Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the model 3 is a great car and probably even a better overall package than the model S. I would probably have gone with a model 3 over an S, except it has one big flaw. I'm not sure why it isn't discussed more often, but I know others have noticed it too. I want to convince other people to get the model 3, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

The headrest is very awkward. You can't adjust it and it protrudes forward. When sitting back, it puts you out of alignment and could cause health problems down the line. It's probably not a problem for heavier people, but how do the rest of you deal with this? I can imagine long drives are not so comfortable.

Before you reply denying the problem, please take a moment to really think about it and simply look at your seat from the side and you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

Before you reply denying the problem, please take a moment to really think about it and simply look at your seat from the side and you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

"Headrest" is not the correct term, these are "head restraints". It is not a comfort feature, it is a safety feature designed to prevent or mitigate injury to your neck in the event of a collision.

Auto manufacturers to their best to meet this goal with the thought in mind of a variety of driver body types. Nothing will be perfect for everyone and perhaps your body shape/posture/preferred seating position makes the choices Tesla made uncomfortable for you. Personally, I have no complaints, having driven ~18,000 miles so far including a few 6-7 hour trips.

"Headrest" is not the correct term, these are "head restraints". It is not a comfort feature, it is a safety feature designed to prevent or mitigate injury to your neck in the event of a collision.
^This. The head restraint is intended to mitigate neck whiplash in the even of a crash if one's head is thrown backward. In fact, a head restraint is supposed to "protrude" forward for this reason. It's not supposed to be set back so it can be used like a pillow while driving.

Still, like quite a few items on the Model 3 that don't conform to standard operation (wiper controls, mirror controls, mirror-based blind spot warning) or are missing all together (garage opener, tire kit) the head restraints should be adjustable as they are on just about every other car in the same price range (and lower).

Reactions: Gasaraki
I think the model 3 is a great car and probably even a better overall package than the model S. I would probably have gone with a model 3 over an S, except it has one big flaw. I'm not sure why it isn't discussed more often, but I know others have noticed it too. I want to convince other people to get the model 3, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

The headrest is very awkward. You can't adjust it and it protrudes forward. When sitting back, it puts you out of alignment and could cause health problems down the line. It's probably not a problem for heavier people, but how do the rest of you deal with this? I can imagine long drives are not so comfortable.

Edit... should have read through the thread where a couple of other people made the same point I did Head "restraint" not "head "rest". primary purpose is not comfort but safety. I dont rest my head on it, so dont notice any issue

Reactions: Gasaraki
The OP's concern is not comfort, it is long term spine health.

Right, and for many (most?) with the seat adjusted properly and sitting with good posture the head restraint doesn't touch the head. so there is no impact on spine health (except in the case of accident, when it's there to help).

While I'm certain there ins't a one-size fits all as there are lot of body shapes, that is why my first suggestion would be to adjust the seat. The model 3 seat has a lot of adjustments and I think it's likely the OP could find one that works.

Right, and for many (most?) with the seat adjusted properly and sitting with good posture the head restraint doesn't touch the head. so there is no impact on spine health (except in the case of accident, when it's there to help).

While I'm certain there ins't a one-size fits all as there are lot of body shapes, that is why my first suggestion would be to adjust the seat. The model 3 seat has a lot of adjustments and I think it's likely the OP could find one that works.

I'm not sure how that can be accurate. If you're sitting with proper posture and your head is not touching the head 'restraint' then I don't think it's proper posture. Have someone take a sideways picture of you sitting in the car and you'll know what I mean

Here is something that can help get my point across. Just because you haven't had pain yet doesn't mean it's proper

http://blog.ekornes.com/assets/uploads/2017/10/EKOR-body-alignment-image3.jpg

http://blog.ekornes.com/assets/uploads/2017/10/EKOR-body-alignment-image1.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0903/3650/products/Pic_3_-_Proper_Alignment.jpg?v=1539693352

I simply adjusted my seat back. Problem solved.
The day we picked up the car (July 2018), my wife was in the passenger seat, and felt the head restraint was tipping her head forward. She asked the delivery dude about adjustability, and we all know the answer now. Awkward moment. We'd waited over two years for the car, and she felt she had a critical fit issue. Then she tried tipping the seat back a bit backward, and was instantly comfortable. 13 months and 22,500 miles later all is good.

I thought this was going to be about the backseat ones. They get in the way of the child seat anchor which attaches behind them. When you tighten the anchor strap the seat goes crooked because my strap is around the side of the head restraint. Front seat I have no issues and I sit upright compared to most people I think.

I'm not sure how that can be accurate. If you're sitting with proper posture and your head is not touching the head 'restraint' then I don't think it's proper posture. Have someone take a sideways picture of you sitting in the car and you'll know what I mean

Here is something that can help get my point across. Just because you haven't had pain yet doesn't mean it's proper

http://blog.ekornes.com/assets/uploads/2017/10/EKOR-body-alignment-image3.jpg

http://blog.ekornes.com/assets/uploads/2017/10/EKOR-body-alignment-image1.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0903/3650/products/Pic_3_-_Proper_Alignment.jpg?v=1539693352

Looked at your links. I think those links further support “Aellinsar’s” point.
If you’re siting straight like in your links, your head should not be back against it.

I believe those are for whiplash prevention, not resting your head.

Reactions: tvad