Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has dedicated rain sensor, a bad sign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... that pic with the charge screen has some interesting data on it:
cr473i6u445z.jpg

Given the average charge session rate of 169 miles/hr, and 21 miles gained, he's been charging for 7-8 minutes. By that point, I'd expect the average charge rate value would be dominated by the maximum power delivered over that time (somewhere in the neighborhood of 70kW), and no the initial ramp-up time (which only talks 20-30 seconds on my S).

Yet an average mileage gain of 169 mi.hr if you have an average power delivery around 70kW implies the car assumes a power usage of ~418Wh/mi.

That's obviously way too high. And given the pack SOC appears to be in the lower third, I'd not expect any significant tapering at that point.

There must have been some reason for a slow ramp up...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: IdaX and hockeythug
Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos
Just saw that model 3 has a dedicated rain sensor by the front AP cameras. Doesn't bold well for those of us with model S and X now. Don't think auto wipers will ever come for AP2. Do we think Tesla will do a retrofit to give us that promised feature if it needs extra hardware?
My late 2013 Model S has a dedicated rain sensor for the wipers. Your post implies that the current S/X do not have a dedicated rain sensor. I wasn't aware of that.

Of course auto wipers will come for EAP cars. It's just proving to be a harder problem than Tesla orginally anticipated.

View attachment 232326

Given the average charge session rate of 169 miles/hr, and 21 miles gained, he's been charging for 7-8 minutes. By that point, I'd expect the average charge rate value would be dominated by the maximum power delivered over that time (somewhere in the neighborhood of 70kW), and no the initial ramp-up time (which only talks 20-30 seconds on my S).

Yet an average mileage gain of 169 mi.hr if you have an average power delivery around 70kW implies the car assumes a power usage of ~418Wh/mi.

That's obviously way too high. And given the pack SOC appears to be in the lower third, I'd not expect any significant tapering at that point.

If he's charging in California then I'd say that's the new "normal" rate
I haven't been able to charge at more than 70kw for a while now.

View attachment 232326

In the original report from the person who took the pictures, the photographer was charging on the same paired supercharger and was pulling in 110kw. So the M3 was limited by the paired vehicle

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Adrien
My late 2013 Model S has a dedicated rain sensor for the wipers. Your post implies that the current S/X do not have a dedicated rain sensor. I wasn't aware of that.

Of course auto wipers will come for EAP cars. It's just proving to be a harder problem than Tesla orginally anticipated.

I don't see this as a bad sign.

You are dreaming if you think they will recall all AP2 cars and give them rain sensors. They will find some crappy way to give us some functionality even if its not good to say they gave us the option they promised.

I just did a check of my AP2 car and it turns out it does have a similar sensor. I never noticed it in six months of ownership. I just went out and when I hold the camera at the right angle, I can see the sensor is there.

Last edited:
AP2 cars don't have a dedicated sensor.

I don't see this as a bad sign. If a dedicated sensor is required, then I'm sure they would retrofit all AP2 cars to have the necessary sensor.

You are dreaming if you think they will recall all AP2 cars and give them rain sensors. They will find some crappy way to give us some functionality even if its not good to say they gave us the option they promised.

Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

Just saw that model 3 has a dedicated rain sensor by the front AP cameras. Doesn't bold well for those of us with model S and X now. Don't think auto wipers will ever come for AP2. Do we think Tesla will do a retrofit to give us that promised feature if it needs extra hardware?
If it makes you feel any better, the AP1 automatic wipers are nearly useless. Seriously I wish I didn't have them.

I don't see this as a bad sign.

I just did a check of my AP2 car and it turns out it does have a similar sensor. I never noticed it in six months of ownership. I just went out and when I hold the camera at the right angle, I can see the sensor is there.

Sorry about the glare, @BestRadar, but here's a picture of the sensor on my AP2 car. I guess no retrofit needed. :)
sensor.jpg

If he's charging in California then I'd say that's the new "normal" rate
I haven't been able to charge at more than 70kw for a while now.

Just charged last night in Gilroy and highest rate we saw was 99kW, not shared. Believe people using some of the newly installed chargers there said they were charging over 100kW so I think as they've expanded things have gotten better...at least in the area we frequent.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd