Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Headlight protection film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I just received the new model 3, very excited. I'd like to keep the headlight clear. Is some kind of protection films recommended on the headlight? Something like this: Headlight and Foglight Protection - PPF for Model 3 / Y.

Also I wonder how expensive it will be to replace the headlight covers if they do get damaged/yellow/cloudy. Is it even possible to replace just the plastic cover, not the entire headlight assembly? Has anyone had experience with that?

Thanks so much!

Why not head over to a reputable tint and ppf (paint protection film) shop and get a quote to have ppf applied to your headlights? Heck do the whole front bumper, side mirrors, and rocker panels while you are at it.

I have a full body ppf wrap and yes the headlights have ppf on them.

Hello. I just received the new model 3, very excited. I'd like to keep the headlight clear. Is some kind of protection films recommended on the headlight? Something like this: Headlight and Foglight Protection - PPF for Model 3 / Y.

Also I wonder how expensive it will be to replace the headlight covers if they do get damaged/yellow/cloudy. Is it even possible to replace just the plastic cover, not the entire headlight assembly? Has anyone had experience with that?

Thanks so much!

Replacement will involve the entire assembly so it's good you're thinking of protection now. PPF can help with chipping from flying debris also. Headlights usually come from the factory with a clear coat that helps protect against uv. Over time it will wear away and that's when you see yellowing of the surface plastic occur. I don't think I've seen any model 3s with yellowed headlights...then again it hasn't been that long since they've been out.

I installed PPF on my headlights within a month or two of getting my Model 3 in early 2018. I've had mostly older vehicles and know how the headlight lenses get damage from road debris and get yellow over time. I'm glad that I got the PPF because in the winter I need to scrape off frost and snow from the headlights too. They don't get hot enough even after 3 hours of driving to melt ice buildup on them. I use the sleeves of my hoodie or jacket to scrub the cold stuff off my headlights before I start driving.

I got my PPF pre-cut from one of the online Tesla accessories businesses, but I do recommend the TesBros kits because they have very helpful installation videos.

I've always bought headlight film for my new vehicles, even before paint protection film (PPF) was popular and way before ceramic was even a thing. Even with halogen headlights, the thicker X-Pel film handled the heat just fine. HIDs run cooler, and LEDs don't produce heat at the lens and this is a known issue since 2007 when they first came out on the Toyota Prius and Audi R8, as well as some military applications. LEDs produce heat at the emitter rear portion) so some OEMs experimented with fans to circulate heat but headlight washers are about the only real way to clear off snow/ice buildup with LED headlights.

The question is are there any brands of headlight film recommended for the Model 3? I see Weathertech has their Lampgard, and I *believe* in the past it was just made by X-Pel under the Weathertech Lampgard brand. Lamin-X in the past never fit properly/poorly cut and was too thin.

How about 3M Pro series? I also had headlight film in my 12yr old SUV and the headlights looks almost brand new with zero scratches. Too bad I forgot which brand of film I purchased. I believe it was either Lamin-X or 3M, they have been around the longest.