tie the vent settings to driver profiles, that would be pretty neat and would solve our specific issue.

Can you point to one? I haven't seen anybody claim to have actually used a phone to verify how it works.

Driving Tesla’s Model 3 Changes Everything

The car doesn't have a key, or a key fob. Instead it syncs to your phone through a bluetooth connection and will automatically unlock as you approach. The backup in case your phone dies or you need to hand it off to a valet is a thin key card that you can keep in your wallet. Swipe it on the car's B pillar to unlock it, and place it on the center console to turn the car on.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Charging over night at 32A is fine. But for destination charging, even though it may rarely matter, I'll take every amp I can get for the times it does. I just presumed the 3 would have the usual 48 that the S and X now have so that they only had to make/install one version of onboard charger.

I'm more curious about why the base model has a 32 amp when the big battery has 40. That's pretty limiting on an already small battery. It's as though they don't want to sell the base model.

The app will need to connect to the car, but not the network. I think Tesla may be willing to make this functionality a bit inconvenient for now to position for changing technology. EV buyers are still early adopters.

Do destination chargers ever have more than 30A? If I'm setting one up and paying for the electricity I'm not giving out 50A for free.

I suspect Tesla has a contract minimum amperage for free destination chargers and that is where they are set by the facility owner.

I'm sure tesla has a path for future 64A in the M3.

I've stayed at 2 hotels with 72A capability Tesla charger. But agree an overnight does not require it. Another restaurant visit had 72A, that was welcome for a short visit.

• Informative
Reactions: electracity