Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Heat Pump PT Sensor Replacement (P2) - recall - service message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got the same message today, I was expecting it since the start of the year when the first reports came out. Although still a deep sigh from me, it would be nice to make it more than a few months between service appointments. Oh well, appointment booked.

Not had the message yet, thought I may have got away with it but sounds like it will be arriving at some point. Wonder what would happen if I didn't bother having the sensors replaced until they failed apart from no heating / cooling in the cabin?

It appears the messages are staggered. It's unrelated to software version as mine has not updated from 2021.4.15 yet, I only got my message today whereas others were much earlier. I think the message is pushed to the car.

As to what will happen, that's a good question. Given Tesla are doing a soft recall on this and efficiency is mentioned, I gonna guess that they are avoiding some bad press about cars falling short on range/efficiency.

Reactions: K44ENT
I had this fault in December (2 weeks after delivery, 2021 LR). It was temporarily worked around using a software patch, then I was called in for a SC appt some weeks later. 3 sensors replaced, though only 1 was faulty.

Fixed same day - arrived at 10am ready to collect at 3:30pm.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: s88ats
Not had the message yet, thought I may have got away with it but sounds like it will be arriving at some point. Wonder what would happen if I didn't bother having the sensors replaced until they failed apart from no heating / cooling in the cabin?

It's looking like the heating/cooling of the battery will be an issue too (it's all interlinked) so it's not just that you lose HVAC control. This could bring actual performance issues... or perhaps risking the health of the battery pack if it can't be maintained at the correct temperature.

It's looking like the heating/cooling of the battery will be an issue too (it's all interlinked) so it's not just that you lose HVAC control. This could bring actual performance issues... or perhaps risking the health of the battery pack if it can't be maintained at the correct temperature.
Looks like it's worth getting it done then, will get it booked in once I get the message although still no message when I went out an hour ago.

It appears the messages are staggered. It's unrelated to software version as mine has not updated from 2021.4.15 yet, I only got my message today whereas others were much earlier. I think the message is pushed to the car.

As to what will happen, that's a good question. Given Tesla are doing a soft recall on this and efficiency is mentioned, I gonna guess that they are avoiding some bad press about cars falling short on range/efficiency.
Maybe messages are chassis number related as in working through from low to high or even delivery date related. Mine was delivered 21st December 2020 so quite late on in Q4 2020, have quite an early chassis number however.

There is no loss of HVAC, the system runs less efficient.
Maybe messages are chassis number related as in working through from low to high or even delivery date related. Mine was delivered 21st December 2020 so quite late on in Q4 2020, have quite an early chassis number however.

Mine was November delivery, so could be.

I don't think the issue is damaging, catastrophic or safety related at all, as they wouldn't have sat on the issue for 6 months and only fixing when the opportunity arises. It's only a soft recall. I first read about the service bulletin at the start of this year, so they knew about it from the start.

The heat pump still works, it's just on or off as a workaround. I now wonder if the pulsating low hum people hear is part of the software workaround.

Got the message this morning, booked in for this Wednesday, will also mention both my offside 19” Alloys both have matching damage on the inner rims, looks like it may be where the car was restrained on the boat or during shipping. Not impressed with the issues had with the car,

Got the notification this morning (no recent software updates). Booked in for the 1st but wondering if I should delay it as getting ceramic protection and sill PPF fitted this week and worried it may not have fully hardened before the Tesla service technician is dragging cables and pipes all over the car!

Also hoping I’m not going to have to stare at the service car now reminder for the next 2 weeks

Looks like Tesla have started to recall all M3s with a heat pump. This is due to problems that can occur with the HVAC system. Quite a few people are getting service messages appear in their cars the last few days.
Guess it’s related to this.
Had my message on Saturday. Booked in on app straight away. Got an appointment this morning at Chester for 9am.... its they're a I type!!