Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing my setup for carrying a full diameter spare tire with me (T135-80-R18 104H).
The holes on the sides of the upper structural beam of the trunk are used to hook straps
to hold the tire up so that I still have access to most of the trunk and the lower compartment.

Did you tried also to put the spare horizontally under the speaker shelf?

Doing so, you can still put some long items when folding the back seat, but the cleareance is only 12" instead of 18".

2-20200112_211350_hdr-jpg.499498

Note: It's a pitty that there is a beam in the middle of the trunk, otherwise it would have been easier to put a tire flat on the bottom of the trunk.

bpa4rj5yskodvu7st9qpza-jpg.460308

Note: Note: I plan to remove the inside liner and lower the lower trunk well cover,
and put some insulation directly on the metal, so I could get an extra 3" height of storage.

(see the location used by the un-inflated spare tire on the picture below)

y-mgigwvsgu6tvo-kp90ha-jpg.460309

screen-shot-2019-09-23-at-11-25-37-am-png.458201

I winder if the Model Y would have a better design, or if the third row will take most of the available space?

Note: Since the Model Y has a hatch, the only possibility to carry a spare will be to put it flat on the floor,
or to put the tire vertically on one side of the trunk.

img_3572-jpeg.457924

Last edited:
On the plus side at least you can catch up on some Netflix now.

All kidding aside. That situation really sucks. I dread the day that I run into that problem. I was debating buying a spare tire but haven't yet. I do have that foam stuff you put in the tire though.

: Note: I plan to remove the inside liner and lower the lower trunk well cover,
and put some insulation directly on the metal, so I could get an extra 3" height of storage.
It's really not as much extra storage as you might think. That hump between the beam and the rear seats is almost as high as the beam. It annoys me that they didn't make the pit or frunk big enough for a spare. I doubt the Model Y will be any better. Maybe the 3rd row seat option will mean there is a good spot upright behind the rear seats...

There are places in CA that are 200 miles from a service center. Get an unrepairable flat there and you're going to have a bad day or most likely a couple bad days. I guess, like many things in life, it matters how lucky you are!

This is the bigger issue than not having a spare. It's fine not having a spare but we need to have much, much faster response for roadside assistance.

So far my impression of Tesla assistance outside of selling a car is that they don’t care. They treat car servicing like Apple treats phone servicing. This issue with Tesla roadside assistance doesn’t surprise me at all given the fact that you can’t talk to someone about your car when it’s in need of repair.

A lately I’ve been very put off by Tesla and stories like this don’t help. The Company seems to have no direction.

Count me among the ones that have never used/needed a spare in my roughly 30 years of driving. Only had one flat and luckily I had a run-flat that one time.
By contrast, I had two punctures last year alone (one finishing nail, one screw). I was fortunate that both were slow leaks so no need for a spare. Pumped them up enough to get home and plugged them in the relative comfort of my garage. Both plugs still going strong after many thousands of miles.

Takes a lot of strength to plug a tire, especially while on the car (rear wheel is difficult), so it isn't for everyone.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freakin car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.

Self sealing and Extended Mobility tires are often a good choice today. Nornally if my cars don't come with spares or EMT's, I put them on soon after buying. Because you are right, flats are no fun.

Footnote: Eco rated tires are often poorly armored. You trade rolling resistance for ply strength. Even up rating your tires to a higher load rating can make them more puncture-safe. Even if you do get a nail, a stronger tire will seal the nail better.

By contrast, I had two punctures last year alone (one finishing nail, one screw). I was fortunate that both were slow leaks so no need for a spare. Pumped them up enough to get home and plugged them in the relative comfort of my garage. Both plugs still going strong after many thousands of miles.

Takes a lot of strength to plug a tire, especially while on the car (rear wheel is difficult), so it isn't for everyone.

Tip from a Crazy person. Use your floor jack as a force multiplier. Raise the wheel up high (still on car), put down a non-skid floor (like a floormat, etc). Lubricate the plug with rubber cement. Get plug tool started. Rotate tire so tool is at 6 o'clock. GENTLY lower the jack. Now it will go through even truck tires.

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Self sealing and Extended Mobility tires are often a good choice today. Nornally if my cars don't come with spares or EMT's, I put them on soon after buying. Because you are right, flats are no fun.

Footnote: Eco rated tires are often poorly armored. You trade rolling resistance for ply strength. Even up rating your tires to a higher load rating can make them more puncture-safe. Even if you do get a nail, a stronger tire will seal the nail better.

run flat tires make for an awful ride experience... just look at the reviews of run flats vs. comparable "normal" tires. VERY stiff sidewalls and a lot of road noise.

You’re not puncturing through, but twisting clockwise, makes it easier to go right in by using the rubber cement as lube. the Flat Tire plug kit has a needle nose plier to pull the nail out, a reeming tool to open and clean up the hole, thread the cord/plug in the threading tool and run some rubber cement on it, it should slide right in by twisting, once in, pull the cord back out and cut. That’s how I have done it.

Fred

How about the simple approach: Get a spare OEM wheel and OEM tire and stick it in the trunk. For most uses, this will be fine. I have never really had much use for a trunk in 30 years (I don't do overnight road trips). But who wants to drive 60-70 miles from home and get a flat tire?

Does Tesla sell one (OEM aero, and OEM Michelin tire)? That's the big "if"! Stick it in a garbage bag - get Styrofoam chunks to hold it in place if you want. If you need a short haul using your trunk, leave the spare at home.

You don't need a jack, wrench, etc. as Tesla roadside or AAA will take care of that for you. But chances are you will not find an OEM tire in a local tire shop - even for an 18" wheel. Whole cost should be $300-$400 for wheel and another $200 for tire. If you have a flat, have the wheel changed and just keep the spare on - using the repaired or replaced old tire as a spare.

Sh1t happens when you least expect it. Take a load off if you can and don't worry about a spare.

Reactions: Miztawizord
Do you know the approximate weight of the modern spare ?

Why doesn't Tesla sell one? I've got their slime kit, but that really is not a preferable alternative.

OK ... What is a good modern spare tire (w/a minimum 50 mi range), suitable lightweight rim for Tesla Mod 3, and a reasonable jack and lug wrench. All that certainly couldn't weigh more than 50 lbs.

I've had a blown sidewall on Hwy 101 south of Ferndale and there was no cell service with AT&T and never saw a CHP either. Luckily I had a spare tire....

Well, we add a jack and wrench. If Tesla wants to be tight wad cheap (aka frunk hooks) then they can sell these things. It's unbelievable after a 1/2 mil Model 3's that this doesn't exist from Tesla.

Reactions: TunaBug
We need crowd sourced spare tires. If just 1% of Teslas had spare tires they could deliver spare tires quickly to stranded owners for a fee. I would happily pay a few hundred dollars to have a spare tire delivered in 30 minutes or less. This is sort of a joke but when you think about it it does seem like this should be a solvable problem. It's inefficient to carry around a spare all the time but it's unacceptable to be without a car for multiple days due to a flat tire.

We need crowd sourced spare tires. If just 1% of Teslas had spare tires they could deliver spare tires quickly to stranded owners for a fee. I would happily pay a few hundred dollars to have a spare tire delivered in 30 minutes or less. This is sort of a joke but when you think about it it does seem like this should be a solvable problem. It's inefficient to carry around a spare all the time but it's unacceptable to be without a car for multiple days due to a flat tire.

How much range do you think people would lose carrying a spare tire? I bet 99% of the time, no one keeps stuff in their trunk that couldn't be placed elsewhere.