Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 headlights too bright ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a Model 3 SR+. I love the features and how it drives, but I'm having an issue with the headlights. They are very bright relative to my last car - so bright that they give me a headache when I'm driving.

Is there any way to dim the main head lights (without resorting to using parking lights, which are too dim)?

If not, does anyone know if applying a headlight film/tint would be a good solution? It could also be the color temperature which is bothering me - M3 lights are bright white, whereas my last car's headlights had a bit of a yellowish hue.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

You get a headache from the headlights? How is that even possible? Are you squatting in front of the car? Weird.

I recently purchased a Model 3 SR+. I love the features and how it drives, but I'm having an issue with the headlights. They are very bright relative to my last car - so bright that they give me a headache when I'm driving.

Is there any way to dim the main head lights (without resorting to using parking lights, which are too dim)?

If not, does anyone know if applying a headlight film/tint would be a good solution? It could also be the color temperature which is bothering me - M3 lights are bright white, whereas my last car's headlights had a bit of a yellowish hue.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.
Take it to a PPF shop and ask them if they have any tinted PPF to protect the headlights.

Wow, I can't believe someone is actually complaining about the lights actually being effective. What did OP want to do, retrofit some 500 lumen halogen bulbs? This must OP's first car with LED headlights hahah.

But seriously, if it bothers you this much, get the front windshield tinted with a high quality ceramic tint like 3M Crystalline or XPel XR Plus in in a 70% shade.

Reactions: KenC
Halogen bulbs should be deemed inadequate and banned from modern cars. Nothing that is coming off the production line in 2019 or 2020 should be using a halogen headlamp. This isn't the dark ages...geezus

The model 3 headlights are so good that they make me hate my other cars headlights.

I actually didn't like the headlights in the Model 3 to be honest; they're pretty good, but I'm also comparing them against my truck that's throwing 7600 lumens significantly farther down the road (yes, I'm that dude with the truck who can illuminate half the freeway if he wants to... I drive long hours at night sometimes in my truck during winter)

Halogen bulbs should be deemed inadequate and banned from modern cars. Nothing that is coming off the production line in 2019 or 2020 should be using a halogen headlamp. This isn't the dark ages...geezus

You realize halogen are much less expensive to produce? If someone is on a budget and buying a budget friendly car they want to spend as little money as possible. There are many decent halogen based systems out there. The Mazda halogen projectors work really well.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3FNATIK
I actually didn't like the headlights in the Model 3 to be honest; they're pretty good, but I'm also comparing them against my truck that's throwing 7600 lumens significantly farther down the road (yes, I'm that dude with the truck who can illuminate half the freeway if he wants to... I drive long hours at night sometimes in my truck during winter)

Agreed, the model 3 headlights are just average. There are many hid based systems out there that are significantly better. Wider, brighter, and they throw light much further. Led still has a ways to go.

Agreed, the model 3 headlights are just average. There are many hid based systems out there that are significantly better. Wider, brighter, and they throw light much further. Led still has a ways to go.

Wow, LED systems are superior to HID. Where are you getting these crazy ideas that HIDs are better? Do you even understand how LED based headlight systems work? Stop spreading misinformation.

LED systems use multiple LED arrays within one headlamp to focus light in a more precisely controlled way to project light onto the road without creating glare. LEDs also can get brighter than HIDs. Advanced LED systems can even creat light tunnels and or light up specific areas of the road at off angles.

HIDs use one xenon bulb per headlight projector system and a basic glare shield to create a rough cutoff that projects light broadly across the road. The only tthing it can do to adjust the beam is level it for load of the car. It was great technology 20-30 years ago hahah. Where have you been? The only thing holding LED based lights back is outdated DOT regulations. I've coded my BMW LED headlights with European programing and they are amazing. The Model 3 headlights are very good despite being hampered by the outdated regulations.

High end manufactures have even moved onto next gen technology in Laser headlights. But maybe you should catch-up to LED lights before you even start considering the advantages of those.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
You realize halogen are much less expensive to produce? If someone is on a budget and buying a budget friendly car they want to spend as little money as possible. There are many decent halogen based systems out there. The Mazda halogen projectors work really well.

You realize rear view mirrors are cheap and turning around your neck is free when backing up your car? But a backup camera and sensor system is superior in preventing accidents like running over a pedestrian or hitting a passing car, yet unless there was a law that required it to be standard equipment due to safety reasons, auto manufactures would probably just make them optional since it's cheaper or more profitable. When superior equipment that enhances safety is available, manufactures don't always do the right thing, but rather do the most profitable thing. That's why laws and regulations exist. Same goes for haolgen headlights. Yes they are lower in cost to produce, but they are barely adequate and their light output degrades over time resulting in people not being able to see well or drive at high speeds at night.

When I was upgrading the lights on my truck, it was literally night and day difference... the old halogens even the expensive ones with name brands that cost over $100/pair; were garbage light output wise compared to newer LEDs. I can't believe that the truck came stock with bulbs that while consuming 55 watts only put out 1,000 lumens...

The replacements uses less power (40w) but are LED and produce almost 4x the light.

upload_2019-12-5_10-42-9.png

You don't realize how big of a deal headlights are if you never drive deserted stretches of highway at night... I used to work night and swing shift and driving in the dark with bad lighting is stressful and physically exhausting.

With proper lighting upgrades, night driving doesn't have to be so dangerous or stressful.

Best lights I ever had were Xenons, on a 2005 Honda (though the Model run started from 1999). Way brighter than my 2016 BMW LEDs. And Many BMW owners claim the Xenon lamps on older models were slightly brighter than the later/current LED counterparts.

Though more than lamp style, the best thing for illumination is matrix technology - for the headlights to be on full blast, but carve out a portion of the beam against cars that are incoming or ahead. It's amazing stuff, and can only be achieved with LED or Laser array, but not with Xenon (which is a bulb). Along the fact that Xenons dont last as long and is more power hungry is why theyve fallen out of favor.

You realize rear view mirrors are cheap and turning around your neck is free when backing up your car? But a backup camera and sensor system is superior in preventing accidents like running over a pedestrian or hitting a passing car, yet unless there was a law that required it to be standard equipment due to safety reasons, auto manufactures would probably just make them optional since it's cheaper or more profitable. When superior equipment that enhances safety is available, manufactures don't always do the right thing, but rather do the most profitable thing. That's why laws and regulations exist. Same goes for haolgen headlights. Yes they are lower in cost to produce, but they are barely adequate and their light output degrades over time resulting in people not being able to see well or drive at high speeds at night.

Headlights need to meet DOT safety standards and halogen ones do. Im not disagreeing that hid or led is better, but it doesnt make financial sense. Lane keeping, auto cruise control, air ride suspension, aluminum frames, wider wheels and tires, all wheel drive all make cars safer. Then every car on the road can cost $50k. Where are you going to draw the line? The numbers dont work bro.

Also HID bulbs lose lumens as the bulb ages ;)

Last edited:
Best lights I ever had were Xenons, on a 2005 Honda (though the Model run started from 1999). Way brighter than my 2016 BMW LEDs. And Many BMW owners claim the Xenon lamps on older models were slightly brighter than the later/current LED counterparts.

Though more than lamp style, the best thing for illumination is matrix technology - for the headlights to be on full blast, but carve out a portion of the beam against cars that are incoming or ahead. It's amazing stuff, and can only be achieved with LED or Laser array, but not with Xenon (which is a bulb). Along the fact that Xenons dont last as long and is more power hungry is why theyve fallen out of favor.

This is true b/c of the archaic DOT regs were written in 1965 and have not been updated for modern LED headlight technology. That is why I had my BMW Adaptive LED lights recoded with european programming which activates the no-glare high beams and light tunneling features that allow the headlight to cast more light wider and further down the road. When these headlights are paired with the camera system, the high beams will throw light much further down the road during fwy driving and they will also shoot light onto road signs to help illuminate them. Then when coming upon traffic, they will aim the high beams down or around cars. Its a pretty cool light show.

Check out how it works here

Here's a real world video on how they work

Headlights need to meet DOT safety standards and halogen ones do. Im not disagreeing that hid or led is better, but it doesnt make financial sense. Lane keeping, auto cruise control, air ride suspension, aluminum frames, wider wheels and tires, all wheel drive all make cars safer. Then every car on the road can cost $50k. Where are you going to draw the line? The numbers dont work bro.

Also HID bulbs lose lumens as the bulb ages ;)

I don't disagree with you here. But I disagree with the DOT not updating their standards. This is probably due to some automotive lobbying group for a manufacture that just wants to keep offering crappy headlights in their base model cars. Don't be an apologist for large corporations. They have the benefit of economy of scale and they could easily keep costs down. It's all about making easy money for these guys. That's why nothing changes and that is why I really like what Tesla is doing! They're the disrupters!

This is true b/c of the archaic DOT regs were written in 1965 and have not been updated for modern LED headlight technology. That is why I had my BMW Adaptive LED lights recoded with european programming which activates the no-glare high beams and light tunneling features that allow the headlight to cast more light wider and further down the road. When these headlights are paired with the camera system, the high beams will throw light much further down the road during fwy driving and they will also shoot light onto road signs to help illuminate them. Then when coming upon traffic, they will aim the high beams down or around cars. Its a pretty cool light show.

Check out how it works here

Here's a real world video on how they work
I have a similar system in my mercedes. I'm amazed they don't have them in the US. Its such a safety bonus to be able to keep main beams on and not dazzle other traffic. I know I'll miss these when my Model 3 arrives next week