Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm more curious about why the base model has a 32 amp when the big battery has 40. That's pretty limiting on an already small battery. It's as though they don't want to sell the base model.
My WAG: 35k car is a loss leader, with either no margin or small loss. Every penny counts, and yes... they want there to be reasons to buy the upgrades. Nonetheless, I usually charge my S on 32 and it is more than sufficient for overnight charging.

I've stayed at 2 hotels with 72A capability Tesla charger. But agree an overnight does not require it. Another restaurant visit had 72A, that was welcome for a short visit.

If a restaurant runs a charger at 72A I suspect it is primary intended for the business owner's Tesla. There is probably no business case for doing it.

Still nice to have, regardless of the reason.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
If a restaurant runs a charger at 72A I suspect it is primary intended for the business owner's Tesla. There is probably no business case for doing it.

It's the hotel/restaurant in Jamestown, CA, and the owner is really nice and welcomed dog & I. He's not an owner (yet), though dogs are his specialty.
He told me Tesla approached him & installed the charger for free about 2yrs ago. And that, (thru TESLARATI) has brought him some welcome biz......

• Informative
Reactions: electracity

There's a huge value in 72a chargers for travel, particularly at restaurants and hotels. At hotels, you can get full charge in a short night. At restaurants, you can top off to skip a supercharger. Most restaurants at supercharger store are fast food. A decent restaurant with charger, great. No business case with S volumes..... but with 3?

Last edited:
There's a huge value in 72a chargers for travel, particularly at restaurants and hotels. At hotels, you can get full charge in a short night. At restaurants, you can top off to skip a supercharger. Most restaurants at supercharger store are fast food. A decent restaurant with charger, great. No business case with S volumes..... but with 3?
Also, at a B&B or the like, more that one person can charge in a short time (one evening?) if the HPWC is an 80 or 72 and the cars have 72 Amp chargers... it's about the main case for the 'large' charger.

I don't follow destination chargers that closely, but I was under the impression that ever since the new wall connector came out, the standard practice is to install 2-4 chargers sharing a 100A circuit (assuming the host location has room for that large of a circuit). And really, as a host location, what do you care how fast the electricity you're paying for is, vs. how much? Yes, yes, there are differences because someone may not stay long enough to get a full charge at a restaurant, but they will at a hotel. So 50kWh of energy is 50kWh of energy. Yes, yes, there are different efficiencies at different charge rates, but they're fairly minor. And a Model 3 charging at 32A on a 100A circuit will definitely have far less loss due to voltage drop. Finally, as @tomas said, if your charge isn't fast enough to be a suitable destination for a meal, then it's opportunity cost, not the cost of electricity, that you care about.

Do you think those 30 people are still in position of their model 3 or was it just a show and all these 30 cars are back in factory because they are not quite ready? Why have the next batch of people have to wait a few months before they get their cars

I expect that most of them are using their new Model 3s as we would hope they would. Sure the first ones off the line might have higher than usual "new car" problems, but they are in a good position to have anything looked at and studied right away.

Fingers crossed that the design and suppliers came through, and everything works well enough that production ramp up can proceed as planned.

At the delivery event, in line for Model 3 ride, I was chatting to a supplier representative who got himself to the event to see in person the vehicle that is using their new component. They all want it to be successful and will be watching and ready to make any needed adjustments. Suppliers that don't deliver acceptable components will be replaced.

Reactions: ggies07
Do you think those 30 people are still in position of their model 3 or was it just a show and all these 30 cars are back in factory because they are not quite ready? Why have the next batch of people have to wait a few months before they get their cars

I'm sure they want employees out driving. A thousand employee driving Model 3 gives a million miles per month of testing.

I can confirm that at least some employees had their cars easily more than a week BEFORE the event and were out driving before the cars were *delivered* to them. So the only *show* was the formality of handing the cars to their *new* owners.

The event was scheduled, the cars were done ... Like 'give me my keys, already!!'

:)

Can anyone who was at the event comment on M3 touchscreen responsive relative to MS/X? @DaveT @FlatSix911

The center floating touchscreen seemed very responsive to my touch and compared favorably with the Model S/X.
One interesting observation ... the 15" screen seemed larger that the Model S 17" due to the close proximity to the driver :cool:

IMG_6935.JPG