Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 headlights too bright ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a Model 3 SR+. I love the features and how it drives, but I'm having an issue with the headlights. They are very bright relative to my last car - so bright that they give me a headache when I'm driving.

Is there any way to dim the main head lights (without resorting to using parking lights, which are too dim)?

If not, does anyone know if applying a headlight film/tint would be a good solution? It could also be the color temperature which is bothering me - M3 lights are bright white, whereas my last car's headlights had a bit of a yellowish hue.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

No there isnt a way to dim them. Lighting code is very strict. Are they aimed correctly? If too low they will put a lot of light on the foreground. I dont find them any more bright than the other cars ive driven with hid or led.

Are they the first car with LED lights? LED is pulsed and not continuous.

My guess is, you’ll get used to them.

FSD feature complete by end of year, so you’ll be able to drive with eyes closed soon enough.

BTW, make sure your windshield is clean, inside and out. Tesla’s have been know you ship with scum on them. They can look clean in some situations buy they are not. I had to resort to polishing mine. If not clean they can cause yours to work harder than they need to.

Reactions: CaptainSlooow
I don't think TM3 LED headlights are pulsed (PWM). Since they aren't ever dimmed in any way, there is no reason for that. Instead they have a constant current driver with no "pulsing".

I do find the bounceback from reflective road signs can be pretty intense myself, but I love the extremely bright headlights of the TM3.

this pulsing you guys are referring to - are you sure you don't mean the Hz refresh rates? cheaper LEDs have lower refresh rates, which are noticeable on things like smartphone cameras. the TM3's lights appear to have a higher refresh rate, so they don't appear to "pulse" when video recording them.

i've seen plenty of vehicles on the road today that either have obviously low LED refresh rates (visible in mirrors) or are JUST fast enough that only a camera captures them (like in the reverse camera).

this pulsing you guys are referring to - are you sure you don't mean the Hz refresh rates? cheaper LEDs have lower refresh rates, which are noticeable on things like smartphone cameras. the TM3's lights appear to have a higher refresh rate, so they don't appear to "pulse" when video recording them.

i've seen plenty of vehicles on the road today that either have obviously low LED refresh rates (visible in mirrors) or are JUST fast enough that only a camera captures them (like in the reverse camera).
LEDs do not "refresh". A way to reduce their apparently brightness is pulse-width modulation (PWM), which constantly switches them on and off with a duty cycle in milliseconds which is largely imperceptible. This method is commonly used for dimming because it's less expensive than voltage-based dimming. If they do not need to be dimmed, they can remain on continuously.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CaptainSlooow
Love the headlights myself. Best I've ever had on a car. No way to reduce brightness and films may create a state inspection issue. I would say you'll probably get used to it.

My only related complaint is the auto high beams and how they cycle too much for road sign light reflection. They work great for on coming traffic, but other drivers are probably wondering why my high beams are going off/on so much just due to signage.

...My only related complaint is the auto high beams and how they cycle too much for road sign light reflection. They work great for on coming traffic, but other drivers are probably wondering why my high beams are going off/on so much just due to signage.
Also noticed they don't cut to low quick enough when coming up on cars (from rear) on the interstate. Needs some "Deep Light". :D:eek:

Reactions: Sirricardo
You can apply a thin "light smoke" film to dim them about 10%, it will help with both their quality long term (preventing pitting, scratches, etc.) and will reduce the light likely enough for you without attracting attention from the cops and will likely pass inspection

Reactions: KenC