Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, did you get the Porsche jack because the one they supplied was cheezy? Or is it just better? I have a set of pucks "just in case" - and I leave them in the lower compartment. Thanks.

There are a lot of posts in this thread, but it's a good read on why people are purchasing the Porsche jack. I followed @mswlogo and purchased one. It's light, sturdy and works well.

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

Reactions: mswlogo
It’s either getting a spare tire and changing it yourself or dealing w Tesla’s absolutely miserable roadside service. I was in the middle of a major city and it took them 3 and a half hours to get to me. And then they tell me they couldn’t find a loaner tire so they have to find a flatbed truck and tow the car over night. All for a flat tire . I’m buying a spare tire and next time changing it myself in 20 minutes no matter what the price point of the car is.

Another alternative is to phone a wrecker yourself. In a big city like L.A. you might be able to find one that can come out more quickly. My regular car insurance contains a line for roadside service. It's just $3 or $4 IIRC. I can call for help, pay cash, and then file for reimbursement. Even if I didn't have insurance, I'd rather pay for a tow that could arrive in an hour than wait for a free one that takes three hours.

The last time I had a flat was in the Prius about a decade ago. The lug nuts were on so tight I could not budge them. I had no cell service as I was far from town. Fortunately a good samaritan stopped.

Flats were common when I started driving. They're far less common these days as tires are so much better.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
How about the simple approach: Get a spare OEM wheel and OEM tire and stick it in the trunk. For most uses, this will be fine. I have never really had much use for a trunk in 30 years (I don't do overnight road trips). But who wants to drive 60-70 miles from home and get a flat tire?

Does Tesla sell one (OEM aero, and OEM Michelin tire)? That's the big "if"! Stick it in a garbage bag - get Styrofoam chunks to hold it in place if you want. If you need a short haul using your trunk, leave the spare at home.

You don't need a jack, wrench, etc. as Tesla roadside or AAA will take care of that for you. But chances are you will not find an OEM tire in a local tire shop - even for an 18" wheel. Whole cost should be $300-$400 for wheel and another $200 for tire. If you have a flat, have the wheel changed and just keep the spare on - using the repaired or replaced old tire as a spare.

Sh1t happens when you least expect it. Take a load off if you can and don't worry about a spare.

I sold my 18" stock wheels with tires for $800 on CL when I upgraded my setup. Try CL and you should easily be able to find a single one as a spare for roughly $200 or less.

The tire they supply is rated for 80 MPH and should be good for several hundred miles. The jack that came with the tire is reasonable and heavy duty, but the Porsche one is half the weight and nicely made. The locating pin is a bonus. View attachment 502710

Can you let us know if that jack says "safe working load" of 900 or 1000 kgs?

If you can take a pic of the model number it would really be helpful. I found a similar jack to yours but just wanted to double check.

Thank you in advance.

Can you let us know if that jack says "safe working load" of 900 or 1000 kgs?

If you can take a pic of the model number it would really be helpful. I found a similar jack to yours but just wanted to double check.

Thank you in advance.

I decided to go with the "Modern Spare" - it will supposedly arrive tomorrow (Thursday). I'll look at the jack if no one has reported back by then.

I like the "single package" idea with Modern Spare. It's all in the bag - can leave it home or take it with me. I don't do road trips and have no kids - so the trunk is rarely used in our cars.

It may be 2020 - but I still think a spare is a necessary item - even if it's an optional decision like Modern spare. I have had so many tires get punctured in my life - actually more common in the last 20 years. Most punctures are slow leakers and it's not hard to deal with it - but some are not. If Tesla roadside service was speedy all the time, I would not be as concerned. But the reports of their slowness is not helpful. While AAA can tow a Tesla too, I'd rather have a spare on board.

Reactions: Andy7 and house9
15797544781601272929372191046012.jpg
Here's the label on my Porsche jack. Safe working load 900kg.

Reactions: Andy7
View attachment 503366
Here's the label on my Porsche jack. Safe working load 900kg.

Wow! That's a Porsche 944 jack?! What a blast from the past. I guess "944" would help pick one out for sale somewhere. I've looked at other Porsche jacks and they have an oval protrusion, not a circular one like you show or that the Model 3 needs.

When I met my wife in the late 80's she had a '87 944. Always in the shop and she got rid of it quickly.

If I had a spare, I wouldn't need AAA, as I could change the tire myself. AAA can tow me to a shop or to a service center.

I felt like having peace of mind - especially with the towing requirements of a Model 3. So I got the "Modern Spare". It takes up a big chunk for the trunk, but I never use the trunk for much. And I have the 18" wheels on my Model 3. If I had the 20's - I would really get nervous about a flat.

Flats are usually fixable, but there is often no place that will fix your flat ASAP. They don't make much money and would rather you wait.

AAA Plus will tow your car on a flatbed for 100 miles 4 times each year. So if you cannot change your tire you can at least get your car to a safe place. I think AAA will only tow to a patch repair location and not do it on the roadside.

Second plan would be to buy a 5th tire and wheel from Tesla, or if you have custom rims and tires buy 5 of them and do a 5 tire rotation keeping your 5th at home as a spare as needed. Your tires will last longer too!

Our other car is a 9 your old ICE so we have the AAA Plus. Of course its good for my Tesla as well.