Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has only seven Autopilot cameras?! (vs. eight)

"Seven cameras" is

• Cost-cutting on the Model 3

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Typo on the Monroney Sticker

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
c068f2c4890948e21139e4d8f94bcbf35174439d55645ae334a66b025de48c88.jpg
well that's insulting. but......onward we go.

I would think the back-up camera would be unreliable for AP use due to the road dirt accumulation on rear end. I know in rainy freeway driving the camera lens would be obscured in short order.
^ The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. BTW snow is an even bigger problem in some areas (mine), and a small heated ring around the lens will not do. I know for a fact because I have a non-facelifted AP1 car with a radar that’s got a built-in, quite serious heat shield in front of it (this thing gets warm!), and it only melts like a millimeter of snow. The area around the BUC gets hit alot harder than the fwd radar in a lot of winter conditions - I’m talking 5 or more centimetres of snow build up in front of the whole licence plate and trunk handle area. No chance in hell the BUC heating element could deal with that

.1 is the subwoofer. Its not considered a speaker to hear....but to feel. lol

9 cameras total ( or 8.1 depending on how you consider the inside camera looking at the driver ).

3 behind rearview mirror
View attachment 256877
2 on front quarter panel
View attachment 256878
2 on b-pillar
View attachment 256881
1 backup camera
View attachment 256880
1 inside ( not used yet ) looking at the driver.
View attachment 256879

Why did you resurrect the last post, by you no less, from 52 days ago? The thread died For a reason back then.

.1 is the subwoofer. Its not considered a speaker to hear....but to feel. lol

9 cameras total ( or 8.1 depending on how you consider the inside camera looking at the driver ).

3 behind rearview mirror
View attachment 256877
2 on front quarter panel
View attachment 256878
2 on b-pillar
View attachment 256881
1 backup camera
View attachment 256880
1 inside ( not used yet ) looking at the driver.
View attachment 256879

Ok what am I missing? If you look at the image of "3 behind rearview mirror" it looks like 4. 3 forward facing and one facing upwards.

I don't really understand the point of the rear backup camera as a part of the sensor suite… What's going on directly behind you is rarely of concern in traffic and rarely something you can control either (sure, if you want some sort of fancy rear-end-avoidance maneuvering support)

It's possibly more useful for the purpose of autoparking the car but I have a feeling they can make do with the side repeater cameras.

I can see some useful applications or rear sensors. If the computer thinks you're about to be rear ended it can accelerate and dodge the collision.

It's importance is not so the car can dodge a car. If a car senses a collision coming from somewhere, including the back, it can prime the brakes, pretension seatbelts, etc. A lot of other car manufacturers have this tech already. That, plus it being required equipment, means that "it just wasn't counted as it's standard safety equipment on all new cars now" makes the most sense for not having the "right" amount of cameras listed.